Monday, February 19, 2024

Don't be Afraid of a Shadow!


If you've been a Christian for awhile, you've probably memorized Psalm 23. It's a familiar passage to most of us. But sometimes in the familiarity, we don't really absorb the full meaning. Recently the Lord revealed something to me about the Shadow of Death, so I decided to do a line by line study of this wonderful Psalm! I pray it blesses you!

The Lord is my Shepherd

What does a Shepherd do?
 
A good Shepherd provides the basics; food, water, shelter, and protection. He knows where to find the best food and even where to find water in a drought. He also builds the sheepfold and may even provide a short-term shelter while away from home base. 
 
A good Shepherd is always on the lookout for danger such as wolves and other predators or dangerous landscape. He trains His sheep to hear His voice so that they will follow Him away from danger. If a sheep is wayward and won't listen to Him, He may have to discipline that sheep.
 
A good Shepherd leads and guides the flock to safety and to better pasture. He cares for the sheep and heals them when they are sick. He helps the young, in experienced, and aged to keep up with the flock. 
 
I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd risks and lays down His life for the sheep. But the hired servant who is neither the shepherd nor the owner of the sheep, when he sees the wolf coming, deserts the flock and runs away. And the wolf chases and snatches them and scatters the flock. Now the hireling flees because he merely serves for wages and is not himself concerned about the sheep cares nothing for them. I am the Good Shepherd; and I know and recognize My own, and My own know and recognize Me. ... John 10:11-14

I shall Not Want
 
Because He is the Good Shepherd, there isn't anything I will lack
 
No good thing does He withhold for those who walk uprightly Psalm 84:11
 
He Makes Me to Lie Down
 
Hebrew word rāḇaṣ which translates to (cause to, make to) lie (down), make to rest, sit. 
He wants us to rest!  To not worry, to be at peace!

In Green Pastures

Places that are well-watered, lush, soft, and plenty of food

He Leads Me Beside the Still Waters

Throughout Scripture Waters are equated with Nations. When the nations of the world are in chaos, the waters are in an uproar and storming. Hence, where our Shepherd leads us is to a place of peace!

He Restores My Soul

Restore is the Hebrew Word  šûḇ  which means Refresh, Deliver,  It has a meaning of returning, as in turning back to God.  Our souls are our minds, emotions and wills. Let's face it, our souls get pretty damaged in this world from all the evil around us, from heartaches, from people who have hurt us, relationships which have broken, homes that have been broken, etc.  Here, the Lord promises to return our souls to their original state... to a state of refreshment as we grow closer to Him. 

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

What are the paths of righteousness?  This is the good plan God has for our lives. These paths are His paths, His will for us in this life and the next. Each path brings us closer to Him and delivers us from this evil world. Each path leads to wonderful blessings if only we listen to the Shepherd's voice and stay on the path! 

Notice He does this for His name's sake!   In other words, His leading us doesn't have anything to do with how good or bad we are. Even if we've strayed from Him, He will still try to lead us back onto the right path! 

Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

Notice first that it's a valley. A valley often symbolizes a time of trouble, a hard or difficult time, a time when we are not at our best. But here's the thing the Lord recently revealed to me. Death is only a Shadow!  These valleys we cross only have the SHADOW of Death. Shadows can't hurt anyone! No matter what the shadow is, illness, poverty, lost loved ones... whatever it is, because the Lord is the Good Shepherd, these things are only shadows!  So we do not fear them. Who fears a shadow? 
 
O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting? 1 Corinthians 15:55

Thy Rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

A rod is a symbol of a Shepherd's authority and protection. He used it as a weapon to defend the sheep and also as an implement to count the sheep. This is called passing under the rod. As the sheep passes beneath the Shepherd's rod, the Shepherd has a chance to fully check on the sheep's health and wellbeing.  

A Staff is a symbol of a Shepherd's love and guidance
A Shepherd uses his staff to grab the sheep and bring them closer to Him. If a sheep is wandering off (thinking there may be greener pastures elsewhere), the Shepherd uses the hook of his staff to grab the sheep by the neck and bring him back.
 
What a wonderful picture of our Lord rescuing us when we start to wander away! What a merciful God we serve!
 
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies
 
A table in the Bible was a feast among family and friends. To feast in the presence of an enemy was a symbol of victory over them.  Our Shepherd has already won the victory for us! Over the devil, death, hell, and the grave!  This table could also be the wedding feast table where our final victory is realized!
 
Thou anointest my head with oil;
 
What is the significance of annointing with oil? 
 
In the Old Testament the High Priest was annointed with oil as well as the furnishings in the tabernacle. Hence it seemed that annointing something or someone with oil was akin to setting them apart as holy and blessed by the Lord 

Jesus encourages his followers to anoint themselves with oil whenever they take up the practice of fasting (Matthew 6:17). And to pour oil on the sick as part of the healing process (Mark 6:13).

So having our heads annointed with oil sets us apart as holy and blessed and belonging to the Lord. It also heals and cleanses us
 
my cup runneth over.
 
The obvious imagery here is that the blessings God gives us are so many that we cannot contain them!  
 
What eye has not seen and ear has not heard and has not entered into the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him  1 Corinthians 2:9
 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: 
 
Notice He doesn't mention  that we don't have trouble, trials, temptations, and struggles. But through all of that, His Goodness and Mercy NEVER leave us. 
 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever 

And the best part of all is that after this life, we will be with the Good Shepherd in His House Forever!

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. John 14:2-3

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 1 Thess 4:17

Take a moment today and meditate on all that our Good Shepherd has done for us and is doing and give Him praise!
 

13 comments:

  1. Amen! Alleluia! I recite this psalm every night when I wake up and have trouble sleeping. Meditating on each line helps to calm me. Thank you for the insights you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I really like about this, is that we only walk "through" the valley of the shadow of death - we're not staying there. That's so encouraging to me knowing it's not forever, God will lead me out of it in His timing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this encouragement today! I have always loved the 23rd psalm. I agree that it is so familiar sometimes we miss the impact of what it is saying. I love the fact that we can sit and be fed and anointed with healing oil and all our enemy can do is watch. I also love the fact that goodness and mercy follow us. They are always there; we can’t outrun them or get away from them in spite of ourselves and our failures. Jesus and His love are so awesome and amazing. He is always our faithful shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!! I think sometimes it's easy to forget how much He loves us and cares for us...

      Delete
  4. Have you ever read "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23?" It's much like this blog post but more in depth :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GreetingsAnnointed Lady of our Lord,
    This is really rich Sister. I could bask in this all day. The promises of protection and provision are endless. I love the analogy of the shadow, who fears the shadow, Amen.
    I also really liked the "passing under the staff" ! a way of counting and examination. A way of knowing who's missing and who is sick in one way or another !
    And yes, sitting at the table in the presence of our enemy's. A form of spiritual warfare and a decree that we sit at our Shepards table and will sit with with no one else. To look the enemy in the eye without fear in the name of Jesus.
    Just lovely MaryLu, my you feast in the presence of the King of Glory tonight !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost forgot to add my name :)

      Delete
    2. Soon, Brother, we will both feast with our Lord in the presence of our enemies! Blessings

      Delete