Friday, September 10, 2010

Back from Ohio and free book winners!

Hi everyone! A seriously jetlagged MaryLu here to announce the winners of my two recent contests.
Congratulations to Michelle F who won Healer by Linda Windsor and
Congratulations to Brenda Hurley who won Anonymous Bride by Vickie McDonough!!! 

Thanks to all who entered.

OHIO Trip
I had a wonderful time in Ohio at my publishers, Barbour. They rolled out the red carpet for me and my fellow authors, Kaye Dacus, Ronie Kendig and Kelly Eileen Hake and made us feel very special. I arrived rather bedraggled and already tired late Monday afternoon. (Let me tell you, the 3 hour time difference is a killer!) For some reason, I became the designated driver of the rental car! Me, who can't find her way around San Jose after having lived here for 30 years! Anyway, with my google map and Ronie's help, we found the hotel and enjoyed a great dinner. 
The next morning, it was up bright and early for an all day marketing seminar given by Rob Eagar with Wildfire marketing. (I had to get up at 7:00 am, which was 4:00 am Pacific time!)  The seminar was awesome and we all learned a great deal. In fact, you'll be seeing some changes to my website around the beginning of next year with lots more free goodies for my readers, downloadable bookmarks, screen savers, deleted scenes from books...etc..  and a place where you can sign up to become part of MaryLu's crew!  I'm still working out all the ideas. Basically I'll be doing a lot more for you, my loyal readers!!

After our seminar, Barbour took all of us out for a delicious dinner, then it was back to the hotel where I crashed!! and then up again early the next morning for individual meetings for each of us with Barbour. During my meeting one of the things we discussed was what I'll be writing next. That should be finalized sometime next month and I'll share it with you all then. I'm very excited!!

After our meetings, we had lunch and then it was off to the airport only to find out that my plane was delayed and I may not make my connection in Atlanta which meant I would have to fly into San Francisco at midnight instead of San Jose at 9:30 (Which by the way would be 3:00 am and 12:30 am for me now since I finally switched to east coast time!) 
But God is good! My flight from Atlanta to San Jose was delayed so I made it just as they were starting to board. I have to tell you, though, I hate sitting on an airplane for 5 hours!!  I'm so glad to be home!

I'd like to ask those of you who read my books and follow my blog if you have any ideas of things you'd like to see on my website. Any freebies you can think of that you'd be interested in, or any service I can provide for you. I'm open to all ideas. After all, I look at my writing as a ministry and ministering to you, my readers, is the most important thing to me.

13 comments:

  1. Sept 10th,
    Good morning, MaryLu !
    "Thank-you, thank-you, and thank-you" ... so VERY much for the gift of winning "Anonymous Bride" (by Vickie McDonough) !!! I was just so thrilled to see my name there, as one of the winners !!! And congrats to Michelle F as well !
    I'll be sure to let you know when I've read it. Great timing too ... I was out of reading material, yet again ! Thanks, MaryLu !!!! Truly !!!
    So glad you had a wonderful time, and, that other authors were able to go along with you ... to enjoy the ride, and, the marketing seminar. (And so glad .. that you made it back home again, safely.)
    As far as 'ideas for your blog' ... I'll have to give that some careful thought. I already like what you do with you blog ... you inform us of - things happening in the world, and, in your own life as well ... I like that. Plus, you keep us up-to-date with your book writing, and what is happening there. You even acredit and encourage other (and sometimes 'new') authors ...
    At this moment ... I can't think of anything else. Maybe as the day continues on, I will ....
    Anyway ... off and running to the "new class" I am attending for a few weeks .... for "55 and over" ... at the Job Gym. It goes from 9-4. (There are only seven of us in attendance.)
    Have a wonderful day !
    And again, thank-you so very much for the book-win !!! I am so very blessed !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley
    ( brennie7@hotmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to the free book winners. That's so cool. "Healer" sounds like a really interesting book and I do love Great Britain in its very early years. So i may go out and buy that :)

    I'm so glad you had a great time at Barbour. That's awesome...and that too me speaks a lot about the company...so I'm glad you were treated well :) :)

    I don't have any ideas for your website or what else you can offer. I'm really happy with how things are now. However, it will be excited to see what the new changes will be coming up soon :) :) So that will be fun!!! Downloadable bookmarks...that sounds cool. I love bookmarks. Oh, the other thing I like besides the books themselves...wink, wink...are the refrigerator magnets that talk about your books. Those are fun, too!!! Well, whatever you decide, it will be grand...of that I have no doubt!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Michelle and Brenda! Enjoy your books.

    It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I am so glad to here that. Wow, a red carpet for you...I am not surprised you are pretty amazing if you ask me!! =] I do not know anybody that likes to fly on airplanes...5 hours is just to long but it sounds worth it from the experience you had. Hmmm, ideas about things I would like to see on your website. Well, I have no clue what an author should have on their website. I like what you do have and your new ideas are great. I might need to think on this. =]

    Have a wonderful day MaryLu, God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie Mitchell debsbunch5@jesusanswers.comSeptember 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM

    Welcome home, MaryLu, and congrats to the winners! First of all, I am officially requesting permission to join your crew, as first mate? ;o)
    Your website seems pretty good the way it is, but your new ideas sound great. All I ask is that you continue to stay true to your calling. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for the warm welcome home! I really appreciate it!! Heather if you'd like some magnets, I'd be more than happy to send you some.. just email me privately.
    Tori, thanks for your kind words.
    Debbie, first mate, eh? That sounds good to me. :-)
    I'm anxious to make some of the changes I learned but they'll have to wait until after my next deadline. Have a great weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed when I read this. That sounds like so much fun!!!
    Oh my! I love the ideas you wrote about for changes: I can’t wait!!!
    Thank you for posting, and then replying to our comments (my old favorite authors never did, quite annoying), it means a lot.
    Yes! I love your books!
    God bless,
    Abigail =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey again! Sorry I already commented, but I just talked to my mother (shared this post with her) and she said, "Go ask her if she's read the book, 'The Walk' by Richard Paul Evans." I haven't read it but she says it's, "Awesome." So have you read it?
    I am rolling my eyes. My mother is so random! Mothers! =D
    God bless,
    ~Abigail =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Abigail, please tell your mother that no, I haven't read that book. And it's okay that she's random. I'm a mother too. We get that way some times!! I'll check out the book.
    Also, regarding my responding to posts, don't blame some authors. I'm sure they'd like to reply to posts but it's very time consuming and you wouldn't believe how little time authors have, particularly if they are best-selling. I do my best to keep in touch with my readers and I hope I'll always be able to. But if I don't comment sometimes, it's because I'm under a tight deadline and not because I don't care.
    Anyway, thanks for your comments and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad gave me some ideas of what might be cool for your website. I do already enjoy what you do but if you really want ideas I have a few. If you had key chains, mugs, bumper stickers, or pens with stuff about your books on them. People use these things all the time- it would be great for advertising!! =]

    p.s. You have magnets for your book? That is so cool! =] I didnt know that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had such a great trip! :-)

    I can't think of any other ideas, but the ones you already have sound great! Especially the part about "joining your crew"...hmm, I'm intrigued! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas, Tori!! I'll pass those onto my publisher. Yes, I do have magnets.. send me your address again and I'll send what I have to you.
    In fact, if anyone wants them, let me know. They are miniature book covers of my Surrender series and one of the Charles Towne Belles Series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow i cant wait sounds awesome!
    Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie Mitchell debsbunch5@jesusanswers.comSeptember 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM

    MaryLu, I would love some magnets! You should already have my address.

    ReplyDelete