Monday, July 6, 2015

Where's the Blessing?

Some of you may remember the children's book series, Where's Waldo?  They were around when my kids were young. Each page had a very complicated and busy scene with all sorts of people and things and scenery, and your job was to find Waldo, this one very odd looking person. My kids and I had fun searching each page for Waldo. Sometimes it would take quite a while to find him!

Yet, life is very much like each of the pages in these Waldo books, a mish-mash of people, events, scenes, tasks, tragedies, and struggles. Yet within each page of our lives, even within each day, God has hidden a blessing. My husband and I just returned from a week in Kauai where blessings abound. It wasn't hard to find the blessings when we got up every morning and drank our coffee on our balcony overlooking the ocean!  Truly, everywhere we looked, everywhere we went, blessings were obvious. But my life hasn't always been like that. Many many pages of my life were so convoluted with trials and heartaches and work and sweat and tears that the blessing, if any, would have been hard to find.  But as I've looked back over my life and as I've proceeded forward, I've learned a very important lesson. There is always a blessing. It may be hidden in the chaos of your day, but it is there, and God will show it to those who go searching for it with a grateful heart.

Easy for you to say, you might comment. You're living your dream of being an author. Not only that, you just got back from Hawaii!  Not hard to see blessings there. Would you believe there was a time when I had no food but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to feed my young children? When my electricity got turned off because we couldn't pay the bill? Divorce, heartache, physical pain, loneliness, sickness, terror, abandonment, are all things which I have known intimately.

I believe God honors thankfulness. When His children can honestly thank Him in the midst of trouble, it puts a huge smile on His face. Think about it. As a parent, what does that do to you when your children are grateful for even the small things?  It warms your heart and makes you want to give them more! All throughout the Scripture, we read about God's reaction to complaining and negativity (Think Israelites in the desert)  and how pleased He is with a grateful heart of worship. 

I hear an awful lot of complaining among God's people and not a lot of praise. I'm guilty of it as well.  But I have noticed that in those stages of my life when I've been more thankful, when I'm thanking God for every little blessing I find, I'm not only happier, but my day seems to go better as well. 
So, let's search through the muck and mire for that blessing our Father has given us, and before we open our mouths to whine, or even to pray for help, let's thank Him for His faithfulness and love.


.

9 comments:

  1. Monday 6th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    And 'welcome' back home (to reality, huh). Just kidding. SO glad you and husband enjoyed Hawaii .... I know I'd go back in a heartbeat, it it were at all possible !!! The scenery, the ocean/waves, the friendly atmosphere ... yes, it's an island paradise for sure !!!
    Thank-you for today's message .... another timely word in due season !
    Saying and being "thankful" to the Lord is something I am conscientiously trying to do. Even when things aren't going my way. There are still and always, things to be thankful for.
    So -- 'thanks' for the 'thankful' message. Great post !
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! This is a great post. Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful post. I will try to praise God like you said even when we have troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post, MaryLu - thank you!!

    I've been through many of the same things as you - even had my son's bedroom suite repossessed when I was involved in a car accident and unable to work. Knowing my son no longer had a bed to sleep in - probably made me feel even worse than him. That was in the '70's - before I learned to trust God's leading. I probably failed to see many of my blessings during situations such as this. PTL - I can look back now and see those blessings, and am so keenly aware of blessings during current struggles. Outside of my salvation, family, and friends - some of my greatest blessings are truly some of the smaller things in life, for which I'm continually grateful!!

    So glad you arrived home safely after that wonderfully beautiful vacation!! Thanks for those beautiful pictures and videos of Hawaii!!

    Love, prayers, and hugs - MaryLu!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for another beautiful and powerful post. I like the Waldo visual--I'm going to apply the lesson of searching out blessings every day, even in the midst of muck & frustration & trials. I deeply appreciate your life-changing insights, MaryLu! Your faithfulness is reaping a harvest of good fruit!!

    Hugs & much love,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do not know how much this just made my day. I must keep remembering about all of my blessings from God those seen and unseen. Thank you for posting this. I thank God every day for my life and my family and I pray for tons of blessings to pour on us every minute of the day. Please keep writing these inspirational words. God Bless You!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! I'm so glad these posts are touching people. I never really know if they do or not.. I just trust God with whatever He gives me. :-)

      Delete
  7. Amen, MaryLu! I could have written this post myself (except for the Hawaii part lol). Thank you for the wonderful reminder to seek out God's blessings daily!

    ReplyDelete