Friday, September 6, 2013

San Diego Tall Ship Festival 2013!!


Last weekend, my husband and I went to San Diego for the annual Tall Ship Festival!!  We had a BLAST! Literally.  I hope you enjoy a few of the pictures below.  I hope to post most or all of them on Pinterest and on my website too as soon as I can.

First, this is one of my favorite shots. The HMS Surprise at sunset. This is the ship they used in the movie, Master and Commander and also in Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

HMS Surprise


Gun deck
One of the guns. They each had names!



Notice the hammock in the background. The men also slept on the gun deck. Every night they'd string up their hammocks and every morning, they'd take them down.





Officer's quarters



Captain's Quarters
The Captain's quarters were pretty big! They were located at the stern of the ship and had beautiful stern windows as you can see looking out on the water. There was a large table, a bed, a desk, trunk and two cannons!

Captain's Quarters
Ship's wheel
Main Deck
Crow's Nest! (Hi Chappy!)
Isn't she gorgeous?

Me and the Captain!















Who's that old Sea Dog?  Me hubby!



The Stern!
















The Crew!
Who be that talkin' to the Marine?

It be Cap'n Jack!!


















And last but not least! Here's a short video of part of our Cannon Battle. We were sailing on the Spirit of Dana Point, which is a replica of a 1770 privateer used during the US Revolution. The other ship that is firing on us is the Irving Johnson, A Brigantine



Have a BLAST this weekend!!!! 


.

7 comments:

  1. Fri Sept 6th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Wonderful pictures !!! Especially love the first one, the HMS Surprise ... the way you captured it, the sun shining through the lines, the ship in all of its majesty, the sky/clouds ... this picture could be a postcard it is SO good !!! You really took excellent and interesting shots, and truly looks like you and your husband had a wonderful time. Happy for you !
    Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! Sailing was not for the claustrophobic, huh? It's amazing to see all the lines, ropes and sails that in my mind just seem a like large spiderweb. My respect for those sailors who know how to man them. Makes me want to read all your books over again, now that I see these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's FANTASTIC! I love this! I'm glad you had a great time. I just had to show my kiddos the pictures too, as my older 2 have seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I would love to tour the HMS Surprise as well. The captain had it good, didn't he? Nice quarters for him!

    Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, Cap'n! I love the shot of me crow's nest! So happy that ye were able to take this trip! Yer hubby be lookin' good, too! So, did Cap'n Jack try to get ye to help him commandeer the ship?
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a wonderful time! I love the pictures! And Captain Jack Sparrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots MaryLu.

    Here's a directory of many tall ships, along with their widely storied histories.

    ReplyDelete