Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Writer's Life


I went to a book signing this past weekend at a local Christian Book store. I took 2 of my closest friends along and we had a blast! I only sold one book, but enjoyed chatting with all the customers. I hate to break the news to any aspiring authors out there who envision crowds of people lined up to have you sign your book for them, it just doesn't happen that way. Well, not unless you're Steven King or Karen Kingsbury! Honestly, no one really knew who I was or what I was doing there, even though the event had been well advertised. I find these book signings to be a good lesson from God in humility. After I got asked where the bathroom was more than once, I decided I should at least learn it's location so I'd have something to chat about with the customers!
The table cloth you see was made for me by one of my dearest friends and my mentee, Debbie Lynne Costello. I wish you could see it more clearly for it has tall ships and swords on it and the names of my 3 pirate books.
Anyway, I have another book signing this Saturday, October 4th at Berean Bookstore , 3396 Tyler Street, Riverside, CA. For anyone in the neighborhood. And please don't ask me where the bathroom is!
Currently, I'm furiously working on book 2 in the Charles Towne Belles Series, The Blue Enchantress. I'm nearing the end of the story which is always my favorite part.
Also for anyone interested, I have posted most of the first chapter of The Red Siren on my website under New Releases. Check it out and see what you think.

4 comments:

  1. I actually am not going to read the first chapter, because then I will be going crazy waiting for the whole book :p
    That sounds like a really cool table cloth. I wish I lived in CA so I could come to your book signing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd read the first chapter but then I'd be crying for more. Wow, just saw what the person before me said. See! I'm not alone!

    Come to GA, I'd love to have you sign all my books I have of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marylu,

    Seems like you're taking that "autographed only one book" rather well! I'm sure it pricked some, but I still believe you'll be flying your pirate's flag someday soon...you'd have too with the page-turning books you write. I've lent the pirate books you wrote to a whole bunch of my friends and they all LOVE them. Some have said they were the best books they've read in a long time.

    And for the record, I'd pass by Karen Kingsbury books at Barnes and Nobles to get to yours. They are simply my personal preference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are too sweet! Thank you for your comments. They put a smile on my face.

    MaryLu

    ReplyDelete