Friday, September 9, 2016

One of the Few

Happy Friday, everyone!

I have a book recommendation for you.  You know by now that I won't recommend a book unless I've read it and loved it.  This author, Jason Ladd, contacted me through email to ask if I'd be interested in reading and reviewing his book. Mind you, I get many such requests and I honestly don't have time. When I do read, it's for pleasure and not for work.  Anyway, I ended up buying this book and reading it. Why? I can only say it was the Holy Spirit. 

Let me preface my review by saying that this book would be the perfect book to give someone who is struggling with their faith, or someone who is searching for the truth or for God or investigating Christianity. Though it is a military story in the sense that it is the story of a marine pilot's life, it is really a story of his quest for faith and the truth. Think of it as C.S. Lewis'  Mere Christianity meets Top Gun.  If you're not into the military stuff, it won't distract you. I actually enjoyed learning about it. But it would be perfect for someone who enjoys that as well.  Anyway, highly recommended!!  You'll find my review below

A Marine fighter pilot embarks on the greatest mission of all: the pursuit of truth.

Jason B. Ladd realizes that while he’s ready to defend his country, he is unprepared for his most important decisions as a husband and father.

In One of the Few, Ladd pulls from his extensive military training to offer a compelling defense of the Christian faith as he warns seekers to avoid spiritual apathy and offers effective Christian tactics for withstanding spiritual attacks.

Filled with deeply personal stories, this compelling book comes directly from the spirit of a man with the soul of a marine, the mind of a fighter, the heart of a father, and a commitment to Christ.






Jason B. Ladd is an author, US Marine, and Iraq War veteran. He has flown as an instructor pilot in both the F/A-18 and the F-16. He and his wife, Karry, have five children.

My Review


I was completely taken away with this book. I'm not really into military books, so I wasn't expecting much. But wow., this story totally blew me away. With expert skill, the author weaves a truly fascinating story of his youth, then entrance into the marines, his fighter pilot training, his time at war... As if those things aren't interesting enough, right alongside all the really cool stories of his time as a pilot, he examines his questions about the meaning of life: is there a God, is death the end, what are we here for, who put us here? All the questions most people ignore but questions we should all be asking. Why? Because the answers are vitally important to our eternity.
 I love how the author dove so deeply and courageously into the issues, bringing the wisdom of well-known apologetic theologians into the story, right alongside his outward journey as a pilot. I could sense his confusion and frustration and slowly see understanding blossom in his mind as he progressed. I also loved how he started each chapter off with a quote from an atheist or philosopher and then one from a Christian.
This is a fabulous book on so many accounts. It's a love story, a war story, an adventure, and the incredible journey of one man's search for truth.
If you have questions about God, life, purpose, and what is the truth, I encourage you to pick up this book and follow along with the author as he purposely and meticulously examines all these questions and more.  If you don't have questions, heck, you'll still enjoy the adventure!

PURCHASE FROM AMAZON

My News
This last release of She Walks in Power wiped me out, so I'm taking a break in September from writing. I'm trying to rest my brain, enjoy music, good books, and spend much time in prayer.  I have some things I want to share with you that are really important, but I want to make sure I have the facts right and the Lord's permission.  Anyway, have a great weekend!

God Bless you all.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the book recommendation, Marylu! It does look like an awesome book! :)) I'm gonna keep an eye on it.
    As far as you're concerned, take all the time off that you need. You need both physical and spiritual replenishment, God bless you richly.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you rest fully and completely as you keep your mind on Him! May he fully replenish you and saturate you with his spirit, supernatural strength and perfect will. Isaiah 26:3; Psalms 4:8. What a beautiful picture you are of how the Lord fills us so we can pour out to others! Refill in the presence and comfort of the Lord, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation and review of 'One of the Few', MaryLu!! Before I started reading Christian Fiction - I read primarily Christian non-fiction, bios and auto bios. I think I would love 'One of the Few'!!

    Enjoy your time of rest and restoration, MaryLu - I'm praying for you, and looking forward to hearing your news when you return!!

    Love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete