Monday, October 2, 2023

What is the Meaning of Life?

 

  How fulfilling is your life?  When Jesus walked the earth, He offered an alternative to a life of sin, frustration, aimlessness, and meaningless.  What He offered was unlike what anyone else has ever offered.  People were drawn to Him from all over. They hungered for real life.

A bit of personal information here. I spent roughly 35 years of my life searching for meaning, for purpose, for value. I was a young, attractive girl who followed everything the world told me would bring me happiness. I got a college degree, a good job, got married, had kids...  then got divorced because I was "unhappy".  I spent years after that going to clubs, dancing, drinking, having relationships with men. I had money, good looks, success and lots of attention. But what I didn't have was peace, real joy, purpose, and meaning. Now that I'm in my 60s, I look around at people in the world and I see them all seeking the same things I was. Everyone is really looking for one main thing. That is REAL love. They want to be loved unconditionally and understood. Then out of that love come purpose and meaning. 
 
It's especially hard to see older people deal with this meaningless life. I know a man in his 70s who had it all when he was younger. He still has money, but now his health, looks, and strength are gone. His marriage of many years is empty and he is finding out that nothing he did or anything he had was really worth it all. The Bible says our lives are like vapors, like a mist here one second and gone the next. For those of us older than 60, we can attest to how fast the years went by. The only thing that matters is where we will spend eternity. Eternity is forever. This life is 80-90 years if you're lucky. 

So, how did I ultimately find meaning, purpose, value and love? I found it in Jesus, the Son of God, who forsook ALL His glory, all his luxuries, all his princely privileges in heaven and came down here in the form of man, died a horrific death and rose again so we could now have our relationship restored with God, the Father and ultimately end up in eternity with Him.
 
To have this life of hope, joy, satisfaction and significance, Jesus challenged His disciples to a radical change in lifestyle.  He said:
"If any of you wants to be My follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow Me.  If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it.  But if you give up your life for Me, you will find true life." (Matthew 16:24-25 NLT)

To "shoulder" or "carry your cross" means to do the will of God and follow Him in the midst of difficulties-to believe in the faithfulness and goodness of God even when it seems impossible.

Jesus Christ says that if you do this for Him, then you will find "true life"-the highest quality of life known to be possible.  The most fulfilling, satisfying, rewarding and genuine life you could ever have.

Not everyone will choose this life.  Some will try to see if they can find life another way.  But to those who choose to follow Christ, they will be rewarded with the best life imaginable!  Take it from me. it's true! The pleasures of sin are fleeting and unfulfilling, but the relationship I have with Jesus is beyond wonderful, incredible, and something I would never give up for all the treasures and pleasures of this world!

Why not trade your life for His today and see what happens?  It may seem risky, but it is a greater risk hanging on to your life instead!
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I love this MaryLu! So well said! The ONLY way to true fulfillment in life is in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't write all of it. It came from a devo someone sent me.. but I added my personal story. I thought it was a GREAT witnessing tool so pass it along to whomever the Lord leads! Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this message It was very timely ( coming just after a conversation on “not living life” ) with my Wife Come soon Lord Jesus and I pray all who need an epiphany will receive it and live for Jesus Amen Joe K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen MaryLu,
    What a great word ! I lived much the same, literally "running with the devil". Remember that song ! I used to blast that on my high powered Pioneer stereo. Now it makes me shutter !
    I have a new song now. One we used to sing at the Pentecostal church I went to when I was first saved.
    I have decided to follow Jesus, I have decided to follow Jesus, I have decided to follow Jesus, and I'll never turn back oh oh oh ne e e ver !.
    We've come a long way Sister in Christ
    In that, be blessed !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I shudder at many things I used to do and listen to... but thank God, He kept chasing us and didn't quit! Now. I sing that new song along with you!!

      Delete
  4. I’m having a really bad day. I needed to be reminded of this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your day... but happy this helped you! Blessings

      Delete