Monday, January 18, 2016

Who likes to wait?

Nobody!  Especially not people in our fast-paced culture. I must admit to not having a lot of patience for certain things. One of my pet peeves is waiting to be seated at a restaurant. Here in the Bay Area, there are just too many people, and for some unknown reason, they all want to go out to dinner the same time I do! Most restaurants don't take reservations here, so you're at the mercy of the crowds.  On the other hand, my husband hates standing in line at stores, which I handle much better.

All that to say that nobody really likes to wait. Waiting is hard. It requires patience and a calm spirit. Yet if you've been a Christian long enough like I have, you have realized that in God's economy, waiting is commonplace.  It's not a matter of if you will have to wait, it's a matter of when and how long. God rarely answers any of my prayers right away. Occasionally, yes, and those moments are great, but 9 times out of 10, I have to wait for an answer. Years, some times. Even now, I'm waiting for certain answers that haven't come for 20 years.  In fact, isn't the culmination of the Gospel all about waiting for Jesus to return? 

But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.  Isaiah 40:31

The word WAIT in the above verse have some very interesting meanings.  It not only means "to abide and adhere to over time" but it also means "to carve or etch an image into" 

That certainly enhances the meaning, doesn't it?  It also reminds me of the verse in Romand 8:29

For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son

God's purpose in our lives is to transform us to be like Jesus.  That message is throughout the New Testament. Paul exhorts us to take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ. He also tells us to be transformed by the renewing of our minds

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory,  2 Corinthians 3:18

So  it would seem that part of the way God transforms us into the image of Jesus is by waiting!  Ugg. I know you don't want to hear that any more than I do.  Yet, there's more. It's not just the waiting that does it... it's how we wait. Do we wait complaining and angry like spoiled children waiting to open their gifts at Christmas, or do we take the time to allow God to "etch the image of Jesus" onto us by growing closer to Him through prayer and Bible study and by submitting completely to  His will in our lives.  

In other words, waiting seems like a great opportunity to grow in our faith!  I know. I know. I'm with you. I still don't like it. But is there anything of value in life that comes easily?  Yes, salvation is free, but discipleship is not. Paul exhorted us to run the race put before us with all diligence. 

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.  And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.
  
Obviously there is more at stake in our walks with God than salvation. So, if you are waiting on the Lord now for something, consider it all joy and ask God to use the time to help you run the race He has put before you!


.



13 comments:

  1. Great post. You are so right. Waiting stinks. Especially when it comes to waiting for God's timing. Have a blessed week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. It's hard especially when you're waiting to see God's work in the life of someone dear whom you've been praying for a long time. It does us well to remember that salvation is of the Lord.Thanks for the timely post, Marylu! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. It's hard especially when you're waiting to see God's work in the life of someone dear whom you've been praying for a long time. It does us well to remember that salvation is of the Lord.Thanks for the timely post, Marylu! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been praying for lost members of my family for over 20 years.. so yes, I agree.. that is one of the hardest things to wait for. :-)

      Delete
  4. Monday 18th,
    "Morning, MaryLu ... and gals."
    Excellent post, once again. Waiting ... ahhhh yes, something none of us enjoy doing. But what you shared is so true ... basically nothing happens immediately, when we are asking/waiting upon the Lord. Learning to be a "gracious and thankful waiter" ... although still not liking it ... but asking for "His Will" to be done. And truly, that is only accomplished in "His timing" !!!
    Along with many others ... still waiting on some prayers to be answered. But oh to be found faithful during that waiting time, in how we handle the 'waiting'.
    Thanks for another timely word in due season !
    Temps are WAY below zero this morning !!! Don't tell me ... you are probably enjoying "sunny and warm" ??? Ahhhhh ... such is the case ... as we "wait" once again, for the promise of Spring-time !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sunny and warm here, Brenda... .but definitely NOT below zero!! I don't know how you do it! :-) Stay warm!

      Delete
  5. The Waitihg Room can be tortuous or a blessing. It can also be the Learning Room. How we wait will determine who we wait with. I think of the men who were just released from their prison in Iran. What they went through we cannot fathom. What their family went through as they were waiting for them to come home. So waiting for them was also a different kind of prison.
    I am sure some will say --and where was God during their ordeal? God was with them. His tears and sorrow for every wrong doing happening to them - He was beside them saying quietly-- "I know ,I know, I have been there my Son"
    They are coming home, broken but not defeated. They are coming home grateful for the freedom they have now- they are coming home stronger in their love for their Lord and Savior, they are coming home because they are loved by Jesus Christ !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, you are so right. I often think of my persecuted brothers and sisters in the middle east. So many are waiting for God to deliver them. Those released men are probably closer now to the Lord than they've ever been, and I imagine they wouldn't trade that for the world!

      Delete
  6. This is a great post and reminder for us all.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for another wonderful post, MaryLu!!

    Yes, waiting is hard - I've been praying, and waiting, for the salvation of lost family members for more than 20 years also, waiting for healing, etc.. And yet - the less important waits for small things can be frustrating also. Waiting becomes easier when I remind myself His timing is always best - for reasons we can only imagine beforehand, when I am reminded of the ways He has blessed me and the trials He has brought me through - it tends to make the small waits less important. I think waiting instills patience and appreciation also - perhaps I would tend to be less grateful if every prayer was answered affirmatively and immediately??

    Love, prayers, and hugs - MaryLu!!

    Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Bonnie. If God just gave us everything we ask for when we ask for it, I'm sure we would end up like spoiled children. As you know, I, too, am waiting for the salvation of a very close loved one. God is faithful!!!!

      Delete
  8. Hi MaryLu! It has been a long time since I have commented here. Waiting is hard. I am getting married soon and these last few months are really difficult! But I am confident that we are getting married exactly when God wanted us to. Looking back, getting married earlier would have brought on it's own set of issues. I am thankful and trusting in God's timing, but will be grateful when April gets here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma!! Good to see you back!! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! I'm so excited for you. :-) Yes, marriage is something many people don't wait for God's timing on... myself included. The results can be difficult times ahead. So glad you made the right choice! Many blessings to you and your new husband as you start on your life together!

      Delete