Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy


Recently I read a novel written in the early 1900's that came highly recommended. Although I had heard of this book, I'd never had the pleasure of reading it. It was brought to my attention after I described to a friend the storyline of my next release,The Falcon and the Sparrow. He said that my story sounded very similar to the Scarlet Pimpernel. So, of course, I had to run out a get a copy. Believe me, I read many novels and quite a few historical novels, and often these "classics" as well as many recently written novels. . . well, frankly they bore me to tears. What a delightful surprise this book was! The writing was exquisite, the characters deep and amusing, the plot full of adventure and suspense. It kept me intriqued up until the last page. So, I thought I'd share it with you. If you're like me, you're always on the lookout for a good read. I would give away my copy, but this is one I'm definitely going to keep on my shelf (sorry)


I heard there was a movie also, starring Jane Seymour, so I'm on the lookout for that as well. By the way, there's a whole website devoted to this book. Check it out at http://www.scarletpimpernel.com/ I was really surprised to find so much hype about it.

(Perhaps I'm the last to know)

No comments:

Post a Comment