The Fear of the Lord, or simply fearing the Lord, what does it mean exactly? Does it mean we cower before Him, trembling that He might inflict some punishment on us? No. It means so much more than that. Some people might say it means reverence toward God. And yes, it does mean that as well. But what does reverence mean? Worship? Awe? Absolutely! Yet, the fear of the Lord is even more than that. It is worshipful love and adoration and thanksgiving and praise all bundled up together. To fear the Lord means He is number 1 in our life. It means we love him more than our own life and we strive daily to walk in obedience and to please Him. We don't do it because we worry he will punish us. Although sometimes that kind of fear can keep us out of trouble! But we do it because we know Him and love Him and because He is God!
You might say that is a tall order, and yes it is. But once you get to know Him, really KNOW Him, it comes naturally.
As a personal testimony, I can honestly say that the Lord has showered on me many of these blessings since the time I got truly saved. He has blessed me far far more than I could ever deserve. He has protected me, defended me, provided for me, honored me with the sense of His presence, spoken to me, strengthened me when I thought I couldn't go on, given me confidence, increased my faith, and promised to save my children! So, let these Holy Words sink deep in your soul. Then Fear the Lord as He deserves and believe what He promises to those who do!
Let me list some of the benefits from Scripture of Fearing the Lord. This is not an exhaustive list, but one that should help you grasp how much God wants to bless those who truly know and love Him.
And the Lord listened and heard them;
So a book of remembrance was written before Him
For those who fear the Lord
And who meditate on His name.
“They shall be Mine,” says the Lord of hosts,
“On the day that I make them My jewels.
And I will spare them
As a man spares his own son who serves him.”

No comments:
Post a Comment