Friday, December 4, 2015

The Seeker Friendly Church. Good thing or bad thing?

Happy Friday everyone!
We got some more rain here in California this week, and there's more forecast for next week. Our rain here is a cold rain, never hard, and usually no more than a sprinkle or mist. So different from tropical rain that is usually warm and pummels you like grapeshot (Hey, that's a great line for a book! )  Anyway, I thank God for it, though I'm not much for icy weather.

Writing news

I'm working on the last chapter of Charity's Cross!  I will turn it into my editor next week and hopefully get it all polished up by the end of January. Yes, it takes awhile. When I was published with Barbour, it took months to edit and fix and then edit and fix over and over again. Soon, I"ll be sending out requests for influencers who agree to read an early copy and review it. If you're interested, comment below. I'll probably limit it to around 50.

Sale

Just a reminder that my box set of Charles Towne Belles (Three full length novels) is on sale for only 99 cents!
Also only 99 cents is The Ransom and Falcon and the Sparrow! For the entire month of December!

Is the Seeker-Friendly church a good or bad thing?

Recently my husband read an article in the Economist ( I know.. boring!)  about the differences in religion in the NorthEast vs. the Deep South in the U.S.  As most Americans know, the NorthEast is fairly liberal and non-religious for the most part. I'm not saying everyone is, but in general it is a very agnostic culture. The south on the other hand (also called the Bible belt) is more conservative and also more religious. More people attend church, more people claim to be Christians and believe in God in the South. But why?

What was interesting is that the writer of the article did a ton of research and came up with the following theory.  Remember the Puritans landed in the North. Also the north started out being very religious because of these puritans. Church attendance was mandatory, their code of ethics much stricter. They didn't even celebrate Christmas because of its pagan influence. So what happened? Here's this man's theory.

The north had a much higher influx of immigrants because there were more jobs and opportunities whereas the south consisted of mostly farms and plantations, so unless you were a farmer who could purchase land, there weren't many opportunities to make a living. HENCE, the church in the north, wanting to convert all these immigrants to Christianity began to soften their approach. They watered down the Gospel message, took off moral restrictions, in an effort to bring in more people.

In the South, because there were few immigrants, the church concentrated on disciplining the people who were already Christian. In other words, all their programs and efforts went toward making mature disciples, people who had strong faith, understood the Scriptures, and had a close walk with God.

Now 200 years later we see the results of this: The subsequent generations of northerners drifted farther and farther from God while the ancestors of those in the South retained their strong faith. Now, I realize I'm talking in huge generalities here, but this sort made sense to me. We have many seeker-friendly churches in America whose main goal is to get "converts" and fill pews. They do this by things like:

  • Free donuts every Sunday
  • Never talk about difficult topics from the pulpit like judgement, hell, demons, or satan
  • Create seeker attractive programs like basketball, knitting, or cooking clubs
  • Put on a very entertaining service, complete with a live band, singers, and even videos
 (Disclaimer: If your church does these things, I'm not saying it's purely seeker-friendly or that it's a bad church. These are just a few of the characteristics I've seen.)

Does this work? Absolutely. People come in. They love the social activities, free food, entertainment and comforting sermon. They may even say a prayer to receive Jesus. Hey, it might even be genuine and they get truly saved.  Praise God for that! But I wonder how many of these people eventually drift away, and especially how many of their kids and grandkids walk away themselves? Now, some churches do offer more in-depth Bible classes, but I've also noticed not many people attend these.

People are looking for something real. Wouldn't it be better to raise up strong disciples and let them loose on their neighbors, coworkers, and friends... living like little Jesus's among the lost?

What are your thoughts?


.



30 comments:

  1. I just finished the Charles Towne Belles series (once I actually stopped staring at the front covers and opened them) for the second time. It was great getting reacquainted with the young ladies and only amped up my anticipation for Charity's Cross.

    In regards to the church issue, I live in Tennessee and have a wonderful pastor and church family. As a matter of fact, just this past Wednesday evening at Bible study, our pastor was teaching about his and other pastor's roles in the church (1 Tim. 3:1-7). One point was to 'care for the flock' and he mentioned that caring not only including loving and nurturing, but also caring enough to broach topics that were not always comfortable or popular to talk about. I can assure you, our pastor loves us enough to preach about the difficult issues without apology, and our church is thriving right now. He's in his early 30's and is humble enough to confess he has so much to learn and feels his Bible knowledge can always improve, but there's no doubt that he loves God and our church and teaches the truth no matter how difficult. Yes, we do have other activities every now and then to draw people in, but when they come the TRUTH is not sugar-coated or watered down at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, It's good to know there are still some good churches left in this country! You do live in the Bible belt.. so that makes sense. I don't think it matters how young a pastor is, but more that He loves the Lord with all his heart and is humble like you said.. willing to learn. My Mom lives in Tenn. Near Gatlinburg. :-)

      Delete
  2. Friday 4th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Glad to hear you are finally getting rain .... long overdue. Our temps are down around the freezing line (give or take a few degrees).
    Great news -- re ... working on the last chapter of "Charity's Cross". Another amazing novel to look forward to !!!
    About your post on -- 'the seeker-friendly Church ... good or bad' .... I totally agree with what you shared.
    Absolutely, it would be better to "raise up strong Christians" !
    I don't ever want to be in, or a part of a Church .... that is basically a "people-pleasing Church" -- just saying what the people "want to hear". Strong, committed, Bible-preaching-and-teaching-and believing .... a Church that is passionate about God/Jesus/HolySpirit and His Word ... a definite MUST !!! We need to hear the truth, no watering-down. Telling us what we "need to hear".
    It's not easy to be a Christian ... often things going wrong, trials and tribulations, etc ... and we need to be strong in Him, in our faith and beliefs. I would never tell a new Christian that once they become a Christian, life will be perfect and a piece-of-cake. They had best know, from the beginning, that it is a daily work and effort.
    I once saw a little sign that read: "Christianity isn't for whimps" ! How true is that !!!
    Thanks for sharing, MaryLu.
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I couldn't agree with you more! Churches need to build up strong believers or else when troubles and trials and even persecution rises, they will fall. But I never hear a sermon on preparing for the coming tribulations.

      Delete
  3. Good morning MaryLu,
    As I am from the Northeast, and as I have lived in the South and the West Coast . I have attended many churches. I have worshipped in churches that are lukewarm, and churches that are on fire, and some that are just plain boring. My son-in -law is the Associate Pastor in the church I attend now. He is alive and right on (not because he married my daughter) but because he has a great walk with Christ. The problem is he doesn't preach as much as he could and my problem is I can fall asleep hearing the Senior preach. I love a great Bible preaching, hands raising and praising Our Lord and Savior and that is challenging everyone sitting in the pews. There are good outreach,Bible studies,and groups but I have seen people come and soon they slip through the cracks. It is sad, yet I know this happens all over. My church does point the way to Christ, but there is something that is preventing the youth and young adults to be pounding the door down to worship like it did a few years ago. I worry for the youth because we are (not just my church) losing them and if they do not know Jesus - who will they worship?
    What do I do about it-- I am not afraid to put myself out there and I have this tool I use it is called "Salt" which stands for
    S--SAY hi And just talk
    A-- ask questions about them ( not too personal)
    L-- listen to what they say
    T--talk about Jesus with them
    I do Bible Studies on my own. Just finishing up the whole book Of Revelations . One would laugh if they saw me with my IPad,notebook,2 Bibles,Comentary and a handful of colored pencils to mark and underline.
    That's my way of getting deeply in the Word of our Lord.
    Sorry if this is long.
    I would dearly love to read and review for you. I have been a reviewer for Barbour when Ronie Kendig was with them .
    In His Name
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your church is definitely on the right track.... the problem with the youth may be just the culture we live in.. so anti-God and anti-Christian... but I do think Young people are tired of traditional church. Many are meeting in coffee shops.. etc.
      I also do my own studies!! I'm impressed that you did Revelation! It's def. one of the harder books. Did you learn anything insightful? I will put you down as a reviewer Elsie. Do I have your email?

      Delete
    2. Did I learn anything from Revelations? The 1st thing I learned was this was a deep and yet beautiful book. My notebook is chock-a-block full of my notes and yes --and I also know there is so much more to learn from Revelations.
      I thank you for the chance to review for you. My email is : psm2714@aol.com. One of my favorite verses.
      Blessings in His Name
      Elsie

      Delete
  4. I would be happy to read and review. Do you also want the reader to keep track of errors, such as misuse and misspelled words or omission of a word. Then send it on to you. I still find errors in the top publishers, tho" not as many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be happy to read and review. Do you also want the reader to keep track of errors, such as misuse and misspelled words or omission of a word. Then send it on to you. I still find errors in the top publishers, tho" not as many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'd love you to check for any errors.... send me your email address and I'll put you on the list.

      Delete
  6. I am so excited for Charity's Cross and would love to read and review it for you!
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Callie! Send me your email address, please :-)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi miss tyndall!! I am so excited about Charity's story and would love to review it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi miss tyndall!! I am so excited about Charity's story and would love to review it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina!!! Please send your email address to marylu_tynall@yahoo.com

      Delete
  10. I would love to read your book and review it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thank you so much, Candy. Please send me your name and email address to marylu_tyndall@yahoo.com

      Delete
  11. Hi MaryLu! So exciting to hear that your getting closer to finishing Charity's story. I loved the Charles Towne Belles series and am glad you're adding to it. :)
    Very interesting article about the church. We have a new pastor and he's SO on fire. He's made the statement several times that he intends on preaching what God is telling him to say, even if it means stepping on a few toes. Our churches need more pastors AND congregants who aren't afraid of doing just that.
    I would love to read and review Charity's story for you. Have a great weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angi, you are already on my list!! So cool about your pastor!! Wish there were more of him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to review your book Charity's Cross it sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! Please send me your email to marylu_tyndall@yahoo.com

      Delete
  14. Thankyou so much for sharing your thoughts on church, God really used it to confirm what He has been speaking to my spirit. What I wouldn't give for some real right now... It is a lonely walk doing "real" Christianity on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... love your phrase "It's a lonely walk doing real Christianity on your own" That's so true.. .Jasmine. Thank you

      Delete
  15. Amen, MaryLu - you are always "right on target" with your spiritual posts.

    At times, I feel my pastor isn't as bold as he should be. One of my family members commented to me his disagreement with our pastor's decision not to attend an assemblage of people at our state capitol - standing up for biblical marriage. I agree with you in your assessment the problem with many of the youth is the culture in which we live. My 14 year-old granddaughter witnesses to her peers, I pray she continues to have the spiritual strength and relationship with God that compels her to do this - no matter her age.

    Please put my name on the list to read/review "Charity's Cross" - excited to read it!!

    Love, prayers, & hugs - MaryLu!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie... I do believe many pastors will not stand up for what is Biblical for fear of losing church members or their tax-exempt status. It's really a shame. Bless your granddaughter! What a wonderful witness at her age..
      Okay... I have you on my list for review. Thanks!

      Delete
  16. What an interesting theory on how America is so split when it comes to believing in God.

    Alas I have not read the Charles Towne Belles series, YET. :)
    I just received The Reckoning in the mail today, and I have the Escape to Paradise series on its way to my door step next. (I did just buy the ebook or Charles Towne Belles, but I have never been good at "e-reading")
    I was so surprised upon reading the back cover of The Reckoning as i have only read them when I received them... It is completely not what i expected after just finishing The Ransom, but I have no doubt that I will be as enthralled with this story as with the rest I have been. When can we expect tbe 6th book in Legacy of the Kings Pirates as I will surely be in line to read that one as soon as it comes available in whatever form :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jozie, thank you so much for purchasing my books! I hope you enjoy all the ones you haven't read yet. Yes, The Reckoning is a bit different than my others...only in the time travel aspect. However most of the story takes place in the past so I'm sure you'll find it quite similar to my other pirate stories. :-) Th 6th Pirate book? I'll never tell. LOL Blessings!

      Delete
  17. Hi, MaryLu! I, too, would love to be on the team to review "Charity's Cross." You always have such great insights in your books and blog.

    This world today is so offense happy that I wonder if pastors are becoming more afraid of preaching the hard stuff. I have admired Pastor Kyle Idleman who decided to preach the hard stuff even if he lost some members. He took the example of Jesus, who preached and had people walk away, seriously. Jesus didn't set out to win fans, he desired true followers. I believe we, as a society, have become more fan than follower. Jesus never said that following him would be easy. This belief that Christianity is "easy" is what most fans, sadly, subscribe to, and when life gets too hard, they, most times, turn from Jesus in bitterness.

    Thank you for your post. I don't always get a chance to read then right away, but I am always blessed when I do.

    Blessings!
    Shoni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shoni, sorry for the late reply! It's such a busy time of year. I think you are absolutely right about many pastors fearing losing people if they preach the hard messages of the Bible. It's a shame... really.. As you said, Jesus never promised us an easy life. Send me your email address when you get a chance and I'll add you to my influencer list. marylu_tyndall@yahoo.com

      Delete