Monday, August 14, 2023

Warning! Who were the Nicolaitans and Why Does Jesus Hate their deeds?


But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate
. Revelation 2:6


So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate. Revelation 2:15

I've heard pastors describe the Nicolaitans as being merely people who took authority over the church as leaders "over the laity" who then "lorded" it over the masses. Not true when you look at history. 

So who were the Nicolaitans?

Please note that Irenaeus was a disciple of Polycarp who was a direct disciple of the Apostle John

Nicolaitans were one of the heretical sects that plagued the churches at Ephesus and at Pergamum, according to Revelation 2:6,15. Irenaeus identifies them as followers of Nicolas, one of the seven chosen in Acts 6, and as men who "lead lives of unrestrained indulgence". He also relates them to Gnosticism: "John, the disciple of the Lord, preaches this faith (the deity of Christ), and seeks, by the proclamation of the Gospel, to remove that error which by Cerinthus had been disseminated among men, and a long time previously by those termed Nicolaitans, who are an offset of that 'knowledge' falsely so called, that he might confound them, and persuade them that there is but one God, who made all things by His Word". There is also historical evidence of a Gnostic sect called Nitolaitans a century or so later.
 
The doctrine of the Nicolaitans appears to have been a form of antinomianism, which makes the fatal mistake that man can freely partake in sin because the Law of God is no longer binding. It held the truth on the gratuitous reckoning of righteousness; but supposed that a mere intellectual "belief" in this truth had a saving power.
 
Nicolaitans of the 2nd century seem to have continued and extended the views of the 1st century adherents, holding to the freedom of the flesh and sin, and teaching that the deeds of the flesh had no effect upon the health of the soul and consequently no relation to salvation.
 
Today, the doctrine is now largely taught that the gospel of Christ has made God's law of no effect: that by "believing" we are released from the necessity of being doers of the Word. But this is the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which Christ so unsparingly condemned in the book of Revelation.
 
Polycarp was a disciple of the Apostle John. Hear what he said about the Nicolaitans
 
Towards the end of the first century, the Nicolaitans arose. Irenaeus wrote concerning them, "The Nicolaitans...lead lives of unrestrained indulgence...teaching that it is a matter of indifference to practice adultery and to eat things sacrificed to idols"  What a terrible deception for one to believe that he is free to commit whatever sin he wishes, thinking it is only his flesh sinning, awhile his spirit stays pure through it all. No wonder Jesus said He hates this doctrine. Polycarp declared "Woe to him through whom the name of the Lord is blasphemed"  From Polycarp Disciple of the Apostle John and the Second Centurey 

MaryLu: These are the Hyper-Gracers of our society who believe Once Saved Always saved and use that as a license to sin!  I'm not saying that if you believe in Once Saved Always Saved, you're going to hell, because I'm sure there are many OSAS believers who love Jesus and walk in obedience as much as they can to His Word.  But if you use your belief in eternal security to live a life of immoral indulgence, then clearly you are no longer saved, if you ever were.  Besides, Jesus Hates the deeds of people like this!  Why would you ever want to do something Jesus hates?
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Blessings MaryLu, I love studies like this. Great info. This subject has caught my attention over the years, so I had most of these scripts highlighted in my bible :).
    Now I know I have heard of Polycarp (but is Polycarp a name?) before, but not sure about Irenaeus ?
    But I'll tell ya, there are a lot of intellectual people out there that think their wisdom is going to save them. They do not believe in our Savior. I know one elderly lady who believes in all god's. She believes in heaven but not hell. Her Husband , who I became friend with over the last 2 years, passed away a few months ago at 80 years old. I visited him every week in the hospital and on the day before he passed he allowed me to pray for him, actually I felt he was hoping I would ask him, and he received the Gospel of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior !!! His brother passed last week and i was talking to my friends wife and she said oh I hope I see all my animals, and all my husbands family one day. I said, I know Bill( the husband) is in heaven. Her eyes lit up and she asked how do you know ? I said because he received Christ as his Savior.---- Seed planted :)
    Now Rev 2 is a very interesting chap. Jesus tells the Ephesians I know you cant tolerate wicked men and false teachers, and then v6 you hate the practices of the Nicolaitans', which I also hate.
    I'm sure you know this from your own experience MaryLu, that when you stand up when you hear heresy in the church, false prophets and teachers, people will tell you "you are wrong" "you are just being negative" "your a hater", "Jesus told us to love one another" ! Yes but in Rev 2 He is commending Ephesians for them also hating the evil acts of men, and it seems they may have had to endure persecution I would think for calling these false teachers out !
    I received a study from an inlaw the other that talked about negativity. I assume that is in response to me calling out some false preachers. Not that they are her false preachers, but her ploy is that we are suppose to love them. Well that is not what Jesus just spoke in Rev2. Yes God hates. He hates evil and cruelty and cunning scammers who steal from the poor !. I love the lost, or the sincere, and the brokenhearted, I have not much patience for those who know the word but use it to gain advantage.
    Blessings Sister, in His care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you, Joe, for being faithful to our Lord and witnessing to that elderly man right before he died! And for planting seeds with the wife! And yes, whenever I have called out certain false prophets and teachers and false doctrines, I get hammered and lost subscribers. I left a Bible Study over it when I disagreed with the elders of a church who allowed practicing homosexuals to volunteer in the church. Their stance was that we could love them into the kingdom and not be judgemental, but Both Jesus and Paul did the opposite. Hang in there, brother! Keep working for the Kingdom!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to research. After reading this, I can say that I have met a few people who have lived their lives like this. Sadly. They would self profess themselves as Christians though. Which only gives Christians a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I believe many such "Christians" will be left behind.... sad. You cannot play with the grace of God.

      Delete