Monday, May 23, 2016

Avoid giving into temptation! Lessons from David

I love King David. He's definitely one of my favorite people in the Old Testament. What I love most about him was his utter devotion to and love for God. Remember in those days, people didn't have access to God like we do. Yes, God heard their prayers, but they couldn't hear back from God unless He appeared to them, sent an angel, spoke to them through a prophet, or gave them momentary inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Even the High Priest had to go through multiple sacrifices, cleansing rituals, etc.. before he could even enter the Holy of Holies, and he could only do that once a year.

I hear some Christians say that they wish an angel would appear to them or they wish that Jesus would appear and tell them what to do. Others run to prophets for answers. But the truth of the matter is, the saints in the Old Testament would have LOVED to have had what we have today:  The Spirit of God living inside of us and hence, moment by moment access to the throne of God.  Yet, I wonder how many of us really appreciate that privilege?

Anyway, I digress. That David loved and honored the Lord so much without having access to God like we do marvels me. In fact, David was so anointed by God that he never lost a war.  Did you know that? Every battle David fought, he won!  How would you like that record? Not that we fight physical battles (most of us) but we do fight spiritual ones. Wouldn't it be awesome to be so anointed and favored by God that we had victory over everything the enemy sends our way?  It's possible!

Also, another cool fact about David is that he actually WILL sit on the throne again in Jerusalem. The Bible is very clear about that. Of course that will be in the millennial Kingdom after Jesus returns to Earth. Jesus will rule the world, but David will rule Israel.  Here's just one of many verses. Think this is a figurative promise?  I don't think so.

But My mercy shall not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from before you.  And your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you. Your throne shall be established forever.”’  2 Sam 7:15-16

I actually pray quite often that God would give me a heart like David's, for David was a man after "God's own heart".  What a wonderful thing to say about anyone.  But as we all know, for all of David's good qualities, he was also a sinner like the rest of us. In fact, he was an adulterer and a murderer. So how did this great man fall?  

We all know the story. David was on his rooftop and he happened to see a woman bathing in her courtyard. Bathsheba. Apparently she was very beautiful and David kept looking and looking until his lust reached its peak and he had her brought to him. Later when Bathsheba got pregnant, David had her husband killed in order to cover it up. Even after that, he married Bathsheba. 

Pretty bad stuff, right? As I was reading this story, I thought to myself .. Wow, I would never do something like that!  Then I almost heard the Lord laughing at me and instantly things popped into my mind that I had done. Yikes!  How proud we Christians can become!!  The truth is, any of us are but a moment away from diving into the mudpit of sin.  How did it happen to such a great man as David? I'll submit to you my opinions, which will also substitute as warnings to us all. 

Avoid Complacency in your walk with God:  I believe David had drifted from God. Maybe he wasn't praying as often or going to the temple or reading the Torah.  Maybe he'd gotten caught up in the pleasures of this world.  You see, he should have been at war with his men. The Scripture is clear in 2 Samuel 11 that this was the time kings went out to battle. Yet David sent his general and armies out without him while he stayed home.  

Keep your mind and body occupied with honest work:  There's a saying that an idle mind is the devil's workshop or something like that. Boredom and laziness can lead to all sorts of trouble and it gives satan an opportunity to plant ideas in your head, to fill your thoughts with things that shouldn't be there. The Scripture says that David was lying in bed in the late afternoon right before he saw Bathsheba. 

See or hear something you shouldn't? Turn away:  I'm sure David didn't set out to watch Bathsheba bathing, but as soon as he saw her, he should have walked away. Whatever your weakness in life is, the devil is going put it right in front of you often and then whisper in your ear that you deserve it.  The reason David couldn't turn away was probably because he wasn't close to God. He'd drifted and wasn't thinking on Godly things. If he had been, he would have had the strength to turn away. 

Let's face it, sin is pleasurable. But it always has a price. David payed a huge price with years and years of trouble in his family, including death, betrayal, rape, and his own son trying to murder him. The pleasure of sin is never worth the price.

David did repent of his sin and turn back to God, but I'm sure he would have given anything to turn back the clock and resist Bathsheba in that one moment of weakness. Let this be a warning to us all.


.


10 comments:

  1. Great post especially for the youth.:) But any age is vulnerable when it comes to pleasures. I heard this quote in a sermon and I'm going to leave it here, it's so thought-provoking: "If you think you are immune to sexual temptation, you're wiser than Solomon, more righteous than David and stronger than Samson." So yes, let us beware of what may come our way. It's usually when we "relax" that it is most dangerous to escape that treacherous whisper of sin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great quote, Rose! Yes, we must be on our guard at all times.

      Delete
  2. Monday 23rd,
    "Morning, MaryLu, and Rose."
    Another timely word ... excellent post. Yes, we "all" need to be so diligent ... because not one of us is immune to temptations. It's what we do with them ... or do we simply walk away from them. Indeed ... a warning to us all.
    Thanks again for another great post.
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Brenda. Always good to hear from you. :-)

      Delete
  3. Great post. I, too, love David's devotion to God. Whenever I read about his adultery, however, I get angry at the fact that David had Uriah deliver his own death sentence....2 Samuel 11:14 In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it with Uriah. 15 In it he wrote, “Put Uriah out in front where the fighting is fiercest. Then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die.”
    Uriah was so faithful to the king, that he never, ever would have thought to read the note that he carried. What if he had? I believe he would have still delivered it and died for the king.
    Yes, we are all capable of such sins....which is why we need to keep in constant communication with God, asking for wisdom in all situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think Uriah was such an honorable man that he would have delivered his own death warrant. I've always thought that I would never do something as bad as David, but you know, I think we are all capable of great evil if we are backed into a corner.. it's when we think we would never do something bad like that, that we are most vulnerable.

      Delete
  4. If David ,who had a heart full of love for God could stumble in a very big way, the biggest way possible of wanting another man's wife , if David who it seemed like you said, might have stepped to the side and not walked as close as he should. Or perhaps his prayer life with God was not his number one choice of worship, if he could falter and repent than that gives others hope for forgiveness when they falter in their walk with the Lord.
    A few weeks ago a strange thing happened to me. In my short hallway from my bedroom to my bathroom I have a tall bookcase that I have all my Bibles, Commentaries, booklets and devotions and they are really jammed in there tight.
    I got up around 6:00am to go into the bathroom. Then again around 8:30 am and as I came out of my bedroom -past the bookcase -I stopped short. There on the floor face up was a small book I had jammed into the bookcase. I did take a picture as it was not there at 6. It was a book by Andrew Murray and the title was -"-Jesus Christ--Prophet--Priest--King."
    I was a little stressed out as I did not how how that book got on the floor and in the position it was in. I checked the doors--all locked-- and no one would climb up 6 floors and climb over my balcony. It bothered me a lot. I prayed and asked God what I should do? I prayed and prayed and the more I prayed --God did reveal to me what I should do. Read the Book.
    I confessed that I was not praying like I should. Maybe watching too much Fox News and the debates and realized how easy it is to slip away from worshipping our Lord and Savior as I should. Putting Him first is the utmost thing I must do.
    I am so thankful that God loves me and that just a little reminder to shake me up in the form of a mysterious book on my floor to get me back on track of walking each step with Him.
    I still wonder about how that book got on the floor--Perhaps I have a Holy Mouse in my House!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I failed to mention that I live alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post, MaryLu - a reminder we must be consistent and vigilant in our relationship with God lest we slip and give in to sin, reaping the consequences. The one good thing about giving in is the lessons learned through the consequences and the renewal of our relationship with Him.

    Love, hugs, and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post MaryLu.
    Blessings,Tina

    ReplyDelete