Monday, January 12, 2015

The trouble with Worry

I'm a chronic worrier, from a long line of notorious worriers. Several family members are currently or have been on anti-anxiety medications  and/or have consumed copious amounts of alcohol to help keep themselves calm. Are some people more prone to anxiety and worry? Absolutely. Over the years I've come to believe that it relates to the amount of passion, emotion and creativity someone has. Which explains why so many great artists have serious emotional problems. Why that is, I don't know. Why would God create someone more prone to worry than someone else, I have no idea. But then again we all have our weaknesses, right? I don't have an addictive personality so I have no trouble in that area, whereas I know many people who do.  I also know many people who are relatively calm most of the time, who don't worry overmuch, and who just don't get us worriers. My husband is one of them.

I can't count the number of times, he's said to me, "Stop worrying". Oh sure. Let me get right on that.  I wish to God I had a worry switch on me somewhere that I could just flip and stop worrying about something, but alas, I came with no such extra equipment.

For those of you, like me, who are worriers, you know how debilitating it can be, how horribly it can affect your life. I even went to the doctor once for an EKG because my chest was so tight from worry.  Of course, it doesn't help me very much when other Christians tell me that worrying is a sin. Yes, I know it's a sin. Thank you. That's very helpful. Now, I'm not only worried, I'm riddled with guilt.

Recently, I've discovered something, a very simple something, that has truly helped me with my worry. Now, bear with me because it's going to sound so simplistic and obvious that you'll be tempted to click away. It is the following three facts:

God is good.Yes, you say, of course, I know that. What does that have to do with worry?  But do you really know how good He is? He's not good like we think of good.  He isn't just a "nice guy".  God's loving-kindness extends to the heavens, His faithfulness reaches to the skies, His mercies are new each morning. He is slow to anger and does not give us what we deserve. He is patient and  full of compassion. He cannot lie. He will not turn away any who come to Him. He will never leave you. He is preparing a home for you in heaven. He delights over you and sings over you. He adopted you into His family, even after your sin murdered His Son. His thoughts of you are like the sand on the seashore. He joys in blessing you. His love never dies or diminishes, no matter what you do. God is for you and not against you.  (Try to let that all sink in. Read it over and over until it does)

The second thing that really helped me with worry is that

God is all-powerful.  There is nothing He cannot do. There is no one that He cannot save. He is the Creator of all things and through His Son, all things are held together. He can create a universe with just one thought.  Surely He can handle your problems

And lastly, and more importantly,

God loves you.  If you're a parent, you have a small inkling of the love of God, but even our love for our children pales in comparison with God's love for us. He adores us, He cherishes us, He sacrificed all so we could be with Him.

So, what if I told you that there's this person who is really good, has all power to do whatever he wants AND he loves you, would you worry about whatever it is you're worried about? Wouldn't you run to this person and tell him what you need, what your concerns are?  And when he said "I'll take care of it" wouldn't you relax and rest in that??  Why then do we mistrust God so much? He has promised to answer our prayers. He has promised to provide for our needs. He has promised to save us.

But, some people say, I prayed and prayed and my sister still has cancer, my husband left me,  and I lost my job. Where was God if He is so good and He loves me? And my answer is, God is good, all powerful, and He loves you. God doesn't change nor does His love for you change. He cannot do you harm, so whatever is happening to you, is for the good. It may not seem like it, you may not understand it, but God wants you to trust Him. Your trust in Him, in His character and goodness mean the world to Him. He values it above all else. Just search the Scripture for what happened to those who believed in His goodness and those who doubted it and complained.

I'm not trying to downplay the struggles any of you are going through. I know some of you face some real hard challenges. All I'm saying is, if you can truly get these three ideas firmly rooted in your spirit and start really believing that whatever happens, it will come about out of God's love for you, then you'll start worrying less and have more peace, and as you submit to God's will, you may even find a little joy along the way.  It has really worked for me.!

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,  casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5: 6-7



.

6 comments:

  1. Mon Jan 12th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Thank-you for today's post !!! Which obviously I needed ! Yes, I am a worrier too. And, I worry about situations, things, circumstances, etc .... even though I know I am NOT the one in control. But, I do know the One Who is in control !!! What a wonderful, loving Heavenly Father we have !!!!!!!!!!!!! And, to know He truly cares !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good! Thanks for the great post.....hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, MaryLu! Thank you for this wonderful reminder, as I , too, am a worrier. Need to be a prayer warrior not worrier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your wonderful post, MaryLu!!

    Such a familiar subject for me, I come from a long line of worriers, also, and a lifetime of dealing with the effects of family member's struggles with worry. It is my thinking that insecurities - often life long - and learned behavior have much to do with many people's worry issues. Even for those knowing God's love, it is often so difficult to change ingrained thought/feeling patterns, even when we know they are wrong.

    It is not my place to judge others who worry - everyone's situation is different, constant chronic pain and other trials make it even harder for some to maintain a worry-free disposition. As you illustrated - worry can cause physical problems, which in turn - cause more worries, becoming a vicious circle.

    After having cancer surgery, for the 2nd time, this past May, currently having a father, mother and aunt with serious illnesses, along with other family issues - I would be lying if I said I never worried. However, my personal situation is that my worrying has decreased so dramatically since acknowledging, a number of years ago, that God is in control of, and has a plan for my life, has His own timing and works everything to my good. Staying as close to God, and keeping my thinking in a spiritual mindset - as often as possible - has also helped tremendously. Prayer, listening to Christian music, regular contact (both online and in person) with godly friends and bible study are all huge helps to me also. I have found it possible to have peace and joy in some of the most difficult trials of my life.

    I'm thrilled that you have discovered 3 facts that are giving you peace and joy in your struggles with worry, MaryLu, and am praying for God's complete healing in that area. Love and hugs to you, my sweet friend!!

    Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, and so timely. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic....and so helpful to me! Also, love Bonnie's comments!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete