Monday, September 8, 2014

Is Chrisitanity Boring?

Last weekend I went to lunch with two close friends and while eating delicious Mexican food, we talked about God and everything He was doing in our lives. If anyone was listening, I'm sure they would have been shocked at the things they heard, things like miracles, believing in the unseen, the goodness of God. One friend recently had a relative die whom we believe God saved from hell at the last minute by her efforts. My other friend's husband survived a life-threatening surgery. He not only survived, but the doctors were amazed at the ease of the surgery and his recovery. He also got a new job after just losing his last one. I added my own story of how my prodigal son and I are getting along so well now that he's moved back home for a short while. We shared words God had put on our hearts and discovered that He had been saying the same thing to all of us.  We spoke of faith and love and our conversation was laced with joy. Even when we  shared our struggles and trials, there was a spirit of hope and faith in our words because we all knew God had our back and it would all work out in the end.

After lunch we all stood outside the restaurant and said our Goodbyes, and one of my friends said something like "I can't imagine how boring my life would be without God." We all laughed and agreed that ever since we've been walking with the Lord, our lives have been full of adventure!

As I walked to my car with a huge smile on my face, I wondered what a nonbeliever would think of our conversation. I bet they would be shocked and probably think we were nuts. Why? Because if you ask most unbelievers what they think of Christians, you'll hear things like:

Christianity is Boring,
It's just a bunch of rules you have to follow
You have to attend dull church services 
Christians are prudes
Christians never have any fun
Christians are wacko

It made me sad, because nothing is FARTHER from the truth!!  Take it from me who has been on both sides.  When I was an unbeliever I did all the "fun" things the world says will make you happy. You name it, I did it.   And I can honestly say without hesitation that my life back then was FAR MORE BORING than it has been since I became a follower of Christ!!

What could be more exciting than being adopted into God's family, then having the Spirit of God living inside you, then having Eternal life! If that isn't exciting enough, we Christians get to enter the epic story of mankind that is going on around us, the battle of good vs. evil, the desperate attempt of a loving God to save mankind from their enemy, Satan, who wants to drag them to hell.  It's like being in the middle of the Lord of the Rings or BraveHeart or The Patriot or any of your favorite movies!  How often have we left the theater after seeing one of the great adventure movies and wished our life was like that, wished we didn't have to go back to our boring existences?

Yet truly following Jesus is every bit as exciting. And even more so. You'll see things you never thought you'd see, experience things you never thought were possible. Not only that, but you will play a crucial role in the plan of God to save souls from hell. What could be more important than that?

Are you finding life dull and meaningless? Give your life to Jesus, grab your sword, mount your horse and let's go join the battle!


.

4 comments:

  1. Mon Sept 8th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Excellent word and message, excellent truths !!! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, as usual! Sharing! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely!! The closer I walk with God, the more He surprises me. My life keeps getting more exciting, interesting, suspenseful, and delightful every day--literally!! I never know WHAT to expect--except it will be something that only God could dream up! :-) The best part is feeling His intimate love surrounding me all the time. When I thought He was just "up there in the sky," I had no idea of the incredible companionship He loves to share with those who invite Him into their daily lives. He also does things that make me belly-laugh: He is just awesome!! I could rave on & on about Him ... but you've already done that, every eloquently. I have to add my joyful "Amen!" :-)

    Hugs,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree, MaryLu!! For years, I searched for happiness by doing things my way - so many wrong decisions resulting in only fleeting happiness. It was only after I surrendered to God's plan for my life that I found lasting joy.

    When we accept Christ - He changes our desires. We find happiness, excitement, and hope in ways/things we would have never thought possible previously and God moves in our lives in unfathomable ways. There could be no greater excitement than presenting the plan of salvation and witnessing someone accepting Christ or witnessing miracles, and the most excitement of all - the anticipation of an eternal heavenly home that will be beyond our greatest imagination. There is such delight in friendships/fellowships with fellow believers - they are the sweetest ever. There is a kinship, love, joy, and understanding not found with non-believers.

    MaryLu, I'm thrilled about your relationship with your son!! Continued prayers for you, your family, and your writing!!

    Love and hugs!!

    Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete