Monday, August 4, 2014

How do you treat God? Business partner or lover?

My pastor asked this question a few weeks ago and it really made an impact on me. He presented it like this:  Here are two different types of relationship

You are meeting a business partner. You show up on time, you discuss your needs, what's going on in the business, finances, etc... then when the business is concluded, you shake hands and leave. Maybe if you also have a friendship with this person, you might chit-chat for awhile afterward, but you are more interested in conducting your business and moving on.

Now let's talk about another type of relationship. A spouse, a boyfriend or girlfriend, that special someone in your life.  Whether you are married or just in the dating phase, this person is someone you are excited to see. You schedule special times to just sit and talk and share about your day. You might even make special plans for a date to do something your spouse enjoys. You know this person intimately. You enjoy the time you have together and you look for ways to please him or her.  You might buy a special gift or take him to a movie or sporting even he likes. You get the picture. You love this person. They mean the world to you and you can't wait to see them again.

But the question is: Which one of these relationships describes the type of relationship you have with God?

Do you schedule a meeting with God early in the morning and bring to him a list of requests and things He needs to address? Do you treat the God of the Universe like a business partner? Someone who can help you with your work and life and finances? 

OR

Do you crave time alone with God? Do you look for moments to spend with Him in which you can just enjoy His presence and love Him, worshiping and thanking Him? Does He fill your thoughts day and night like a lover does? Do you look for things and ways to please Him? Are you desperate for more of Him and to know Him more?  

How do you think your spouse would feel if they arranged a special evening out and when you arrived you sat down, looked at your watch and said, "What did you want to see me about?"

You may say, Well, it's different I can't see or hear God. How can I have that type of relationship? My answer would be, then you obviously don't know Him. Because He does speak to His people and He does reveal His presence. The key is you have to desperately want that, even more than you want Him to answer your prayers and fix your finances and heal your illnesses and bring home your prodigals.  You have to want God just for Who He is.

Out of all the people in the Bible I believe David understood this the most.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God. Psalm 42:1

One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord And to meditate in His temple.  Psalm 27:4

For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand outside. I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God Than dwell in the tents of wickedness. Psalm 84:10

Why do you think that despite all of David's sins (And he had some doosies) , he was still called by God: A man after my own heart  


10 comments:

  1. I love David's story also, MaryLu, and he was also a man after God's own heart. Acts 13:22 (Amplified): And when He had deposed him, He raised up David to be their king; of him He bore witness and said, I have found David son of Jesse a man after My own heart, who will do all My will AND carry out My program fully.

    David had absolute faith in God, "meditated" on His word (Psalm 119: 47-48), was thankful (Psalm 26: 6-7), and repentant (Psalm 51:1-2). Sinful though he was - David loved God, his heart was pointed toward God, and had faith in Him even as a child when he slew Goliath. God knew David's heart, his love for Him, his desire to obey and serve Him - He rewarded David's faith.

    God uses imperfect people, still today - I'm so thankful that He does - thank you for this reminder and wonderful post, MaryLu!!

    Prayers, love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! It is SO important to keep in constant communication with God throughout your day. He will be there for you, more than anyone else. God knows each individual heart....no pretending around Him....open up your life for Him to do as He wishes and you will find peace and fulfillment....things this world cannot give you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Chaplain!! God knows us better than we know ourselves, is always faithful, and has the best plan for our peace and fulfillment - the key is, as you said, "constant communication with God throughout your day"!!

      Delete
  4. That's what I love about your posts - they are so convicting and thought provoking. And today was an "OUCH" moment for me. When I read the description of a God's business partner it rang all too true of my relationship with Him. I don't want it to be that way, but I know it's up to me to change it. He's already shown me how much He loves me by giving His Son. Now I need to show my love to Him in the ways you listed. Thank you, for not holding back what God lays on your heart even though it's painful to acknowledge at times. You truly reflect the verse in Proverbs that states: "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." You want your readers to know God better and by "sharpening" us with your words you make us desire a stronger and deeper walk with Him if we heed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comments about MaryLu, Amy - and SO agree. I love and appreciate her posts for the very same reasons and enjoy sharing them so others can be inspired and hopefully, spiritually grow through them!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you all for coming by! This post was a definite "Ouch" moment for me too. Actually, my first Ouch was when my pastor preached on this. I realized how often I come to God with a list of things to accomplish. I have no special gift. I'm simply posting what I sense God wants me to post, and praying it helps someone out there as it helped me. All glory goes to God!
    Hugs and blessings to you, Bonnie, Chappy, and Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the glory should ALWAYS goes to God as He is the only perfect One and the giver of our gifts, the greatest of which is salvation - we need to constantly think on this. Thank you for reminding us, MaryLu, and for letting Him use you!! I'm so glad that God bestowed on you the gift of writing to honor Him - not everyone has the gift of putting their God-inspired thoughts into words and arranging the words so that they both honor Him and inspire others to do so also!!

      Delete
  6. This has been a topic on my heart for the past several months! It's so easy to be all business, but I'm learning to really just "hang out" with Jesus. Totally different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful blog, MaryLu--thank you. I really needed to read it. I've been learning how to become closer and more intimate in my relationship with God, but I haven't quite been able to figure out what's missing. Your description of the two types of relationships is so clear, and I see now how to get closer to Him. Thank you SOOOOO much for your blogs--they always minister to me!

    Big hug!!

    ReplyDelete