Monday, November 9, 2015

What do you look like to God?

I grew up a very insecure, shy girl who had trouble making friends and who was always cast aside as a weirdo, nerd, unpopular kid. Consequently as I grew to adulthood, those "beliefs" about myself followed me. It's funny how differently you act when you think you're weird or worthless. It's like a dark shadow hovering over you that taints the way you act, talk, think, what people you talk to, where you go, and even what you do in life.  It wasn't until I gave my life to God that I finally began to realize that maybe I wasn't so worthless after all. Still, I admit it's been a huge struggle for me to undo all the lies the enemy told me all my life. And that's just what they were. LIES.

The Bible is God's love letter to His children and like any love letter it is full of compliments, endearments, encouragements, and just plain love and adoration.  And because the words aren't just words on a page, but they emanate from the Creator Himself, they contain the power to change hearts and minds. Indeed, they contain the power to make a person who believes she is worthless eventually believe she is a princess.  The key is to take those Words of love, those endearments, those compliments, and say them out loud over and over and over until the truth and power sink deep into your being.

Recently I've discovered how differently God sees us than how we see ourselves.  I may see myself as a middle-aged, introverted, socially-awkward  housewife who writes books, but God sees me as His special masterpiece, His creation, His princess-warrior!

Gideon was much like me. He was a man living in a country overrun by the enemy (Sounds a lot like the US right now!)  He was a common man, poor, from a poor family, in the middle of a poor tribe., who was just trying to get by.   He wasn't anything special. He probably wasn't good-looking or talented or particularly humorous.  Yet one day while he was working, Jesus Himself appeared to Gideon and said,
The Lord is with you, you mighty man of valor!”  Judges 6:12

Huh? Me?  I can imagine Gideon looking over his shoulder, wondering who the Lord was speaking to. 
I love Gideon's response. The first thing he does is ask where God has been. Why have their enemies overtaken them? What happened to all the miracles God did in the past? 

Have you ever asked those questions? I have. Ignoring the questions, the Lord merely responds.. Hey Gideon, I want you to go defeat the Midianites for me.  That would be like Jesus appearing to you and I and telling us to go take care of this ISIS problem.  Yea, right. Gideon must remind God that he is a nobody from a nobody family in a nobody clan. Are you sure you got the right guy?

The thing is, of course God had the right guy! He created Gideon. He gave him all the traits and quirks and skills and everything else Gideon would  need to do whatever God called him to do. He knew when He created Gideon that He would call him to this particular task. Well, Gideon goes on to test God several times to make sure he heard Him correctly. And finally, if you remember the story, Gideon goes out with only 300 men against tens of thousands of warriors and he never lifts a sword and God destroys the army of Midian.

What does God see when He looks down at you?  You may think He sees no one noteworthy, just a housewife or student or worker at Walmart. A nobody by today's standards. But nothing could be further from the truth. If you belong to Jesus, you have the Spirit of the Living God inside of you and when God looks down on you,

He sees royalty
He sees a bright and shining star
He sees the bride He has chosen for His only Son
He sees someone worthy to purchase with the blood of His only Son
He sees a priest
He sees a warrior
He sees a mighty woman/man of valor!
He sees a beloved child

Don't ever forget who you are in Christ!  Say Scripture that proclaims this every day out loud and refuse to listen to the lies of the enemy any more. Then when God comes calling for you to do something BIG for Him, you'll be ready.


.


11 comments:

  1. This will probably post twice, since I am on my phone....great post and definitely sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Captain MaryLu, this spoke to my heart! When I was growing up I felt pretty much the same as you did about myself. I was convinced I was the dumbest student in the whole school, was very shy and only had 1 or 2 close friends. Others called me a "prude" (even family members) because I would not do the things they did.....usually wild, crazy things.

    However, God opened my eyes and my heart and enfolded me with His arms and love!!! HE loves me!! Wow!!
    I love how you put it:
    "God sees me as His special masterpiece, His creation, His princess-warrior! If you belong to Jesus, you have the Spirit of the Living God inside of you and when God looks down on you,
    He sees royalty
    He sees a bright and shining star
    He sees the bride He has chosen for His only Son
    He sees someone worthy to purchase with the blood of His only Son
    He sees a priest
    He sees a warrior
    He sees a mighty woman/man of valor!
    He sees a beloved child"

    Blessings,Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'm thinking we are not the only ones out there who grew up feeling worthless... so my prayer is some may wonder by this post someday and find out how valuable they are!! Thanks for coming by!! Blessings to a fellow princess and heiress. :-)

      Delete
  4. Monday 9th,
    "Afternoon, MaryLu."
    I'm kind of late - signing on here.
    Wonderful post today ... really spoke to me. I am one of those people who speaks negatively to herself, and even dares to tell God how worthless I am, and as well ... such a failure in life.
    Oh how I needed to hear what you shared ... and to "learn" to see myself .... AS God sees me !!! I've listened to the "lies of the enemy" for far too long !!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank-you for these great reminders ... another 'timely word in due season', for sure !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Brenda, you and I have discussed how we are alike this way. I knew if you read this, it may help you as it did me. Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post, MaryLu - thank you for reminding us of our worth and heritage, as God sees us!!

    I so relate to your feelings of insecurity & worthlessness - as a child/young woman, just as Brenda & Tina have. Those feelings caused me to make some disastrous life-changing decisions, as I wasn't following God then. It took many years for me to realize the only way to true life-long happiness was through Him, yielding to His plans for my life - and accepting His word re: my value. My prayer is that He use my testimony/experiences to reach others with these lessons.

    Love, prayers, & hugs - MaryLu!!

    P.S. You're not only special in the eyes of Him, you're pretty special to us, too!!

    Shared post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I'm always amazed to discover how many other women grew up feeling worthless.... I always thought I was the only one. I, too, made some disastrous decisions because of it... and like you, it took me years to come to my senses. The Lord is already using your testimony to bless and help others... I know, because you have really blessed me! HUGs, dear friend... dear, special friend.

      Delete
  6. What a great find you are! Love your list of some of the things we are in Christ! Princess-Warrier resonates because conversations about God never seem to be easy or natural when speaking with non-believers about Him. However, when there is sickness in their families, or themselves, and I say I will pray for them, they do accept it. It took me a ton of courage to even say it. It is such a privilege to battle in prayer for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is our greatest weapon, Donna! I've discovered that many non-believers, even some atheists, welcome prayer when tragedy strikes. I've never had anyone tell me not to pray for them. :-) There is much hostility toward Christians these days... let the Holy Spirit guide you in what to say and when. Jesus warned us never to cast our pearls before swine, lest they trample them.... forget the Scripture reference.. but I believe He was talking about sharing the Truth with people who wouldn't receive it. God Bless!

      Delete