Monday, November 14, 2016

After Election Madness! How the Church has failed



I was born and raised in the United States. I voted in my first election in 1980 for Ronald Reagan, and I haven't missed a vote since. And I can tell you that I've never seen such violence in my country after an election. EVER. Of course there are always going to be disgruntled and disappointed people after any election. Believe me, when Obama was elected the first time I was upset. When he was elected the second time, I was horrified. But I didn't go out in the streets, destroy property, burn flags, and start fires.  Or worse, call for his assassination. I accepted that my candidate didn't get elected, prayed about it, and then went on living my life.

This was a free, democratic election. The people voted and Trump won. I have not heard about any fraudulent activity or mis-counting, so everything was on the up and up. Which makes me wonder why these people are protesting? How can you protest against a FREE democratic election? You can certainly protest if a candidate stole the election or a dictator came in with his army and took over, but how can you protest when a man was elected fairly?  You may not like him. You may be afraid of what he'll do (as I was in the past two presidential elections) but you have been out-voted. Time to grow up and face that you don't always win everything in life.

But why the violence?  You want to protest, quietly and peacefully, be my guest, but why hurt people and damage property?  (I truly believe most of these protestors are being paid to do this by a group of powerful, elite people whose only goal is to destroy America so they can form their utopian Global Government, but that story is for another day)  What I truly want to talk about here is the character, the soul of many Americans.

And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold  Matthew 24:12

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,  unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,  traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,  2 Timothy 3:1-4

Sound familiar? 

I believe the Church has failed many young Americans. My mother was born in 1933, and back in her day (and even in my childhood) the American church was still fairly vibrant. Everyone on my block went to church. Families stayed together. Most people had morals, character, and honor. But then young people began leaving the church in droves. Why?  I believe it's because the message was stale and powerless, the sermons boring, and the words empty because people weren't seeing a connection from what they read in the Bible to what they were witnessing in the church and in their own lives. They began to question their faith, if God even existed, and the church didn't know what to do. Add to that, that Scientists were telling people we came from monkeys, and the "free love" movement was telling people to throw off all moral constraints and just do whatever felt good. 

(I'm speaking in generalities here. Not all churches are like this, I realize)

The truth of the matter is, if you know Jesus, I mean if you really know Him and have a relationship with Him, and have God's Holy Spirit living inside of you, and you've been taught how to walk in faith how to operate in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and how to hear from God, there's nothing this world can offer you, that will ever pull you away from God. I know this from personal experience being on both sides of the coin. There's no amount of sex, money, position, fame, power, beauty, friends, relationships, awards, or anything else that could lure me away from Jesus. Why? Because knowing Him is the best thing I've ever experienced. 

That's the key, then, isn't it?  These protestors need to be saved. They need Jesus. Because let's face it, no president or congress or major or supreme court justice is going to save America. Only Jesus can save us, individual by individual, soul by soul. When that happens, I guarantee it, all our national problems will drift away. 

Wake up, church!  Preach the entire Gospel, the Gospel empowered by the Holy Spirit, the same Gospel the Apostles preached that drew in hundreds of converts every day. Forsake your namby-pamby, watered-down, powerless, loveless, selfish gospel and preach on things that matter to Jesus and to these young people. They want purpose, hope, something real, and most of all they want real unconditional love--the love of their heavenly Father. It's up to us to show it to them or believe me, if  America continues down this path--no matter who is president--we will end up like Rome and crumble to pieces from within.

.


12 comments:

  1. Truer words.
    I'm so ready for Christ's return - but then I think of all these who are not. We need to wake up, church!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready too! I can't wait! But yes, then I think of those who still need to hear.

      Delete
  2. Dear MaryLu. I am so glad I get to read your many posts. They help me so much.
    You
    Know I love to write. I get so sick of the trash on FaceBook so I have taken it upon myself to write some about my walk with Jesus. I do write something most days. Today I wrote on 2 Chronicals 29:2a. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord.
    In the 1st month of Hezekiah 's reign , he opened the doors of the Temple of the Lord and repaired them. He called forth the Priests and the Levites, assembling them in the square on the right side and in words told them to consecrate themselves -then to consecrate the Temple of the Lord. In his word - he told them the nation had turned their faces away from the Lord.
    In verse 15-- they consecrated themselves , they purified the Temple of the Lord and followed the Word.
    The Lamps were lit for people to see that the temple was restored to God.
    We need to open our doors to our a temples, declutter and let our light shine for others to see. We need to open the doors to our hearts and declutter our temple and pray that our Christlight is strong and bright for those wandering with no hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful analogy from Scripture, Elise! Thank you. There are so many without hope these days.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully stated in love. couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, MaryLu - thank you for another wonderful post!! It's hard to believe so many highly educated, intelligent people have stooped to the level of children throwing temper tantrums, threats, and much worse!! Have they lost all common sense and morality?? Anger and violence benefits no one, God has the answers for all mankind - not man.

    Love, prayers, and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have hit the nail on the head. Thanks for your insightful words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post MaryLu. I so agree with you.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, my friend. Sorry it took so long to respond. I haven't been feeling too well these past few days. I know you can sympathize. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary Lu!

    I love, love, LOVE that you are urging others to preach the whole Gospel!

    This election has revealed much to me, but one thing in particular stood out: there is a LOT of misplaced faith in the world. People have placed their faith in fallible sources (the potential president elects, the government, the U.S., etc). I listened to a ypung women crying and despairing on a news broadcast because she was so fearful of what a Trump presidency would mean for her as a woman. I listened to a man with a brain tumor cry as he spoke to a reporter because he had no idea if he would be able to continue receiving treatment. I could share more stories but the point is this: people in this country and around the world NEED Jesus. They need to hear the Gospel of Truth! ALL OF IT.

    It is my prayer that the uncertainty felt by those in this country and around the world will drive them to Jesus. I pray that the Lord Jesus will work through this situation and effectively call those in His flock to him.

    One more thing became clear to me through this election: the world is susceptible to the influence of the beast. I don't know who the beast is, or when the man of lawlessness will be revealed, however all whose faith is not in Christ Jesus, the Lord, are in danger of worshipping him and receiving his mark on their hand and/or forehead. We must pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ, for those who are not yet awake and for those who are in disobedience.

    There are many in our own congregations, and who voted for Donald Trump, who fit the description provided in those verses from Matthew and Timothy. They may not even realize it! My heart hurts the most for those who THINK they are saved but may not be. Again, the need for the full Gospel is is dire and urgent.

    Your passion for the Lord Jesus and your compassion for sinners inspires and encourages me, Mary Lu! Be encouraged, and stand firm.

    May the Lord Jesus Christ continue to bless you!

    From your sister in Christ with love,

    Diamond

    P.S. I am 23. The Lord Jesus has not failed me, and He never will :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Yes, the world is so primed for the Antichrist. They want a leader.. someone who will supposedly usher in peace and provide for their needs. This wasn't the case even 50 years ago. Let's keep praying for the lost and even those in church who think they are safe!

      Delete