Monday, June 18, 2018

You must have intimacy with God or you aren't saved


Can I admit to you that I have a tremendous fear. It is a fear that keeps me up at night, a fear that prompts me to spend hours posting on this blog and months writing my novels. It's a fear that brings tears to my eyes, causes my heart to seize, and prompts me to give everything I have,(time, money, sleep) to prevent. What is that fear?

It's a fear that many many people who claim to be Christians are going to end up in hell. 

You see, it's not a prayer, a "belief", attending church, or doing a host of great deeds that gets you into heaven. It's a relationship.

You may recall the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10 when Jesus was in their house teaching a large group of people. Martha was busy working hard trying to prepare a meal for all of them, while Mary was sitting at Jesus's feet, listening to every word He said. Martha complained that her sister wasn't helping her

And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things.  But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her. 

I'm a Martha. I am a worker. I rarely sit down for more than a few minutes. Type AAA personality. So I was always on the side of Martha in this Scripture.Yeah, Mary should help her!  But through the years, I've come to realize that being busy all the time, even if it is in the service of the Lord, is NOT what pleases Him. He wants a relationship with us!  He doesn't just want it, but it is a condition of true salvation.

Remember when Gabriel came to the Virgin Mary to tell her she was going to give birth to the Messiah? 

Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?”

In other words, Mary was saying that she had never been intimate with a man.... how could she become pregnant? 

The word "know" in that verse is the greek word, ginṓskō – which means  to know, especially through personal experience (first-hand acquaintance) "experientially know"  also as in sexual intimacy.

In other words "know" in this case means a very personal, intimate relationship.
Now, let's tie it in with another Scripture that most of us would prefer wasn't in the Bible


 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.  Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’  
Matthew 7:21-23 

The word "knew" in this passage is the SAME word Mary uses in Luke for "sexual intimacy".  This is the word Jesus uses to describe the relationship we must have with Him if we are to enter Heaven. 
We can see here that these people Jesus is talking to are very busy working for the Lord. They are doing all sorts of good things for the Kingdom of God. But in the end, they never took the time to have an intimate relationship with Jesus. And because of that, they are cast out and denied entrance into heaven. 

Can we be too busy doing good? Too busy volunteering at church, too busy with church meetings and activities, too busy listening to sermons and attending conferences, to actually stop and spend time with the Lord, one on one?   Sounds like, from the above Scripture,  "MANY" will do that and many will end up in hell when they thought they were going to heaven. 

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.  Matthew 7:13-14

How do you have intimacy with Jesus? Like any relationship you spend time alone with Him. You find a quiet space, open the Bible, read, and then discuss it with Him. Tell Him your fears, sorrows, hopes, dreams, ask Him to help you understand the Bible, ask Him questions, ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Praise Him, thank Him, worship Him. Do this every day. Set aside as much time as you can. Then throughout your day, speak to Him, thank Him for every little blessing, ask Him for wisdom, just talk to Him like you would a best friend.  Nurture this relationship because it's the most important relationship you'll ever have. 

Take it from this Martha. The more time I spend with the Lord, the more time I want to spend with Him. He's my best friend, my prince, my knight in shining armor, my rescuer, my help, my king, my hope, my joy, and my everlasting love. He loves you more than anyone on earth every will and He longs for you to be with Him. 

 I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars;  and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.  Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. Revelation 2:2-5

Don't be one of those whom Jesus casts away on judgment day. Be one of the few He beckons forward and embraces saying, "Welcome precious one, you're home at last!" 


 
 

12 comments:

  1. Yes! I totally agree with this. It's like breathing...never stop, all day long, stay in constant communication with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember though he says "all you who practice lawlessness" if a supposed Christian practiced lawlessness I would question they were a Christian at all. I think in the case of "I never knew you" - it was not because they were busy casting out demons etc. and not knowing Christ, I think it was because they practiced lawlessness which seems to be happening a lot in churches nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes true. There may have been something else going on with these people.. some sins which they didn't want to give up. Of course that only happens when they don't have a close relationship with Jesus... because you can't have that relationship and still want to sin. :-)

      Delete
  3. I know many many people in this day and age who truly believe that they are going to Heaven simply because they have been "born again" or "saved," as they call it, but continue on with their lives just as if there were no God at all. They think that just because they "believe" that is all that is required, but I know that is not true. I talk to the Lord daily, thank him and praise him for all that he has done in my life, but I too do not spend time reading the Bible, and even though I feel I have a good heart, I may unintentionally hurt people by words and deeds. I worry about my own salvation because I may not be faithful enough. We always think there is enough time to change and do what is required of us, but really... how much time do we have left??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy... remember not to get caught up in works.. even reading the Bible, though I highly recommend it! It's about a relationship... a one on one with Jesus. If you have that.. if you nurture that.... you can be assured of your salvation. None of us have good hearts... not according to God. Just stay close to Jesus!

      Delete
  4. In all the years that I have walked with my Lord and Saviour- I still have that inner fear that nags at me at times. It is not a fear of -- Am I doing enough, reading enough and praying enough-- but is my heart and soul seeking enough -- or have I - given over my all to Him. Have I that relationship that is pleasing to Him. Will He really know me ? Than that thought that I am sure you grew up with-- if you want a friend-you need to be a friend! I heard those words as a young child and have spoken them to my own children and grandchildren and as an adult-- I want Jesus in my life-- and more than just a friend! I want Him in my every thought, my every step, in every face I pass by-- I want to recognize His Face in theirs and for them to recognize the Christ within me. So I ask the Lord God each day to allow me to walk with Him, to seek Him in all around me, and to allow me to stay by His side at all times. I need Him with me always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "am I doing enough, reading enough, praying enough" thoughts are from our enemy. He wants you to feel guilty, like you don't measure up. Believe me, Elsie, from what little I know about you.. you love the Lord with all your heart and have a relationship with Him. Perfect love casts out all fear!

      Delete
  5. Excellent article!Thank you for all your hard work. No, not Martha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a beautiful post. OH how I need to do better...everyday. Thank you MaryLu!

    ReplyDelete