Monday, September 7, 2009

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Baltimore I go!

Tomorrow I'm getting on a plane in California at 6:00 AM (Is anyone up at that hour? Yikes) and crossing the entire country to the east coast, landing in Baltimore, MD. My plan is to spend two days doing research in and around the inner harbor area for my next series, Surrender to Destiny. All three books take place in Baltimore in 1812. On Thursday night, I'm picking up my hubby, who is flying in to join me and we are traveling to Annapolis to visit our daughter attending the Naval Academy. I'll be back in Baltimore Saturday night for the grand War of 1812 Reenactment at Fort McHenry! Very exciting. I hope to be taking lots of pictures and will post them here as soon as I can.

Allow me to share with you a brief list of some of my biggest fears: (I have more than these!)
1. Traveling by myself
2. Cockroaches
3. Public Speaking

Notice the first one. Yes, indeed, I am terrified of flying somewhere by myself, finding a rental car and trying to find my way in a strange city to my hotel. Even then, I'm afraid of going out and about in a strange city by myself. Yes, I know I'm a coward. Not at all like the heroines in my books, eh? LOL. Yet it seems God has been forcing me to face my biggest fears a lot lately (Well all except the cockroaches, thank goodness. I had enough of them in South Florida when I was growing up)

Fear is the opposite of faith, right? And without faith, it is impossible to please God, so when I am afraid, I'm not pleasing God, and that alone makes me want to desperately change. But how do we do that? Fear is not something we can control. I believe God wants us to face our fears and not cower before them. In other words, don't always take the easy road. Do the thing that scares you the most if you feel God leading you there. I think what you'll discover is that the thing you were frightened of the most is nothing at all in the face of an awesome, loving God.

What are you afraid of the most? What are your biggest fears? The death of a loved one, sickness, being alone, an accident, whatever they are, deal with each one individually by bringing them to God and asking yourself what if these things happened? What if? If you are the child of the one true and living God who is all powerful, all knowing and all loving, what if such and such happened. So what? Wouldn't God take care of it? Wouldn't He bring good out of it?

It's only when we are faced with our biggest fears that we discover if we really do believe in God and if we really do trust Him. Maybe that's why sometimes He allows us to confront our fears. He wants to show us that we can count on Him through thick and thin, through the good times and through the bad times.

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline 2 Tim 1:7

So, tomorrow, I'm facing one of my biggest fears. But I know deep down I'm not alone and no matter what happens, I'm in God's capable hands. So, what are your biggest fears?

11 comments:

  1. Dear Miss Tyndall,

    I am so excited to hear that your next series will take place in Baltimore! This is going to be really neat since I live in Baltimore and you are my favorite author :)
    I will pray that you have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement in facing our fears and turning them over to God. I'm sure the next 2 days will be great. I've been to Baltimore a few times and have friends that live there now. It will be great to read a series in a setting that I'm familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so ID with you about fears... not that I have the same ones exactly, but I do know what you mean. It's good when something or Someone nudges us out of our comfort zone! Not fun, but healthy for us!

    So I will be saying a little prayer for you today as you travel and manuever around the complexities alone. I'm sure it will turn out to be an exciting trip. The heroine of some of my hen scratching is a Baltimore girl (not that the story is set there at all) so I think it sounds like interesting research. I grew up in Maine and lived 8 years on an island off the coast of southern Chile, so I'm with you when it comes to all things marine!! Maybe that's why I've enjoyed your books so much.

    Have a great week, MaryLu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I can say EVERYTHING. I am afraid of even leaving my house, when I have to go our I can't wait to get back home.

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a safe trip.

    And thanks for this post..I struggle with so many different fears and I've been working on facing them (turning them over to God) and not letting them rule over me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of my biggest fears boil down to a fear of weakness - I fear the inability to fight off an attcker (taking night courses on a college campus makes you aware of many more creeps than you were ever aware of), I fear that I will become intimidated in a moral debate and not stand up for what I know is right, and many other situations that all stem from that one common root. I, too, need to learn to trust fully in the Lord.
    -Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MaryLu, I don't blame your fears of traveling by yourself, cockroaches and public speaking. Those are my top fears, too. Although, I hate ALL bugs! :)

    Lol, you are a hero MaryLu!! You will go right through Baltimore and find a car to get to your hotel and enjoy yourself. I know you will write an amazing series again! God loves you and would never put you through something you can't handle. Whenever I'm scared to do something I don't like to do I pray like crazy hopping everything will be ok. It will always be, nothing is as bad as we think it is. :)

    I'm praying you will be safe while you're in Baltimore and have good luck with your research!
    God Bless you MaryLu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you to have a safe trip! And to net be afraid! Have fun!
    ~Carman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for your comments, encouragment and prayers! I'm here safely, although I did get lost in downtown Baltimore trying to find my hotel. I started to panic a bit but then said a prayer and called my hubby who google mapped me safely to port! Between God and my hubby, I'm in good hands! So, now I'm off to explore the USS Constellation today! Have a blessed day, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for facing your fears, MaryLu.

    I'd have to say my worst fear has evolved into a phobia. I'm intensely terrified of snakes. Panic attack terrified. I know it's not healthy to have such a fear. A friend suggested exposure therapy, but I gotta say, it's going to a whole lotta prayers before that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you found your way MaryLu! I would have made a scene if I couldn't find my way to the hotel. :D lol well probably not but pretty close. Good thing you have such a wonderful and caring husband who looks out for you!
    Is this your first day in Baltimore? Do you like it there?

    God Bless you on your trip!!
    You will be ok MaryLu! :)

    ReplyDelete