Monday, August 11, 2014

God will fight your battles!

We are at war. Some of us are on the wrong side. Some are sitting on the sidelines.  Others are at the
back of the advancing troops, while some of us are on the front lines, engaging the enemy. If you're a follower of Jesus and you don't believe or see the battle raging around you, then might I suggest you are either sitting on the sidelines or cowering in the back?.  In which case, satan has won a victory in your life by blinding you and making you no threat to him.

Can I share something personal? Recently, I've entered a time of heavy fighting in my life. A situation has arisen in which I find myself on the front lines. Yikes! It's a situation involving a person who is very very dear to me, and the battle is for his soul. I have a chance to influence this person like I've never had before and time is ticking away.  So, what do I do? I gird up my loins (Not even sure what that means but it sounds good!),  I dive into the Scriptures, I pray, fast, and look for any opportunities!

Now, these are all well and good, but where I get into trouble is where I always get into trouble. I try to control things. When the battle doesn't seem to be going the way I think it should, my faith in my Commander starts to waver, my trust diminishes and I grab my sword and charge ahead without orders.  I mean, doesn't the Commander see what's happening? Surely, He needs my help!!  But what ends up happening is I get anxious, fearful, stressing over every thought, action, and deed.  I lose my peace. (Which is a good sign that I've pulled rank)

All last week, I oscillated between peace and trust and stress and worry. Did I say the right thing? Did I do the right thing? Should I be saying or doing something else? A person could go mad!!  In the middle of it all, my time with the Father has been so sweet. He's so gracious to me and so understanding. Amazing. 

One day I was reading Psalm 18 and here are clips of what it said.
The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Deliverer, my God, my strength in whom I will trust. My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I will call upon the Lord, who is to be praised and so shall I be saved from my enemies

It goes on to describe how God comes down from Heaven and the earth quaked and rocked and smoke came out of His nostrils and lightning from His mouth.. how He bowed the heavens and rode on the wings of the wind... how He sends out His arrows and scattered the enemy.. how He flashes forth lightnings and put them to rout..

He reached from on high.... He delivered me from my strong enemy... For by God I can run through a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall!! 

It goes on. I encourage you to read it for yourself.  Of all the times for me to read this psalm, God led me to it now when I'm engaged in battle! He's telling me that HE will defeat my enemies and that if He wants my help, He will enable me to do battle and win! 

I searched other Scriptures that say the same thing.. that it is God who fights for us and not us

The Lord your God who goes before you will Himself fight on your behalf  Deuteronomy 1:30
Do not fear them, for the Lord your God is the one fighting for you. Deuteronomy  3:22
One of your men puts to flight a thousand, for the Lord your God is He who fights for you, just as He promised you. Joshua 23:10
With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the Lord our God, to help us and to fight our battles. 2 Chronicles 32:8
Our God will fight for us! Nehemiah 4:20

Then at church Sunday, guess what the very first worship song was about??  You got it, God fighting our battles for us.  Think the Father is trying to tell me something??

If you're going through some troublesome times, if you feel attacked on all sides.. maybe it's health issues, maybe money, maybe job, maybe relationship... maybe like me you have loved ones who don't know God, or maybe the enemy is burdening you with depression or loneliness, first recognize you are in a battle, next get close to your Commander (pray and read His Battle manual!) next  follow His orders, and finally rest, be at peace, trust and believe that HE is fighting the battle for you and because of that, victory is assured!



.

10 comments:

  1. Mon 11th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Again, another excellent message -- a timely word in due season !!! "Amen and Amen" to all that you shared. I'm sure all of us will identify with today's message ... I know I did. And the verses are awesome. I especially love Psalms 18.
    Oh, that I could remember it is "God" who will fight my battles ! I too like to be in control ... but the irony is -- the more happenings occuring in life, I am learning I'm definitely NOT the one in control of !!!
    Praying for your situation on the battle-field in those 'front lines' ... that God will give you His peace, and, knowledge of -- when to speak and what to say.
    Thank-you again for sharing this, MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who better to fight for us than God Himself?? Though often times it's hard to turn the battle over to Him. Thanks for sharing your personal struggle so that we can be praying (God's ammunition) for you.

    On a totally off-topic note: The picture above looks like one that would appear on one of Tamara Leigh's books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! To let go and let God is a hard lesson to learn. Amy, yes, it does look like it's from the same artist!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for another wonderful post on which to meditate, MaryLu!!

    After living alone for 25 years - I've become good at the art of controlling, also!! I, too, have a loved one who doesn't know God - one who has said he doesn't even want to hear God, religion, etc. mentioned. But I have had to learn that the harder I push - the farther he runs and the more angry he becomes, and the greater chance that I may have interferred with God's plan. I give gifts of Christian movies or books containing people/subjects in which he is interested - when the opportunity arises, and continue to show love and patience, but the best thing I can do is pray for him - which I've done for many years now. There have been many trials through the years, but I hold fast to Proverbs 22:6 - he was raised with the knowledge of God's love, grace, and the plan of salvation - at home and in church - and will return to it. That is God's promise - so, I wait, continue to pray, and know that in His timing - it will happen!!

    Praying for your loved one, MaryLu, and praying for your peace, patience, and joy!!

    Love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Post shared!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this, MaryLu. I really needed to hear what you offered in encouragement and scripture. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much.!! Glad this helped. Bonnie, sounds like we are a lot alike. Thank you for your encouraging words and prayers!! They mean so much to me. You all mean so much to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true:) Thanks for sharing this post. Things have been crazy at my house lately and these words were just the encouragement I needed:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I have an awful habit of trying to take control and The Lord is reminding me in many ways that His ways are better than mine ❤️

    ReplyDelete