Thursday, January 22, 2009

Writer's block and God



It's been a rough couple of weeks for me as a writer. After turning in The Blue Enchantress, and gliding through the holidays, I set my sights, all sails bursting with wind, to begin my next novel, The Raven Saint, in January. But after four years of writing and six full length novels, I ran smack dab into the giant wall of Writer's block. For me it's less of a wall and more of a mind-numbing condition where my right brain crosses it's petulant arms over her chest and says "You've got to be kidding me! Another novel? Another set of characters, problems, disasters, adventures, victories?" Then she turns her back on me and pouts and I can't get anything out of her for days Now for those of you who are feeling sorry for my brain right now, thinking I'm some sort of creative slave driver, well, I was feeling that way too--at first. I considered giving her a week or two off to go lounge about the beach somewhere (not actually, but in her dreams) but then I was reminded of that one nasty word all writers tremble with fear over--DEADLINE and I had to get tough. June 30th will come along soon enough, especially with two business trips, a book tour, a crazy, demanding family, and various other unknown interruptions comng my way. So, I got out the drill sergeant whistle and I whipped that right brain into shape. NOT. For those of you creative types out there, you know threats and pressure have no effect on creativity. In fact, my right brain huddled in the corner and began to cry.

I'm telling you all this because 1. I have nothing else to talk about, and 2. My block has crumbled. How? Thanks be to God. I got on my treadmill yesterday, plugged in my IPOD shuffle with my favorite songs, cranked up the speed and jogged. I jogged and I prayed and I pleaded with God and I submitted all to Him, and I praised Him, and after 20 minutes (I know I should have stayed on longer) I stepped off a new person. The tightness in my chest had loosened, there was a smile on my face and I walked right back to my computer and began to type. And my right brain hummed along gleefully. For those of you interested in keeping up with my progress, I've added a bargraph on this blog on the right side.

God is indeed the answer to every question.

8 comments:

  1. Marylu,

    We suffer for our art, don't we. I call it Writers Pause. The reason? Because I got to the place where when this hit me, I'd take a break -- go for a walk, clean house, go out for a day trip. It's a time to let let the muse rest and regroup.

    Question. How long does it take you to write a novel?

    By the way, I've awarded you the Premio-Dardas award.
    Info in on my InSpire blog.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. James 1:3-4

    For you, MaryLu!

    Persevere!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryLu,

    Good for you! I'm glad to hear how you worked through it. I usually pray and go for walks or do something else. I had a similar issue this week and I finally realized what I needed to do, I needed to replot the last quarter of my book and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ladies, your suggestions and scriptures really helped! I'm determined to get at least 50K words cone by the end of February. And with God's help I will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so blessed to have you, MaryLu. Thanks for sharing what you do with writer's block. I'll be praying for you to reach your next goal.
    Wow - 50k words by the end of February!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You better get that book finished! I love your novels. I'm reading The Red Siren, and it's one of the best Christian novels I've read in a very long time! My mother is a huge fan now, and if I didn't have the new book at home, she'd probably tear it out of my hands.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will stand in agreement with you that this will pass and you will be well finished by 6/30/09!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your encouragement and scriptures and for standing with me! I feel so blessed to have such great online friends. God has lifted the floodgates on my writing this week and I've written more than I usually do these past few days. God is good. Thanks for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete