Friday, August 15, 2008

My cover for The Red Siren

One of the most fun parts about being an author is getting the first peek at the cover of my new book. My publisher asks for my input before they send it to the design team, and I do my best to describe the characters, the setting, and my vision of what the cover should look like. Truthfully, it never looks like I envision. But in most cases, it looks even better! There are many things to consider when desiging a cover and marketing has a big say in how it appears. They do studies on what types of covers attract the most people: what colors, what scenery, what type of characters. This is so important because the cover has to be so appealing that at the very least, it causes people to pick it off the shelf. After they pick it up, they will read the back and see if the story interests them. At least that's what the studies say, and honestly, that's exactly what I do. If a cover draws my eye, I will definitely pick up the book and read the back. How about you? How much does a good cover influence whether you pick a book off the shelf? What about the opposite question. What if you've heard a certain book is really good and you go to the store to buy it, but the cover is hideous. Do you still buy it?

Well, here's the cover for my upcoming release, The Red Siren. What say you? Would you pick this off the shelf?








Faith Westcott, a fiery redhead, is a lady by day and a pirate by night. How long can she maintain this dual identity before she’s caught red-handed? Dajon Waite, who scours the Carolina coast, expunging it of pirates, is a more-than-capable captain in the British Royal Navy. But when asked to take on the guardianship of Faith and her two sisters, he finds himself in deep water. Having vowed to avoid women, what will he do when he begins falling for Faith? Can the all-consuming love of a godly captain redeem a not-so-ladylike pirate?

4 comments:

  1. I admit that if I'm in a bookstore and I see an interesting cover I will pick up the book. But if I've heard a book is suppose to be really good and I go to buy it and the cover is awful I will still buy it.

    I like your cover and it would cause me to pick it up if I saw it sitting on a shelf but I have to say after reading what the book is about (can't wait to read it btw) the cover doesn't really "fit". Not sure how to explain it...I guess because there is not a hint that she is a pirate until you read what the book is about. But it's still a lovely cover and would make me pick it up. Now I guess I'll go add your new book to my growing wish list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your other's better! hope that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Angie. The cover is definitely interesting and I would pick it up, but it makes me think it is more of just a romance novel, rather than a piratey adventure. But once I read the back, I would not be able to put it back on the shelf :p

    Anyway, this book sounds so cool! How far are you in writing it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on if I know the author or not. If I do and its one of my favorites than probably will pick it up. But if I don't know who the author is (Or have heard of them but haven't read any of their books yet) And if the cover didn't look too great than probably wouldn't pick it up.
    I love the cover and the story sounds sogood!!!:) Can't wait to read it!:)

    ReplyDelete