Monday, August 31, 2015

The courts of our God!

My all time favorite psalm is Psalm 84.  It paints such a gorgeous picture of a loving all-powerful King who adores His children and who helps them along their journey only to welcome them into His home and adopt them into His family. 

The psalmist starts off by talking about how he yearns, even pines, and is homesick for the courts of the Lord.

How lovely are Your tabernacles, O Lord of hosts!
 My soul yearns, yes, even pines and is homesick for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out and sing for joy to the living God.

It made me wonder how many of us actually are homesick for heaven.  I meet so many believers who are so caught up in this life, they rarely give it much thought.  For me, heaven is becoming all the more real with each year that passes. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Maybe it's because I've lived long enough to know that NOTHING in this world satisfies, that only the love of God makes me feel alive and gives me purpose. Honestly, I'm just excited to see my Father. I never had an earthly father, so I plan on crawling up in God's lap and getting a big hug!  

Yet heaven is much more than that. It is a magnificent city with tons of gorgeous houses and parks and lakes and gardens. And in the center is a court, a throne room where God rules. It is pageantry and majesty and ceremony!  Just think of all the great movies and fairytales you've seen with Kings and princes and princesses and all the pomp and glitter of the court. Heaven's court will be beyond anything we can even imagine! 


 The Psalmist continues talking about how though we have trouble on our way to Heaven, God will bless our trouble and turn it into blessing

Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, in whose heart are the highways to Zion.
 Passing through the Valley of Weeping , they make it a place of springs; the early rain also fills the pools with blessings.
 They go from strength to strength, increasing in victorious power, each of them appears before God in Zion.


 And then he states one of my favorite verses in the Bible.

For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else; I would rather be a doorkeeper and stand at the threshold in the house of my God than to dwell at ease  in the tents of wickedness.

For the Lord God is a Sun and Shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and future glory honor, splendor, and heavenly bliss! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly


So, don't dismay. As the Apostle Paul said in Romans 8
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Be comforted with these thoughts!

 

6 comments:

  1. Mon 31st,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Yes, I too am SO looking forward to Heaven, being in His courts, sitting on His lap, praising Him, loving Him, rejoicing with Him ! For the "momentary", and fleeting minutes of happiness on Earth ... you are right -- nothing here satisfies.
    One day .... and one day soon .... to be surrounded by His glory !!! Amen, and, Amen !
    Thanks so much for sharing ... another timely word in due season !
    Take care, and, God Bless, Love, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to be with the Lord....this world has nothing for me. Yes, I love my kids/grandkids, my family and friends, but nothing and no one compares to God. He needs to come NOW and take away all of the bad and set up this Kingdom for us all to enjoy. And even though it breaks my heart knowing that there are loved ones who have yet to give their hearts and souls to Him, I can't help but long to be in His presence now. Great pics, by the way. Have a blessed week, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love this post and the pictures.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful pictures, MaryLu - thank you for the wonderful post!!

    Debbie couldn't have expressed my feelings more adequately - tears in my eyes as I yearn to see my Lord, the wonders of heaven are so beyond my comprehension !!

    Love, prayers, and hugs - MaryLu!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post, MaryLu. My aunt and two cousins are experiencing this at this very moment and I can only imagine all that they are seeing. What a wonderful hope we have in Jesus, knowing that one day we will be with the ones we love. But most of all, knowing that we'll be able to run into the arms of Jesus and be able to hug Him and tell Him how much we love Him! Thank you, again! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angi, your aunt and cousins are far better off than we are at the moment! How wonderful to picture them in such a glorious place. It's those of us left behind that are sad. But we shall soon all be together! Praying for the comfort only God can give your family.... hugs and love!

      Delete