Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!!

I made a huge mistake when I was newly married and very naive, I told my husband that I didn't like Valentine's day because it made romance so forced and commercial. Men and women felt pressured to go out and buy something for their loved one or plan a fancy, expensive dinner. And I didn't want that! I wanted my man to be spontaneous and think of those things on his own, not be forced because of a stupid holiday!  (Yes, I was a hopeless romantic back then)

I have since learned (and most married women are nodding their heads) that it must have been a brilliant woman who invented Valentine's day when she realized after just a few years of marriage that her husband was not spontaneous and would never think to bring her flowers or chocolates on his own!  I say this all in fun because my husband is so wonderful in so many ways...(In fact, he just got me the most gorgeous flowers for my birthday! And diamond earrings for our last anniversary)  But let's face it, most men  are not too good with romance. (If you have one who is, don't let him go!)  Regardless, we all need a day that forces us to stop and think about that special someone in our lives, otherwise life gets too busy and we get caught up in work and kids and chores and errands and problems, and we forget what's truly important.

So whatever you have planned for today, be sure and tell your special someone that you love him or her. But not only that, tell them why you love them. It's easy to say I love you.. but much more important to tell someone why. It makes them feel special. Which is what we all want in the end, isn't it?

And if you don't have a special someone this year, why not curl up with a good romance novel? (hint, hint!)   Either way, I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's day!


8 comments:

  1. Thurs Feb 14th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    I haven't liked Valentines Day for many a year now ... but as I've 'somewhat matured' (and only somewhat) .... I've accepted that it's a day for others, and not necessarily myself. And, that's okay, truly. Because, I know without a doubt "Who" loves me, and that just maybe ... I am "His Valentine" ... so to speak.
    So, Happy Valentines Day back to you and your family, MaryLu ... and, to "all" the crew members !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed Brenda.. God is a father to the fatherless and a husband to widows... You are His Valentine today.. and may He show you just how special you are to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you, MaryLu. And, to you as well !
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day ladies! I love that we can extend that love to others as well, in a non-romantic way. We can love because He first loved us. In school this morning with my kids, I gave them each a print out of the verse "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." That's a valentine from God. :)
    So, Brenda, know that you too are loved in a special way too, from your God, and also from your Cross and the Cutlass buddies! :)
    I'm always blessed to be a part of this blog with such great women - women who are real, have real struggles, yet who know that God loves with an everlasting love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feb 15th,
    P.S. -- thank-you Caroline ... your words and thoughts meant a lot. Hope you had a 'Happy Valentines' day. And, how wonderful you were able to share God's Word with school kids !!! And in particular ... what an amazing and awesome verse to share !!!
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I didn't plan something for Valentine's Day, I'm quite sure my husband would never think of it! However, I can't complain as he is always game for whatever I come up with. Yesterday we took our 20-something daughter out to lunch with us, for something different. And he was willing to give up his swim time for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Valentines to all my special ladies who consistently comment on my blog! Your comments and opinions and rejoices mean so much to me!
    Diane S. We missed you. Hope all is well.

    I thought I should add that my husband surprised me with the sweetest card telling me he'd be lost without me and the most divine box of chocolates. I didn't expect anything at all.. as usual.. so this was a real shock and a pleasant surprise. God is good!

    ReplyDelete