Monday, February 6, 2017

Do we care about the lost?


A friend of mine sent me a link to the video below and after watching it, I was deeply grieved.  It will take 5 minutes of your time, but it will be time well spent.





My purpose in posting this is not to cause anyone to feel guilty. Lord knows, we all live with enough guilt as it is. However, I can't help but think of the countless Christians I know (myself included) who spend most of our prayer time asking for the Lord's help. Help with jobs, money, bills, health issues, kids, our marriages, friendships. We may even pray for our pastor, our country's leaders, and for our own spiritual walk with God to be closer. ALL GOOD THINGS!  Nothing wrong with prayers like this at all. But this video got me to thinking about how ultimately those prayers are all self-serving. Even the prayer that God changes our hearts and makes us more like Him, can at its roots be somewhat selfish. (Please bear with me, I'm not at all saying this isn't a good prayer and that it doesn't greatly please God)

We go to church services, sometimes multiple times a week, we listen to sermons online, we attend conferences about marriage and finances and end times. But when was the last time we actually told someone about Jesus?  When was the last time we spent an hour in prayer, crying and sweating blood for the lost people we know? When was the last time we denied ourselves food and instead spent that time praying for the lost world?

Again, I'm not trying to invoke guilt. And I'm not trying to say that we all need to get out on the streets and tell people about Jesus. We all have different gifts in the body of Christ. And believe me, mine isn't evangelism! But we need to figure out what gifts we have and use them to help open people's eyes who are trapped in darkness.

Just think of how much that would mean  to the Lord? If we dove into the raging sea along side Him and helped Him rescue those beloved children He loves so much!  If you have a lost child, think of what that would mean to you if someone came alongside you to help save him or her!

The truth is, hell is a place that is far beyond our most horrible nightmare. And it lasts forever. Perhaps in 2017, we can make a vow to spend less time praying about our own troubles and more time asking God what we can do to help. He may send some of us on missions trips. He may send some to our neighbors. He may ask you to use your talents to create things that glorify Him. Or He may simply ask you to pray for the lost.

The truth is, I believe that when we jump in the trenches with the Lord, when we really work beside Him with all our heart, not only will we come to know Him more, but all of our personal problems will slowly drift away.


4 comments:

  1. Dear MaryLu,
    That was an amazing video. Your thoughts and words bring home to the heart what the words and thoughts from the video is showing us. I always include in my prayers to be the woman of Christ that He would have me be. Have I just uttered the words but failed to act on them? I pray not. I need to pray those words but also put feet on those words and not only be that woman but act like that woman that Christ would have me be. I can pray--but I also need to act on them. Do I want to show my Christ to others? Yes. Do I think I have nothing to give ? I hope not. I have the most beautiful gift I can share and that is Jesus Christ , my Lord and Savior.
    Which brings me to this that I have been praying, along with to be the woman that Christ would have me be-- is to keep my salt salty and my light brightly lit--and to help light the way. In this time in all our lives the lost world is getting deeper and further away, and this great video showed me--I can help,so included in my prayer I will say--Use me Lord Jesus--I am yours-- use me.
    Thank again for your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsie. I love your heart. May the Lord use us both to save those still struggling in the darkness.

      Delete
  2. Very powerful message. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!! Powerful video!!

    Love, hugs, and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete