Monday, September 25, 2023

The Miraculous Martyrdom of Polycarp, a Disciple of John

 
Polycarp was considered the greatest leader of the 2nd century church. He was a direct disciple of the Apostle John and the pastor of the church at Smyrna. This is how he died. He was around 96 years old and the year was AD 155
 
Polycarp is led out into a Roman Stadium before a multitude. They cheer loudly when they see the famous leader of the Christian church. Finally the man has been apprehended and they look forward to seeing him torn to pieces by wild beasts. 
 
Christians nearby Polycarp hear a voice from heaven speak to him saying "Be strong, Polycarp, and show yourself to be a courageous man." 
 
Polycarp now stands before the proconsul who asks, "Are you Polycarp?"
 
"Yes, that is I."
 
"Deny this Christ of yours."
 
"I will not."
 
"Have respect for your old age. Swear by the fortune of Caesar. Repent and say, "Away with the atheists!"
 
Polycarp gazes at the multitudes around him who anxiously await his execution and motions toward them with his hands "Away with the atheists!"
 
The proconsul frowns. "Swear, and I will set you free. Reproach Christ!"
 
"For 86 years I have served Him, and He has done me no wrong. How then can I blaspheme my King and Savior?"
 
"Swear by the fortune of Caesar!" the proconsul shouts.
 
"Since you vainly urge me to swear by the fortune of Caesar, and you pretend not to know who I am, hear me declare with boldness. I am a Christian! And if you would like to learn the teachings of Christianity, appoint me a day, and you will hear them."
 
"Persuade the people."
 
"It is right for me to offer an account of my faith to you, because we Christians are taught to give the honor due those in authority, for God ordains powers and authorities. But as for these people, I do not count them worthy to hear an account from me."
 
"I have wild beasts at hand. I will throw you to them unless you repent."
 
"Call them on! We Christians do not repent of what is good in order to adopt what is evil. It is a good thing that I have been changed from what is evil to what is righteous."
 
"I will cause you to be consumed by fire, seeing you despise the wild beasts!"
 
"You threaten me with a fire which will burn for an hour, and then be extinguished, but you are ignorant of the fire of the coming judgement and eternal punishment reserved for the ungodly. But why delay? Bring on what you wish"
 
The proconsul commands his herald to proclaim three times "Polycarp has confessed he is a Christian!"
 
The crowds roar and shouts, "This is the teacher of Asia, the father of the Christians, and the one who overthrows our gods!  He is the one who has been teaching many not to sacrifice to our gods or to worship them! Burn Polycarp alive! Burn Polycarp alive!"
 
The wood is gathered and placed around Polycarp, but when a soldier approaches to nail him down so he won't run, he requests, "Leave me as I am, for He who gives me strength to endure the fire will also enable me, without you securing me by nails, to remain without moving in this pile."
Then Polycarp looks up to heaven "Oh Lord God Almighty, the Father of Your beloved and blessed Son, Jesus Christ, through Whom we have come to know You, the God of angels and powers and all creation, and of the whole family of the righteous who live before You, I give You thanks for counting me worthy of this day and hour, that I should have a part in the number of Your Martyrs, and that I may partake of Christ's cup, and the resurrection of eternal life both of soul and of body through the incorruption that is imparted by the Holy Spirit. Among Your martyrs may I be accepted this day before You as an acceptable sacrifice, as You have prepared and as You, the God of Truth, revealed beforehand to me, and now fulfill. Therefore I praise You for all things. I bless You and glorify You, along with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Your beloved Son. To You, with Him and the Holy Spirit, be glory both now and in all coming ages. Amen!"

The soldiers light the fire, but something miraculous happens. The flames form an arch or circle around Polycarp, Christians who were nearby report they smell a sweet odor like frankincense coming from the pile and Polycarp is NOT burning. 
 
When the commander sees that Polycarp is unharmed, he orders one of his men to "pierce him through with your sword. Let's end this." When the soldier pieces Polycarp, so much blood gushes out of him that it extinguishes the fire.
 
But Polycarp has finally gone on to meet Jesus. 
 
Why am I telling you this? For inspiration, to increase your devotion to Jesus. Let the boldness and bravery of such Godly people in the past, give you strength to endure whatever may come before Jesus returns to rescue us!  
 


4 comments:

  1. 💓thank you MaryLu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow MaryLu ! Incredible faith. As I was reading, I was reminded of a preaching I heard about the torturous ways Christian were killed back in the early church. The speaker talked about "Roman Candles". I wont go into details but literally burned to death. I remember thinking as I have had a few minor burns over the years due to my trade, how painful even a small burn can be and what a awful way to die ! And thousands died that way for Christ ! I admire the courage of Polycarp, and I believe so did God, because He spared him that, and made fools of the wise proconsul at the same time.
    What a powerful testimony of faith and the power of God, Glory to God in the highest !
    Speaking of testimonies, I was very much moved by your Dear Sister. I noticed that at the top of the blog, and read it to tears. You bring glory to His name in such a statement of deliverance. It not only gives us a better insight into our Lord, but into one another as well. This explains a lot of where your love and passion for the Lord comes from !
    There is a script that say's " we are saved buy the Blood of the Lamb and the testimony of our mouth !
    And by the way, when I was a kid I loved all the old pirate movies, and in high school had some thoughts of becoming a writer !
    May the Lord of Lords continue to fuel the fire in your heart !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about those "Roman candles". Such a horrible way to die! But I do believe God was with them and removed them before the pain became unbearable. How far the church has fallen from those days.... now, I would bet 99% of believers would not die for Jesus.
      That's so interesting that you also loved pirate movies and wanted to write! Birds of a feather flock together, I guess!! Thanks for reading my testimony... it's all about Jesus!!

      Delete