Monday, May 6, 2019

Song of Solomon, The Rapture, and the Marriage of the Lamb!

 
I'm going to assume that many of you have probably never read the Song of Songs or, as some Bibles label it, the Song of Solomon. I'm also going to bet you that you've never heard your pastor or any Bible teacher teach on it, at least very very few. Why?  Well, to be honest, it has some rather risque language and scenes in it. After all, it's about two lovers and a wedding!

What has always astounded me is that Christian publishers would never allow me to write some of the things that we find in the Song of Songs!   The Song of Solomon is a love story. Scholars will tell you it's a love story between King Solomon and one of his wives, but if you dig a little deeper, you will find that it is so much more!

Let me give you the cast of characters

The Shulamite (Gentile ) Girl…………………The Bride-to-be  (The True Church of Jesus)
The King................…………………………...The Bridegroom-to-be  (Jesus)
The Daughters of Jerusalem…………………..Israel


The Shulamite is a gentile girl whom the King has fallen in love with.

In Chapter 1, they exchange loving and flattering words to each other and express their desire to be with one another. This is the courtship phase.

In Chapter 2:10-13, The King beckons the woman to come away with Him

My beloved spoke, and said to me:
“Rise up, my love, my fair one,
And come away.
For lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of singing has come,
And the voice of the turtledove
Is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth her green figs,
And the vines with the tender grapes
Give a good smell.
Rise up, my love, my fair one,
And come away!

Please take note of the time of year that the King is calling His Bride Home.  Spring!!  Also take note of the reference to the Fig Tree, which we know represents Israel and the time frame in which Jesus tells us in Matthew 24:32 that He is coming to take us home!. Also note that the King doesn't come down to where the Bride is, but rather asks her to Rise up.  These are all references to the Rapture and give us a clear picture as to the timing. In Spring and in the Fig Tree Generation!

Chapter 3: The Bride is troubled, seeking her King and thrilled when she finds Him. The Promise is made, the engagement set.

The Bride finds Jesus and says,
When I found him whom my soul loves.
I held on to him and would not let him go


I often feel that way about Jesus, don't you?

 Note this chorus which is repeated 3 times through the book. This is Jesus speaking to the Jews
“I command that you take an oath, O daughters of Jerusalem,
By the gazelles or by the does of the field,
That you do not rouse nor awaken my love
Until she pleases.” 


What does He mean? I believe He is telling the Jews not to wake up His Bride to follow Him until she wants. In other words, He doesn't want a bride who isn't completely interested and completely committed to Him.

Chapter 4 is an expression of the King's love and adoration for His Bride and the Bride's desire for her King, for them to become one.

Chapter 5 describes the torment of separation between Jesus and His Bride. This is the time we are in now, longing for our King and waiting for Him to come sweep us away.  We also see in this chapter that the Gentile bride becomes complacent and didn't answer the King's knock on her door. (Revelation 3:20) When she realizes she missed Him, she goes in search of Him.  Isn't it true of so many of us that we grow weary in waiting, become complacent about our walk with God, and go back to the world?

In verses 8-9, the Bride even asks the Jewish people to help her find Jesus, but they refuse. I found that interesting.

“I command that you take an oath, O daughters of Jerusalem,
If you find my beloved,
As to what you tell him—
[Say that] I am sick from love [sick from being without him].”

“What is your beloved more than another beloved,
O most beautiful among women?
What is your beloved more than another beloved,
That you should so command us to take an oath?”


The Bride then goes on to describe all of the King's wonderful attributes to the Jewish people. This reminded me of how so many Christians try to witness to the Jews about Jesus..  

In Chapter 6,  The Bride and the King delight in each other with compliments and kind words. Toward the end of the chapter, we have yet another reference to the rapture and its timing.

“I went down to the orchard of nut trees
To see the flowers of the valley,
To see whether the grapevine had budded
And the pomegranates were in flower.

“Before I was aware [of what was happening], my desire had brought me
Into the area of the princes of my people [the king’s retinue].”

Here we see the Bride walking through the orchards seeing if things have budded, which is an obvious reference to the Spring.  Then note, that suddenly, without warning, the King brought her into the palace!  

The very next verse describes what the Jewish people will say after they see the Gentile Bride raptured. Some of them will understand what happened and will call out to God.

“Return, return, O Shulammite;
Return, return, that we may gaze at you.”

Chapter 7 - Wedding and Honeymoon!
Chapter 8 - Elevation of the Bride and Love sealed. Within this chapter there is a reference to a sister who has no breasts.  I believe this is a reference to those left behind who weren't mature in Christ, both Jews and Gentiles. Words then are spoken of taking care of her and building her up.

“We have a little sister
And she has no breasts.
What shall we do for our sister
On the day when she is spoken for [in marriage]?

“If she is a wall (discreet, womanly),
We will build on her a turret (dowry) of silver;
But if she is a door (bold, flirtatious),
We will enclose her with planks of cedar.”


Then the very last verse of Chapter 8 says,

“Hurry, my beloved and come quickly,
Like a gazelle or a young stag [taking me home]
On the mountains of spices.”



Come Quickly, Lord Jesus!!!! 

I encourage you to read through the Song of Solomon for yourself, with the revelation of the true meaning of the book.  Ask God to reveal to you its meaning as you read. One thing I believe you will discover is how much Jesus loves, cherishes, and adores you!!.




7 comments:

  1. Great confirmation. I've known the meaning of this Book and you've helped to make it clearer for me. Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always scratch my head when readers slam Christian authors for allowing their characters to act passionately towards one another. I don't mean in an explicit or sinful way, but as two people who are attracted to each other (or sometimes married). God created physical attraction and 'sex' and within His guidelines both are acceptable. I often wonder if these readers ever read Solomon's Song and if they're offended that God allowed it to be included in His Word?

    Thank you for sharing more of your 'digging finds'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. My first book, The Redemption, was heavily edited to take out any salacious parts.. which weren't that salacious, believe me! And I've had reviewers comment on amazon that my books are too risque. Weird. God created the attraction between male and female and I think it's a marvelous thing! If kept within His boundaries! Why are some Christians such prudes? LOL

      Delete
  3. I agree with almost all you have written, MaryLu. I memorized the Song of Solomon before I got married and created a Bible study for others to study it with me. I approached it as a story of Solomon's first love but I also see the symbolism of Christ and the Church and of Israel. I'm rereading it again and was wondering how in the allegory, I see the rapture but I don't see the cross. The cross, I believe is the center of my relationship with Jesus Christ and His resurrection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cross isn't implied because this is about the love relationship between Jesus and his bride, the church. Since it involves the bride, that means the cross has already happened and he is instructing his bride to be ready for when he calls her.

      Delete
  4. Looked for and found in your article the confirmation of my thoughts. The double "Rise up" grabbed my spirit...and the rest aligned with the concept of the rapture and the longing of Israel for Messiah's return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to offer you confirmation, Linmarie. Blessings!

      Delete