Monday, October 26, 2009

I will not lose even one of all those He has given me

If you're like me, you've got people in your life who, if they died this very moment would go to hell. I hate to be so callous, but let's not mince words. Let's speak the truth. Perhaps it's a family member or a close friend, but either way, it's very heart-breaking. Maybe you've prayed and prayed for years for this person, but they've stubbornly resisted hearing the truth.

I find Jesus's words to his disciples in John 6 extremely comforting.

However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them. For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. John 6:37-39

Without getting into a theological debate about predesination, what this scripture says to me is that if God has called my loved ones, then they will come to Him before they die. One way or another, He will get their attention. I have witnessed this myself when my stubborn atheist husband refused to listen to anything I said about God for years and years. Finally, one day when I had given up on him ever seeing the truth (God, by the way, never gives up), my husband had a miraculous encounter with the living God up on the hill behind our house. And just like Paul's vision in Acts, he was never the same.

Remember Paul? He was about as far away from God as anyone could get. He was actually killing Christians! He'd probably heard all the arguments these new followers of Jesus had about their beliefs, but he was a stubborn intellectual who thought he knew more than anyone. Know anyone like that? I do. But, you see, Paul had been chosen by God, so God could never go back on His decision or His word and give up on Paul. So what did God do? He visited and spoke to him in an ominous voice and then blinded him (literally) with a bright light. I believe at this point, Paul still had his free will. He could have denied the entire encounter and explained it away as some natural phenomina. But he didn't.

So, don't give up on those stubborn loved ones of yours. Never give up. If God has put them on your heart, let me go out on a limb and say it's probably because they are chosen. And even if they stubbornly hold out until the bitter end of their life, Jesus will get them. Even if He has to appear in person to get their attention. For He can do anything. And tell me, how many people would turn away from the truth after they've been offered such awesome proof as a real-life encounter with the living God. Not many. Like my husband who swore for years there was no God, his mind entirely changed in a single second. That's all it takes.

So, keep praying. Keep believing, for our Lord will not lose not one single person God has given Him.

5 comments:

  1. MaryLu,
    Thank you for these encouraging words. I have been praying for my Aunt for a long time and it seems she is only getting farther into the world. Your post reminded me that God's time is not our time.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful post MaryLu- thank you. I'm glad that your husband is now a believer in God. I do constantly pray for people like that. Even when I know I should pray for them and I usually really don't want to because I am really mad at them, but I still do it. Praying is good and I have been doing more of it lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worry about some of my families' souls, but even though we think they may not be a Christian only God and themselves know for sure, so all we can do it pray that they are Christians as it is so easy to become one. You just have to believe that Jesus came and died for our sins and ask for forgiveness and it is so simple. It is like someone giving you a gift they can hold it out to you but if you don't take it, then you lose. So please everyone just trust in the Lord and accept Him

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this encouraging word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got around to checking blogs today and really appreciate this encouragement. My whole family is unsaved and I've been praying for them for years. Everything in God's time. . .

    ReplyDelete