Friday, June 10, 2011

Casual Fridays!

I never know what to blog about on Fridays, so I thought I'd just make them "Casual Fridays" from here on out. This is where I will blab on about something I've been doing or thinking about, give movie reviews, books reviews, etc.  And anyone out there is free to comment and/or leave me a question about anything they'd like to know. About me, about my books, my opinion on anything.  Or feel free to converse with each other!

First some business. If you aren't a part of my Motley crew then you may not have heard that  I've just signed a contract with EChristian publishing to have my pirate series put back in print (In case you haven't noticed you can only buy used copies online and stores no longer carry them) EChristian will also have the books placed in E-book form on ALL the popular venues, including just reading it on your computer. As you may also have remembered, my last publisher, Barbour, took the pirate books out of print shortly after The Restitution was released. They told me sales had dwindled and they didn't feel pirates were popular any more. At the time, it broke my heart because I didn't feel the books had run their course.


Anyway, as a result of this contract, I've been re-editing the books... going through them and tightening up the writing a bit as they were the first books I wrote and the writing was a bit scraggly, if ye know what I mean. But, I've enjoyed the stories all over again! In fact, they've given me a taste for pirate tales again. Unfortunately, I have 4 more books to write before I can head back to the Caribbean. But I hope to do so in the future.

My road to good health!
Many of you may not know that I'm a bit of a health freak. Well, let's just say it was forced upon me due to my body being so genetically incapable of handling stress or junk food.  After I turned 50, I started having all sorts of problems, not the least which was a rapid weight gain.  I went to several nutritionists, a homeopathic doctor and a real doctor, but no one was able to help. So I did my own research. I changed my eating habits and I lost 10 pounds so far as well as helped some other things, such as insomnia and hot flashes. I know many of you are young out there, but it's not too late to take care of yourself.

Here's a brief summar of what I did.
  • Each morning I make a protein shake from Pumpkin seed powder, but you can use any good quality protein shake powder. I add Flax seed oil, Kefer, a scoop of Green Vibrance (An excellent green food with lots of vits and minerals), Coconut milk, hazelnut milk and frozen pineapples. (Yum!)
  • For lunch: Tuna, almond butter and jelly, or a salad with some kind of protein: nuts or chicken or shrimp
  • Snack: Every day I always eat 1 apple, carrot sticks, and raw nuts
  • Dinner: The important thing here is to have a protein and a carb. And always add fresh veggies
  • As much as possible, always eat organic veggies and fruits
  • As much as possible, purchase organic free rannge beef and chicken and fresh fish
  • Eat your veggies and fruit raw instead of frozen or canned or cooked.
  • Every day eat 1/2 of a large red beet. I steam them and add butter and salt. Yummy
  • Avoid sugar. Eat a minium of dairy.
  • Eat as much salt (Celtic sea salt is full of important minerals) and real butter as you want.
  • Sweeten drinks and food with raw, organic honey. Honey is really good for you!
  • Stay away from processed foods and high-glycemic carbs
The hormones that most farms inject into cows and other animals and spray over your vegetables and fruits are what is causing so many women to suffer from hormone problems these days. Purchasing orgainic is more expensive but worth your health in the long run.  I don't know why but eatting an apple, a beet and some carrots each day seem to have cleaned out my liver and made my digestion much better

Anyway, I feel great! I'm sleeping better. And I'm continuing to lose weight. Oh, I also might mention that I do exercise. Not much.. but I do walk about 40 minutes a day. I don't think you can really lose weight and feel good without some sort of exercise.

Anyway, I thought this might help someone out there. Hope it does!

13 comments:

  1. Friday, June 10th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    "Casual Fridays" ... I like it !!! Just to sit, talk, share, exchange -- thoughts, ideas, comments ... neat !!!
    Well, I for one ... have said all along ... that my 'hope', was for your 'pirate novels' to continue on !!! Of "all" your books, MaryLu ... the pirate series totally captivated me the most ! (No kidding !!!) I'm so thrilled for you, that they are coming back into print. (I also agree, that they just weren't given enough time to 'run their course', as you said.) Good for you, and, for EChristian Publishing !!!
    As to your "Road to good Health" ... wow, that is something I could sure use !!! Thanks for sharing, and about the weight gain .... and now, the weight loss. That's great, MaryLu !!!
    If you think -- once you've turned '50', there are increased health problems ... just wait until you've turned '60' !!!
    I take a Soy, Women's Protein drink, every morning. But, I know I need to do so much more. For years, I have had osteo-arthritis in both knees. This past Spring, for at least a good two months, I was in such pain and agony ... whether -- walking, sitting, standing, or, lying down ! There must have been a tremendous amount of inflammation too ... as I was limping, and, next to tears so often. At times the pain was excruciating, unbearable, and definitely debilitating.
    Of course, my family Dr, said -- "You NEED to lose weight", and, "You NEED to exercise ... walk, etc."
    Sugar is my major down-fall ... I love sweets and desserts.
    One thing I've done, which has actually been 'fun' and 'interesting' is .... I've purchased a "Magic Bullet". Am now making smoothies daily, adding fruits and juices -- all natural ingredients.
    Thank-you for sharing all that you have done, to change your 'health life-style'. And as proof -- you feel great, are sleeping better, and 'still' continuing to lose weight !!! "CONGRATULATIONS !!!" I absolutely, MUST get into the habit of walking, at least !!!
    And I most definitely NEED to make changes to my 'eating habits'.
    Yes, this post has helped, MaryLu. It just re-enforced what I 'know' ... I 'should be' doing !!!
    BRENDA: Make positive changes, toward the 'road to good health', and, 'weight loss' !!! NOW !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy, Cap'n! :) well, I think I like Casual Fridays already haha! I'm so glad that your pirate books are being put back into circulation! I agree with Brenda, They were truly my favorites. Are there going to be any significant changes in the books? or just smaller edits? Congratz on that though :) that is VERY exciting.
    And ooooh, sugar is my downfall when it comes to "healthiness". I need to lose some weight it's hard to change eating habits that you've had all your life :/ let me tell ya, i've figured out something...that's where prayer comes in haha!!! It may sound silly, but you know as well as I that God listens to all of our "un-important" prayers too lol...and it might seem small to you, but God can help :)
    Well, I hope you have a blessed day :)
    your loyal crew member,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MaryLu :) :)

    I like this Casual Friday post :) :) Oh, I'm glad your earlier pirate books will be available again :) :) That's really good news :) :) :)

    Thanks for sharing your health information. I've gained a lot of weight in the past year...really a lot..I've always been a little curvy anyway, but this is strange...and I'm slowly making changes in my diet too :) :) That protein shake in the morning sounds really interesting :) :)

    I've got a little bit of avocado ice cream left :) :) Yummy...all for me :) :) I like that it has avocado in it ;) :)

    Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lu --I am so proud of you!
    In the year 2000 I really did a
    turnaround about the stewardship of my body. In my January prayer and fast the Lord spoke to me: "You are a better steward of your money than your body. If you don't become a better steward of your body, someone else will become steward of that dab of money! DUH! I got it! That whole year the Lord showed me many things about diet and exercise.
    And I began to teach a Healing School also for others. God is so good. Jesus is my PRIMARY Physician. He is the only one NOT PRACTICING. Bless you, Elva Martin
    Anderson, SC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, I'm so sorry about your knees. That sounds painful. But your docs are right. Losing weight would really help.
    Sounds like most of us have problems with sugar. Do your research on it. It's a POISON! It will cause you to age faster. It lowers your immune system, puts weight on you, ruins your teeth, and a variety of other really bad things. And it's in most of our processed foods. Honey is a great alternative, but there are also other substitutes that are pretty good. I like Xylitol. To me, it tastes just like sugar. Anyway, of all the things you can do to improve your health, avoiding sugar is one of the most important. I do have one piece of chocolate each day. Just one small piece.. so I don't feel deprived.

    I agree, Laura, asking for God's help with this is essential. He wants to help us and guide us.. even in the small things.

    Heather, my nutritionist told me I wasn't having nearly enough protein.. that my diet was mostly carbs! And protein is vitally important so that's why I have that shake every morning. Most people eat carbs for breakfast.. muffins, toast, donuts, pastries. That's the worst thing for you. I've never had avocado icecream but it sounds delish!!

    Elva, that is so cool that you teach a Healing school! Is it primarily about nutrition? Where do you teach? I agree that God expects us to take good care of our bodies. So many Christians let themselves fall apart and then complain to God about their bad health.

    And exercise, ladies! It doesn't have to be anything big... but choose something you enjoy. I love to walk...it's when I pray, talk on the phone, or plot my stories. Thankfully, the weather here allows me to walk outside most of the year.

    Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, MaryLu, lots of info. I too suffer from hot flashes and insomnia. Menopause may be a sign of a new chapter starting in our lives, but MAN why does it have to pack such a punch?! lol
    Thanks for the health tips. Lately, I have been getting more than enough exercise; helping BOTH of my girls move into their new places.
    The sun is definitely making a show up here. It's hot, but it's supposed to be hot in June.
    Stay cool. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Debbie, we are finally getting some sun here too! Praise God!
    Menopause. Don't get me started. It has been a horrible journey for me, but I'm learning to take better care of myself now. I found some progesterone pills on Amazon that really help with the hot flashes. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the name. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure, I could use all the help I can get. I could be sitting in an air conditioned room eating a popsicle and yet dying from a hot flash. And I hate the 'dread' feeling I get before I have one.
    Anyway, go ahead and give me the name and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunday, June 12th,
    Heh again "all".
    Not that I watch the Dr Oz show daily, but on Friday ... he had guests on, who had learned/benefitted from wonderful health tips that Dr Oz gave (of natural ingredients).
    For weight loss, he recommended: "Agave Nectar" .... which you can apparently purchase in a grocery store, or, in a Health Food Store (and, it's inexpensive).
    So, someone came up with their own concoction of a diet drink or smoothie (that you could easily make in some kind of a blender) ....
    - 1 teaspoon - Agave Nectar
    - 1 tspn or tbspn - peanut butter
    - Skim milk (whatever amount)
    - 1 tspn or tbspn - cocoa
    - 1 ripe banana
    - (Can use Manuka Honey as well).
    Have not tried this actual mixture, yet. But, I did just make a smootie with all natural ingredients ... plus, added the Agave Nectar, and Manuka Honey.
    And yes ... I need to do plenty of walking, as well.
    Just thought I would share this, for anyone who is interested.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brenda, that actually sounds good. I may just try that. Once the baby shower is out of the way and I can get back to my 'usual' day to day life, I am going to try and set up some kind of healthy eating and exercise program for myself. I checked my blood pressure the other day and it was a bit high. I need to relaaaaaaaaaaaaaax! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brenda, I use Agave Nectar in my smoothies too! Sometimes honey, but usually Agave. That smoothie sounds delish!! You'll have to let us know if it turns out as good as it sounds.
    And Debbie, I order you to rest. Get to your hammock immediately and get some shut eye. That's an order from your Captain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so good of you Captain!! Exciting!I have health issues too, and my mom has gone all organic food on us. :P If possible, organic is what we buy, even with money tight. Something that my mom does in the morning is has Kefir, sliced apples, and a couple tablespoons of hemp seeds. Super healthy for you too! That is so good that you have got your health back! I find that if I eat my organic healthy food, do my devotions in the morning, and do some sort of exercise that makes me break a sweat, I have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aye, aye, Cap'n! But wait, I still have stuff to do.........just kiddin'. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete