Monday, January 23, 2023

Calvinism? A Warning!

 
 At the risk of upsetting or angering some of my Calvinist friends, I felt compelled to issue a warning about some of the Calvinist beliefs. I wouldn't have even looked into it except two pastors I highly respect brought up the topic independently of each other. So, please take this in the tone I intend, which is a gentle warning for anyone caught up in this belief. 

For those who don't know, Calvinism in a nutshell says that Salvation is only offered to people whom God chooses. If you are one of God's elect or chosen, then you will eventually receive Jesus's sacrifice on the cross and get saved. If you are not, you can never be saved. This is called unconditional election. In other words, there's nothing you can do on your own to be saved. It is all by the will and action of God. 

There are other tenets of Calvinism such as
  • Total Depravity - Mankind is totally depraved and unable to save himself.   (Agreed!)
  • Limited Atonement - Jesus's blood only covers the elect
  • Irresistible Grace - God's grace is irresistible to the elect. In other words, they will eventually accept it. They cannot resist it
  • Preservation of the Saints - another phrase for Once Saved Always Saved
 
They use Scripture to back up their beliefs and if you took just those Scriptures and didn't know the entire Bible, then you'd probably believe them too. 
 
First let me present the problem this kind of belief presents and then I'll use Scripture and What we know about God to refute it
 
If Only the Elect can be saved, and if that salvation occurs through no action of their own, but is purely by the will of God, then why evangelize? Why spread the Gospel at all? Why not just let God do His thing and just go about our day?  Why even pray for the lost? What good would it do? If a person is one of the elect, they will get saved, if not, your prayers fall on deaf ears. A Calvinist might say that we should spread the Gospel anyway so that those who are elected to be saved can hear it. Okay. But if they are saved anyway, won't God reach them somehow no matter what we do? Why did Jesus tell us to spread the Gospel and make Disciples?
 
Another issue I have is that of limited atonement or as Calvinist like to say Definite atonement. It seems to me that whatever you call it, you are taking away the power in the blood of Jesus to save. If Jesus's death on the cross CAN only save a few elect, then isn't that limiting its power?  Doesn't the Scripture say that Jesus's sacrifice was for all the world? (John 3:16)  If that's true, then by saying it can only save certain people and not others, you are limiting its power, which is blasphemous. Also saying people are saved by Election AND the Cross also requires something to be added to Jesus's sacrifice, which again, is blasphemous and not the Gospel message.
 
The last issue I have is with the belief that you can't lose your salvation. Since Calvinists believe only the elect are saved and not by anything they do, then of course they can't lose that salvation. That would throw off the entire election thing. If ALL the elect must get saved (whether they want to our not!) then no way could they lose that salvation. Do you see how this belief of election lends itself perfectly to being once saved always saved?  In fact the entire "election" belief offers a license to sin for anyone in the elect!  You can do whatever you want, sin as much as you want because you can't NOT be saved.  What a deadly, deadly belief.  
 
Calvinist Scriptures
 
Below I list a few of the Scriptures Calvinists use to prove their beliefs, in particular their beliefs of Unconditional Election and Limited Atonement. 
 
 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:  Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, Ephesians 1:4-5

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.  Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. Romans 8:29-30

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed. Acts 13:48

 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:44

Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Romans 9:18-23 
 
Whoa. If I didn't know the Bible so well, I'd really be falling for this Limited Atonement theology.  From these Scriptures it really does appear that God only chooses certain people for salvation while others He simply creates for destruction. 
 
The First problem with this is that I'd have to ignore a plethora of other Scriptures. Scriptures such as the following:
 
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16  Do a search on Whosoever in the New Testament. Whosoever means ANYONE

Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it. 2 Corinthians 13:5  Why should we be told to examine ourselves if we don't have a choice in being saved or keeping our salvation?

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:  And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? John 11:25-26
Seems you have a choice here, to believe or not. And there's that nasty word Whosoever again

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Titus 2:11

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:9   Big word IF. We have a choice. Also it doesn't limit this to a certain group of people.

 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. John 12:46  Whosoever again!

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe
. John 1:6-7

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: Acts 17:27  God draws us to Jesus, absolutely, but we have to do the seeking too!

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Philippians 2:12  Now why would we have to work out our salvation if it isn't even our choice? 

Throughout Scripture we see that Jesus came to save ALL men, not a certain group with the right DNA, not those He elected. He came to offer man a free GIFT of salvation. He desires that Everyone gets saved and none perish. Salvation is a gift and we have the free will to choose it or not, AND to hang onto it or not. God gave mankind freewill, right? The Calvinists take away that freewill for the elect. I could list a hundred more Scriptures, but this is getting too long.
 
The Second thing that is wrong with the belief of Limited Election is that we have a very narrow view of who God is. God is OUTSIDE of time.  He knows the beginning from the end. Think of it like this. I'm an author. When I start a book, I know the beginning of the story, what's going to happen in the middle, and the ending. I also know each character in the book and what's going to happen to them. I know what choices they will make and whether they will end up winning or losing, being the hero or the villain. Even though I already know a particular character will make the wrong choices and become the villain, I still have to put him in the book so he can choose. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to call him a villain if he never even entered the story. 
 
Now, that may be a simplistic example, but God knows before He even creates anyone, which ones will choose Him and which ones will not. Yet, if He didn't go ahead and create the ones who don't end up choosing Him and put them into the story to at least have a chance, how is that fair or just?  God is a just God. He won't send anyone to hell without first giving them a chance to receive Him. Even though He already knows what they will do. But why just NOT create them at all? But as we see in Romans 9 above, how would anyone know the riches of His glory, mercy and grace on those of us who do choose Him? Whenever mankind tries to understand God, we can end up in error. He is so much bigger than we can ever imagine. 

Warning: You can see how these beliefs can lead people to 
  • Not evangelize
  • Not pray for the lost
  • Become arrogant to be included in the "elect"
  • Have a license to sin
  • Diminish the power and reach of the blood of Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross 
The last item worries me the most because, to me, it's borderline blasphemous, but that is up to the Lord.   If you consider yourself a Calvinist or you ascribe to some of these beliefs, please please be careful. I encourage you to study the Word of God and get alone with Jesus and ask Him for truth. 

Here are some famous Calvinists from the past
John Calvin
Jonathan Edwards
Charles Surgeon
 
And in Modern times
R.C. Sproul
John Piper
John MacArthur
 
 

 

19 comments:

  1. Wow right on target. I am not affiliated with any organized religion for that very reason. They all try to limit God and what Jesus did for us to some level. I have tried a few like Protestant and Baptist but landed with nondenominational and even then had to let it go as they started straying from the Word. I am so glad to have found this blog and all the folks who post here to share information and encourage each other. Thank you Marylu for all the work and research you do. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same experience... Presbyterian, Charismatic, Nondenominational... and some I have no idea what they were. I was young in the faith. Needed to read through the Bible several times before I saw their lies. Blessings, Pam! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Seems that many of the basic truths are being perverted nowadays. I believe this is a large part of your being a watch woman. Heralding the end times is good (honestly though if people can’t see what’s plainly in front of them then…idk) but trumpeting these basic truths that are being watered down is way more important in my opinion. Hopefully it will force people back to studying the Word. Thank you Sister and God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my prayer.. even if someone gets offended by one of my posts, that they will get into the Word and seek the Truth. I'm not saying I always have the truth. I'm only human, but I encourage people to go to the only ONE who does!

      Delete
  3. So true! God desires that none should perish.
    Trust in TheLord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Just follow Jesus and you'll be in good hands!

      Delete
  4. Great blog, MaryLu and so needed! Unfortunately, one of my fave old authors, George McDonald (1824-1905), taught this in his Scottish novels that Bethany House/Michael Phillips reissued in the1980's. But George took it even a worst step further. He taught through some of his books that God actually would save everyone, even after death and having to confront them with hell. But they'd be saved in the end! Totally against many scriptures. I love McDonald's deep, multi-faceted characters and the wonderful descriptions of Scotland in that time period but I have to spit out these "brambles" he teaches. Just like I pray for my grandson in public school: Eat the hay, spit out the brambles like any good cow or horse will do. Hugs, Elva Cobb Martin www.elvamartin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elva!! Always good to hear from you. I didn't know that about George McDonald. What a shame. It tickles the ears to believe what he did, but so against Scripture! I also pray for my grandsons in public schools... Lord cover their ears and protect their hearts from evil! Blessings to you, Elva... and if anyone doesn't know Elva, she writes great pirate romance novels!

      Delete
  5. Praise God Sister,
    This message comes at a timely place for me. Not only have studied this subject out myself. But have written and debated against the OSAS theory. I think the word "Foreknow" Rom 8 really tells the whole story here. If you believe that God knows the number of hairs on our heads then you would also have to believe HE knows those who will answer His call. Problem is, "we don't know", the beginning from the end ! Paul say's we should contend for our salvation. and in Rom 11: 22Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.(NIV).
    But the timely part is this; I left the church 2 years ago because I heard 3 different elders, on 3 different occasions say "we are gods", and they meant it. They get this blasphemous statement from misunderstanding John 10. After confronting them, to no avail, I approached the pastor. All 3 of these guy's had completed his course and received certs of Pastor !!! When the pastor did little to correct this I left the church. Since then I have studied the scripts concerning this thoroughly, and they are wrong, dead wrong literally. As I kept on trying to find out where this came from, I found it is very wide spread among the prosperity preachers, Copeland, Furtic and many many others. The reason I say all this is because as I studied this, I found a group of ministers speaking out against it as I was. So I started to listen to them, Mcarthy, and Voddie Buachman. What they were sayin sounded good, They were calling out all these false preachers. Now God has given me a discerning spirit, and I started hearing them saying some of the thing you mention MaryLu. And just a couple of weeks ago I had a conversation with a friend who follows them, and told him not to agree with everything they hear from them !
    This is a dangerous view of scripture. I believe the Jehovah Witnesses' also believe just a select few go to heaven !
    Well thanks for putting this into proper perspective trusted Sister. And thanks again for conformation that we are seeing the word correctly.
    May our Holy God bless you for your faithfulness MaryLu :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have to be so very very careful these days, don't we, Joe? You leave one group of false pastors and doctrines only to run into another. I still can't believe a pastor could ever say "we are gods". Amazing. Christians need to READ THEIR BIBLES! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very insightful and timely post! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so much false teaching. Even The Chosen is false and perpetrating lies. And just LOOK at all the people who literally think The Chosen is truth, and those who are WORSHIPING Jonathan Roumi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing you didn’t really get into but I wanted to mention also is that this doctrine often leads to another heretical doctrine of what is often called “replacement theology” where the thinking is that the church has replaced Israel! Maybe you could tackle that another time, Marylu, but this is rampant also. It’s straight from the out of hell. A friend once told me if you don’t have Israel right, you don’t have anything right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right. I had not thought of that.. but replacement theology is rampant now! Many different false doctrines accept this. Good idea.. I will put it on my list

      Delete
  10. Very interesting. My son moved to Dallas last June. He found a church in which I was very pleased, and they had an active young adult group. Well, this past November, he found out through a sermon he heard that the church had Calvinistic beliefs. Apparently he did not do his research before he started going there, a lesson learned. He is no longer going to this church but sadly, he is not actively looking for a new church. We have encouraged him to do so. I don't want him falling away. I think it would be easy to do if you are not being fed God's Word. I pray every day he finds a church, one that has sound doctrine. Could you pray as well? His name is David. I named him David after David in the Bible. My prayer for him is to be one after God's own heart.
    Blessings to you my sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara... well at least your son had enough wisdom to leave the church. I'm lifting up a prayer now that David will find another one... a Godly place to worship and meet other believers. God answers prayers! Especially ones like this that are His will. :-) Blessings!

      Delete