Monday, January 4, 2010

So what will 2010 be like for you?

 Will 2010 be just another year for you? Another year more of school finished, another year at your job, another year attending your church, raising your kids, hanging with your friends?

Or will it be a year you look back on and say: 
"That's the year my life changed. That's the year I stepped out of the boat and actually dared to believe God at His Word. That's the year, the miracles began. That's the year I found my purpose."

The older I become, the more I realize how short life is. We really don't have much time here in this age.  Yes, there's things we have to do like work and go to school and raise a family. But what are we going to do with the rest of our time?

My New Year's resolution is to know Jesus more. Pure and simple. I want to really get to know Him. And to do that I've got to spend more time with Him, read His Word, and abide in His presence. That's where it all begins. We can do Nothing apart from Him. The more we know Him, the more we are like Him and the more impact we will have on others and the world. And that's what it's all about, isn't it? Nothing will matter when we stand before Him. Not our level of education, not our job performance, not how many books we've written, or kids we've raised. The real question will be, what did we do with the Holy Spirit living within us? Did we push Him aside? ignore Him? Grieve Him? and go about our own agenda? Or did we give Him full reign over us. Did we believe Him and allow God's power to flow through us to a dying world?

I don't know about you but I could use a miracle this year in the lives of some of my loved ones. And it just so happens I know a God who's in the business of miracles!  This year, I'm going to know Him more and in the knowing, I'm going to believe Him more, and in the believing is where the miracles happen!

Want to join me in the adventure?

Here's a statement from a pastor who was martyred in Zimbabwe Africa. I pray it encourages and blesses you. 

I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed! I have the Holy Spirit's power! The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made-I'm a disciple of His! I won't look back ,let up, slow down, back away ,or be still. My past is redeemed ,my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished with low living ,sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams ,tamed visions ,worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence ,position, promotions ,plaudits ,or popularity. I don't have to be right ,first ,tops ,recognized, praised ,regarded ,or rewarded. I now live by faith ,depend on His presence, walk by patience ,am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power. That's what it means to be a disciple of Jesus!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, MaryLu. These were great and powerful thoughts to start my day! I am thankful you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, and Amen to that !!!
    In Him, Brenda H
    (brennie7@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post MaryLu. I am already starting my year off great. I feel like this will be my year when I grow the most in my faith! I think God is testing me because at school insecure girls ask me about my faith and stuff. Today, i got asked by three different girls about how do i look at things since im Christian. Now these girls see me as a saint...they dont think I have done anything wrong in my life(which isn't true, no one is perfect). One was asking me about my dating life...one is asking about things I've done bad...another was asking if I would hate someone who wasn't my own religion.
    God must have put the right words into my head because I got an interesting response from each of them. I LOVE to talk to people about God! Girls listen better than boys I noticed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks MaryLu. I was definitely uplifted by the words of the Zimbabwe pastor. My favorite part was "My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure." Beautiful words. May the Lord continue to bless your writing and your family in this new year. Amanda Lewis
    jon.lewis16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete