Monday, April 23, 2018

How badly do you want it?



And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,  And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse, When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.  For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole  Mark 5:25-28

We have all probably heard the story of this poor woman who had been bleeding for TWELVE years! You women out there can well imagine her pain and discomfort. But did you know that when a woman was on her monthly period in Israel, she was considered unclean? In fact, she was not permitted to go out in public, nor could anyone touch her.  This poor lady had been ostracized from society and all human touch for twelve years!

Not only that, but she had spent ALL her money on doctors, and it says she suffered under their "cures". In other words, she'd been through a lot of pain trying to be healed. Instead of being healed, she actually got worse!  Now, the Scripture says, she heard of Jesus. I often wonder what she heard. Obviously she heard He could heal people. She had probably also heard how He stilled the raging sea, delivered people of demons, and other miracles. She, no doubt, had heard the rumblings that this Jesus might indeed be the long-awaited Messiah. 

Somehow she had to get to him. But how? This was no easy task. Not for her. She was not allowed to be in public. No doubt, everyone in town knew of her "disease" by now. If she dared to make an appearance in the public square, people would shout, "Unclean! Unclean!"  and dart to the other side of the street. Some people probably cursed at her, spit, and told her to go home. Then add to that the fact that she was very sick. I would guess anemic from the loss of blood and hence, very very weak. It would have taken every ounce of her remaining strength to drag herself from her home and try to find Jesus. 

But she does find Him!  Unfortunately, He's surrounded by a huge mob of people, pressing in on Him, touching Him, and begging for His help. Mind you, she's not allowed to touch anyone!  To press through that crowd would take a great deal of strength and determination, but also she'd have to battle people who would be horrified by her touch and probably try to shove her away. 


For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole   Mark 5:28

This is the key. She didn't say:
"Maybe if I touch Him, I'll be healed."
"Can't hurt to try to touch Him. I've tried everything else."
"Please God, heal me if I touch Him." 

No, she said "I SHALL be made whole."  She believed with all her heart that Jesus would (not could or might) but would heal her.  It's called FAITH.

And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague. And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?  Mark 5:29-31

She believed without a doubt and she was healed!  Notice that there were MANY people touching Jesus. Many. I imagine most of them hoped to get a miracle or healing by just touching Him. Why else would they be touching Him? But NO ONE else that we are told of, received healing. Why? I believe it's because they didn't have faith. They may have had hope, but you can't receive a miracle without faith. 

Yet it doesn't end there. I love this woman because she could have gotten healed and then taken off in a bolt, hoping not to get caught. Surely she would fear that Jesus might get angry and take her healing away. After all, she didn't ask His permission. 


But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.  V: 33-34

I love that He calls her daughter. So intimate. And notice what made her whole? Her faith. Yes, she had faith, but she also acted on that faith. Our actions prove our faith. Her actions were not easy. Making her way to Jesus was extremely difficult for this woman, but her journey proved her faith. Most people would have given up along the way when things got tough. When people cursed at them or shouted at them to go home. When someone spit on them. When they saw the huge crowd and how impossible it would be to get through it. When their bodies felt like they had no strength left at all for one more step.   

Are you in need of a miracle today? How badly do you want it? 

1. Figure out who you believe Jesus is.  "she heard of Jesus" If you're not saved, get saved. Then seek the Scriptures for God's promise for your problem.
2. She knew Jesus would heal her. For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole. Do you know? Faith comes by reading the Word of God and by knowing the author of that Word. Grow your faith!
3. Step out in Faith. she came in the press behind, and touched his garment. Your step of faith could be a variety of things, but true faith is always expressed in an action. Ask God what He wants you to do.

Is stepping out in faith worth receiving the condemnation of others, worth looking like a fool, worth draining every last ounce of your strength, worth pressing through a difficult crowd of issues (unbelief, doubt, fear, pain)?  Do you truly believe Jesus will do what He said? Or are you just hoping? If you're just hoping, you probably won't keep pressing through, and you will never get your miracle. 


Faith is important to God. 
Without Faith it is impossible to please God  Hebrews 11:6
Faith without Works is dead. James 2:17

Then He touched their eyes, saying, “According to your faith let it be to you. Matt 9:29
Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire. Matt 15:28
Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” Mark 10:52
Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.” Luke 7:50
And He said to him, “Arise, go your way. Your faith has made you well.”Luke 17:19
Then Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has made you well.” Luke 18:42
And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith. Matt 13:58



10 comments:

  1. MaryLu I love this story too. Thank you for using your beautiful gift of writing to share God's Words yet again. Faith does need to be acted upon. I need to watch for times I need to act on my faith. God bless you for being so faithful to continually share the words of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a beautiful story to remember. 2 Corinthians 5:7 tells us that it is by faith, not by sight.
    I read Hebrews 11 this morning as suggested in my 30/30 challenge I told you about. What a marvelous chapter of reviewing the many who accomplished so much based on their faith.
    I believe we can do no less and I pray for wisdom and strength to do the same.
    Thank you for your writings and your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing that you read the Faith chapter this morning, Evelyn! I'm working on improving my faith as well. :-)

      Delete
  3. Dear MaryLu, I love Mark. There are so many nuggets of gold in Mark! You have covered this story in such a way that pulls one in and makes them thinks beyond the verse. It must the author in you 😍😍.
    I love step three-- reminds me of my prayers after my heart problems and surgery for my pacemaker. So thankful for the healing through surgery and in asking God what did he want me to do with those 14 seconds my heart had stopped? 14 seconds doesn't sound like a long time but it was long enough that about 10 Dr's and nurses came running. And yes, I am to tell my lost 14 Second to others. And when I do, I feel the peace that comes from Him!
    God is good and His Word is Truth and Thank you for being obedient and writing to help those who read your words to seek Him more and more. In the days now and ahead we need to seek Him and keep in His word. It is scary out there! Blessings to you and your family. May God keep you in the Palm of His Hands always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't know that your heart had stopped for 14 seconds. That sounds like a long time to me. God is so faithful and good! I'm glad he jump-started your heart again. :-) And yes, it's a scary world. Thank you for your blessings! I accept them and send them back to you!

      Delete
  4. MaryLu, someone had asked me what I felt in those 14 seconds ( I did not realize my heart had stopped) I remember how dumbfounded and confuse the 10 Drs and nurses looked at each other asking what just happened here? Someone said-look she just corrected herself —
    I did nothing -it was God! And when a person asked me later —-what did that 14 seconds feel like . I paused and then I looked at them and said. “ I was at complete peace . Absolutely at peace. Peace that I have never felt before. A beautiful peace. I believe that I was in Gods Holy Presence for 14 seconds and with all that confusion around me in the ER His peacefulness was Like an embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to ask if you saw anything.. as some do during these near death experiences, but I assumed you would have said. The peaceful feeling is awesome.. and something I look forward to. Pure Peace! God is so wonderful. I imagine He was hugging you during those 14 seconds!

      Delete
  5. No I didn't . The only thing I remember seeing was all these Dr's. And Nurses racing in flinging the curtains out of the way and then it went quiet with the alarms shutting off. They seemed confused and I can remember one Dr said-"what just happened here? " and another Dr said--" look she corrected herself". ( my numbers from being wired up.) I looked at my daughter Linda and she shrugged her shoulders. Then they left. Not one person came over to check me to see if I was ok Later a Dr came in telling me what happened.of course they admitted me. In all that confusion is when I felt that overwhelming peace that was so so peaceful . And when I was admitted I prayed that night but my prayers never reached the ceiling of that room. It was my prayers that was telling God that I did not have time for this - I had a graduation to go to, my grandson was getting married and I and I and I. Empty selfish prayers. The pace maker was put in the next morning and my prayers that night were totally different. I was in deep conversation and so thankful that all that mattered was just God and I. It was during this time going over and over the night before and the surgery .and how I thanked God for those 14 seconds . And asking Him what should I do with those 14 seconds.( I knew they were important ). And He placed it on my heart and soul to tell others of my 14 seconds. And to tell others -- to look for Him and to come to Him. And that nothing they ever did was that bad and to come.,I was instructed to tell about those 14 seconds. And when I do which I have done-- I feel that peace come over me again. Not like I did in the ER but enough to know He still is Blesses me. Another thing-- I have no fear of passing through that thin curtain into His Arms.
    Again I apology for my lengthy post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Elsie, you are doing a great job with those 14 seconds! Keep up the good work. And never apologize for a long post... someone here (including me) needed to hear this. :-)

      Delete