Monday, November 30, 2020

Time is Short, but What About my Lost Family?

 I came across this verse last week while reading through the Book of Acts. I'm reading the Amplified version which I really like because it takes certain words and extends their meaning in the Greek (New Testament) and Hebrew (Old Testament) Both those languages are very intricate languages. Their words are far more specific than we have in English. For instance, there are 3 or 4 different words in Greek that mean Love. Each one describes a different kind of love. I believe God specifically used these 2 languages because of their richness and also because each letter in both languages also has a numeric value. It behooves the serious Bible Student to look up various words in their original Greek and Hebrew to really get the full meaning 
Anyway, I know many of you out there are concerned for lost family members. Especially as we can see the end of the age approaching... the New World Order Rising and the soon coming rapture. 
 
And they answered, Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ [give yourself up to Him and take yourself out of your own keeping and entrust yourself into His keeping] and you will be saved, [and this applies both to] you and your household as well.
Acts 16:31

There are TWO very important things to take from this verse. The first one is the word, "Believe". In English, our word believe means to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something.  It is a head belief that requires no action. But in Greek, it is the word
 
 pisteuō which translates to commit unto, to put one's trust in, to be committed to

Which says that believing in Jesus requires the action of committing yourself to Him, which in essence means to follow Him, to be obedient, to no longer run your own life. This certainly adds a great deal more to just a "belief" in Jesus, and certainly helps us understand why James says

You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! James 2:19

But the word I really want to get to is household oikos
 
In the Greek, it means the inmates of a house, all the persons forming one family, a household, a family (more or less related, literally or figuratively) 

To me, this includes those of our immediate family, mothers, fathers, all siblings and their children, and all descendants (including children and grandchildren)  These are the people who form a Family Unit.  Could it also include uncles, aunts, cousins? I don't know, but it certainly includes the immediate family. 

I don't know about you, but I found this very comforting. YES, I know every individual has to make a decision for Jesus themselves, but Scripture proves that God makes extra provision for family members. Which means that if there is even ONE Righteous person in the family who truly follows Jesus, and that person is praying fervently for the rest of the family, God will save them!
 
Two other Scriptures that prove that we can trust God at His Word.
 
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isaiah 55:11
 
Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. Isaiah 59:1
 
While you are praying for your loved ones, remind the Lord that His Word never returns to Him void and that you know His arm is not to short that it cannot save your loved one.  God loves it when you use His Word in your prayers!



8 comments:

  1. So very thankful for this, knowing that he will keep his word to us. I claim verses daily as to
    even teaching my children his word, bringing them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord,training them in the way they should go, that one day when they are older they will return unto it. I know it will be in their minds.

    So thankful
    Blessings
    Linda Marie Finn
    Faithful Acres Books & Author Services

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's also a great verse to cling to, Linda! Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Marylu! Thank God for His grace and unending love and faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God allowed Noah to bring his family on the ark. They were saved because of Noah's belief. That brings me comfort for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Katy!! The Bible says that ONLY Noah was righteous in his generation... yet he was able to bring all his immediate family. :-)

      Delete
  4. This is indeed so comforting! I've been praying for my brother and his wife who are approaching 80. He was raised in a Christian, Bible-believing home the same as me, but turned his back many years ago. He's such a skeptic and holds onto so much bitterness. Our parents prayed for him constantly, and since they've been gone, so do I. I will not give up. God can always do what seems to us to be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, don't give up, Karen. I know a Bible teacher who prayed for his mother for 40 years! Then just a few weeks before her death, she gave her life to Christ! We serve an amazing God!

      Delete