Monday, September 5, 2016

Peace, peace, but there is no peace!


Has anyone else noticed how bad things are getting in the world, or is it just me?  If all you watch is lamestream media, all you'll hear about is the upcoming election. Yet there is so much more going on in the world. Russian, Iran, and China are flexing their military muscles, an asteroid came really close to the earth, plans are being made to split Jerusalem, a huge occult gathering is being celebrated now in Nevada called the Burning Man, Christianity is on the decline in America, experts are predicting a economic crash, job growth is at its lowest in a decade, our streets are filled with riots and violence, earthquakes everywhere... okay, I'll stop.  This post is about peace, after all.

Amid all the chaos and uncertainty around us, we who follow Jesus are supposed to be at peace at ALL times. For normally anxious people like myself, that can often be a hard thing to do.  Yet, I believe the Lord showed me how to find peace in a very well known Scripture to most of us.

Whenever I see a Scripture that speaks to me, I always look at the Scriptures that come before and after it, so I can put it into context of what the Lord is saying through the writer.

The passage I'm talking about is Philipians 4:6-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

We've all read this a thousand times, right? But does it always work for you? It doesn't for me. Sometimes I pray and give the Lord all my concerns and requests, and I may feel better for awhile, but not more than an hour goes by and I'm not at peace any more. 

Here are the verses that precede the above passage.  

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.

And here are the verses that follow it

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

So how do you achieve peace of mind and spirit and keep it?

  • Rejoice in the Lord Always! That means always thanking Him for everything and praising His name. I'm talking all day long!
  • Be kind to everyone you encounter, be loving, encouraging and supportive
  • Keep your mind on things that are pure. Don't just keep your mind on them, but meditate on them! That means stay away from depressing, violent, sexually explicit entertainment in all of its forms and instead focus on God, heaven, the truth, love, etc.  Does that mean we shouldn't even watch the news? No, I don't think so. Keep informed but there's no need to watch it all day. If you do, you'll probably end up depressed and anxious. 
  • And of course, pray without ceasing. Talk to God all day long. 

Easy to say, hard to do but I believe this is how you keep walking in Peace. You must focus all your thoughts on the Lord constantly, on His Word, on His Love. Always be thankful, and always be in prayer.

May it be said of all of us in heaven

They have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

May you find the peace of God today!


.

13 comments:

  1. Amen, Marylu! There's so much truth in here.:) I think fear is probably satan's no. 1 tool in getting us off track because he knows how much he can "accomplish" with that in our lives, that's why we find the Lord telling us constantly throughtout Scripture "fear not". Yes, I totally agree and I practice it myself, this daily conversation with the Lord. Keeping our mind & heart on Him throughout the day, talking to Him and reading His Word,reading a good book on spiritual matters, playing worship music, etc. This definitely keeps our connection with Him open. Let Him be our life instead of a mere "quiet time" of several min every day.
    Your title post made me think of an increasingly popular trend in today's culture where there is this "peace movement" promoted by celebrities, they talk about uniting as "One", love & peace and loving the universe, etc. The kind of New Age stuff that people are buying into.They also constantly flash all sorts of occultic signs like the peace sign and others...It breaks my heart to see humanity filling its spiritual void with these "motivational" speeches instead of Jesus Christ.:( I also think this "love & peace" thing promoted by public figues is a prequel of the global worship that will be directed towards the Antichrist ( based on what I have seen on several YT channels that discuss the Illuminati phenomenon). What do you think? I say most people are tricked by this "philosophy".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.. it's so sad people look for peace everywhere else but from the Prince of Peace.

      Delete
  2. Mon Sept 5th,
    "Morning MaryLu ... and Rose".
    No, you are definitely NOT alone MaryLu ! Everything is unfolding exactly as Jesus predicted it would be. I "try" to not allow the fear to get the best of me, but alas .. I am human like everyone else. However, that being said .... we DO know the outcome of this story and life !!!
    Whenever I think about and consider all of the -- chaos, natural disasters, wars/killings/murders/beheadings/tortures/riots, etc, the various Countries greedy for power and world-dominion ... I reason back to Scripture, and Jesus saying that -- "we" the people would cry out for "peace, peace" .... but He said, there would be NO peace. Not while things remain as they are, here on this earth.
    Encouraging and true words you've shared ... ALWAYS BE THANKFUL, AND, ALWAYS PRAYING.
    Thank-you for today's most sobering blog MaryLu .... another timely word in due season.
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. we do know the end of the story! So comforting. Thanks, Brenda!

      Delete
  3. Good Morning! I completely understand anxious thoughts and feelings. I used to be really great at worrying. Believe me I worried because I didn't have anything to worry about. How ridiculous! Through lots of prayer and determining to trust God despite circumstances I walk in peace. It hasn't been easy but being at this end and looking back, I am so very grateful to God for helping me. I took time to really read Job and I found that when we trust God, it's because we know Him. He is loving, faithful, merciful, compassionate, and the list can go on forever. My peace is knowing that no matter what comes or doesn't come I am forever His and will forever be with Him. That is peace to me. Blessings to you MaryLu and thank you for your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, how wonderful to hear that you have victory in this area. This is a great ministry for you to help others who are dealing with fear. :-)

      Delete
  4. Good morning All.
    I needed this message today. I hear the news and see the disasters-- political, weather, floods, earthquakes , world wide trouble and people losing hope. even those who have never really had that hope. We have that Hope, His Name is Jesus Christ.
    We need to pray for all who do not know Christ as their Lord and Savior. Even if it starts out as , one person at a time. If we do not pray for those who do not know-Him--- than who will.?
    Psalm 27:14. Wait on the Lord, be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I have a list of unsaved people I pray for everyday. That list has grown over the years. God hears our prayers and acts on them! He loves everyone... and wants everyone to know Him!

      Delete
  5. Great post!
    John 14:26-28 (NASB)

    26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful. 28 You heard that I said to you, ‘I go away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

    God bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen MaryLu! Very timely post, love the Scripture verses.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beauty. Remember perfect love removes and demolishes all fear. Fear is running rampart everywhere, especially with G-d's children. He starts out as concern, concern grows to caution, caution grows to worry and worry births full fledged fear. Consider the Lord in all you do and He will make each path straight and each rocky place smooth. (For you bible thumpers, yes, I merged a couple of verses together) :D

    ReplyDelete