Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday Frenzy!

Happy Friday!

I hope you all had a great week! Mine was busy, as usual. Some may think an author's life is glamorous, but let me tell you, it's just as hard and mundane as anyone else's!  I still have to clean my house, scrub my toilets, do laundry and cook. I still have to deal with kid problems and grandbabies and spiders in the bathtub and an internet that keeps going out.  Like most women I step on the scale and cringe at what I see, then make pledges to cut back on the sweets!  I greet my husband at the door and listen to his day and then settle down to watch TV at night. Yes, I do watch TV. I think it's the storyteller in me but I have always loved a good TV show or movie.  Hubby and I have our favorites, though that list is getting shorter these days as the shows get raunchier.

Writing wise, I worked on edits for Tears of the Sea this week.  That is now turned back in to my editor for one more glance through and then I will start formatting it for ebook and print!  If you've signed up to read and review it, I hope to get the copies to you the last week of October.  After I send that out, I hope to take a couple days off to recharge. I want to go to the pound and rescue a cat in line to be euthanized.  Hubby and I love to take in strays and misfits. Mainly because that's what we've been most of our lives.

My Reef Tank

You may remember I started a reef tank some time ago. Well, it's coming along!  I've added a few corals, some clown fish, a shrimp, and an anemone.   Because I chose to put in live rock taken directly from the sea, new creatures tend to appear all the time.. and more will appear as time goes on. I've noticed a few baby clams and this weird slug-like creature. (pictured below) 

The Entire tank

Clown fish bonding with Anenome

Hammerhead Coral

Living soft pink coral
Sea Slug that just appeared!























































I want to share with you pictures that my friend and publicist is finding to help advertise my book, Tears of the Sea. She's so good at this... 




I'm excited to see what she finds next!

Now for this week's writing tip

FRIDAY WRITING TIP!

As much as you can, try to put action before reaction.  For example

She screamed as the monster charged toward her. 
Her heart thudded against her chest when the man fired the pistol

What you want to say is
The monster charged toward her. She screamed!
The villain fired his pistol. Her heart thudded in her chest.

Seems simple enough but not as easy to do. The reason? At least for me is the way a sentence reads.. it's rhythm and cadence. Sometimes it just doesn't sound right to write it the correct way!  Anyway, for the most part, it's important to write events in the sequence in which they happen.


.
Praying you have a wonderful weekend!



.

14 comments:

  1. Friday 17th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Always neat to hear your news and what's been going on.
    Really looking forward to "Tears of the Sea" coming out eventually in paperback form ... I'm wanting to read it for sure. Wonderful pictures your friend and publicist shared. They really capture the essence of the book.
    Your reef tank is coming along wonderfully !!! Enjoying watching the progress .... very interesting.
    The cat you are going to rescue is one blessed cat ! How did you hear about it ? Do you phone the Pound periodically to check things out, or are you on a special list -- where they call you (if they know of one that is about to be put down) ?
    Well ... when it comes to your few days off and recharging .... I hope you have some wonderful R & R time !!! You surely deserve it !
    Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! Unfortunately, there are always cats on death row around here... all I have to do is walk into the pound and ask to see them... I wish I could take them all! I'll let you know what I get. :-)

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Brenda and Mrs. Tyndall! I am so looking forward to "Tears of the Sea"!! I meant to comment last Friday and ask if i could join the crew and help review/promote your book, since I don't have Facebook and couldn't volunteer through there. Great job with the aquarium project-it's so cool!! Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Callie, I'd be happy to put you on my list of influencers for Tears of the Sea. You'll get a pre-release ecopy of the book and be required to read and write a review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads.. and any other place you can.. within 2 months. If that sounds okay, send me a note to marylu_tyndall@yahoo.com

      Delete
  3. Your reef is really pretty. I love the writing tip, it makes a lot of sense

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Fabulous Friday to you, MaryLu!!

    I'm always so happy to hear what's going on in your corner of the world in sunny California!! The reef tank is beautiful - I enjoy watching it develop, so thank you for the pics. Can't wait to read "Tears of the Sea" and Chappy's pics are beautiful and touching - wondering where she finds all those appropriate pics and if she wrote the poem on the pic she posted today on the fan club site??

    Enjoy your recharging time- when it comes - and your new kitty. I love the analogy of you and your husband rescuing the cat, just as God rescued the two of you!! Like you, I was a stray and misfit for many years also - aren't we blessed that He rescued us and that we are beautiful in His sight??

    Love you, my "sister" MaryLu - prayers and hugs!! Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Shared post!!

      Delete
    2. Hey Bonnie....thanks and no I did not write the poem. That is from a song in the book...that Perdita sings to Savion. Thanks for being so diligent in sharing about MaryLu and her books.

      Delete
  5. Good morning, my friend! Another great Friday Frenzy! I absolutely LOVE your reef tank! I bet you can stare at it for hours...
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Afternoon MaryLu!
    I love the pictures of your reef tank and watching it "grow". Where do you have it? It would be so relaxing to watch all the activity going on in it.
    Can't wait to read and review Tears of the Sea. Beautiful pictures.
    Blessings,Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for dropping by!!! Have a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always good to hear your happenings of the week! Love that tank!
    I have Tears of the Sea on preorder and can't wait to read it!
    Happy weekend to all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tank looks awesome, and it's so cool that creatures just show up :) Also, thanks for the writing tip! Have not heard that one before. You should definitely take a few weeks off. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete