Monday, November 8, 2010

God can save anyone!

Do you remember the story of King Nebuchadnezzar in the book of Daniel? This guy fascinates me.  He was so narcissistic, it was funny. I mean building a huge statue of gold of yourself and forcing everyone in the kingdom to fall down and worship it?  Sound like some of our Hollywood stars and politicians today? But, I digress. Then, King Neb saw with his own eyes, Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego, whom he tossed into the fiery furnace for Not bowing down to his statue, emerge from the furnace without a single burn mark on them. In fact, they didn't even smell like smoke! Afterward, in Daniel 4, he sent out a note to all the peoples in his kingdom, proclaiming the mighty works of God.

Still, years later, Neb seems to have forgotten his own proclamation. He has a terrible dream which Daniel translates as basically this: You're going to go completely nuts in the head and live out in the wilderness, eating grass and being soaked with dew, until you acknowledge that God is God over all the kings of the earth.
Not exactly great news, huh?
But King Neb totally ignored the message. God gave him a year to repent of his terrible pride. But as he's walking on the roof of his palace he proclaims "“Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?"
A second later, God struck him down with madness and drove him away from the city.

Why do I tell you all this? Because God had a plan. And that plan including saving good ole King Neb for all eternity. Talk about your stubborn cases!! It took 7 years to get every ounce of pride out of him, but finally after living like a crazy homeless person all that time, King Neb finally humbled himself and praised God, giving the glory to God for everything.

Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble

Do you know someone, a loved one or friend perhaps, who is stubbornly resisting God? Who won't listen to you when you talk about the Lord, who maybe even laughs, or worse, who has cut off the relationship because of it? Are you praying for someone who seems so lost and so stubborn that they will never see the light? Then perhaps Neb's story will bring you hope.
Believe me, when God decides to save someone, He goes to GREAT lengths to open that person's eyes. In this case, extreme lengths! LOL. But he got Neb, and we have no idea how many other people in that kingdom came to know God and are in heaven now because King Nebuchadnezzar finally submitted to God.

My husband was very much like King Neb. For years I prayed, I fasted, I tried to convince him about God. But he wouldn't listen. Finally when I was nearly ready to give up, God showed up in a HUGE way. He gave my husband an experience similar to the one he gave Saul of Tarsus, who became Paul. Someday I'll share the story. But for now. Keep praying, Keep believing. God is a HUGE God.
And He can save anyone!

15 comments:

  1. Mon Nov 8th,
    Morning, MaryLu.
    Well ... I will most certainly hold to this great truth ... that our God is a HUGE God ... and yes He can, save "anyone"!!! I will keep steadfast ... hoping, believing and praying for the -- lost in my own family, and, for the lost everywhere ! We serve an awesome and faithful God !!! Praise and honour and glory be to His Name !!!
    Thanks for sharing about this stubborn king, MaryLu .... I fear there are "MANY Neb's" out there ... still today ! God is willing that "NONE" should perish ! Amen to that !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the main reason God tarries....to save as many souls as can be saved. Excellent lesson, MaryLu. You may not think that you can ever be a Bible Study leader, but you already are one....thanks for the post. God bless your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lengths, like Jonah being swallowed by the giant fish!

    How do you help lead people to Jesus? I'm starting a Bible study at my school and I'm not quite sure how to help someone if they want to take that step.

    ~Abigail =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Abigail: I hope you don't mind me putting in my thoughts. I hope this helps. If someone asks you how they can receive Christ, say this:
    How to receive Christ:
    1. Admit your need (I am a sinner).
    2. Be willing to turn from your sins (repent).
    3. Believe that Jesus Christ died for you on the Cross and rose from the grave.
    4. Through prayer, invite Jesus Christ to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit (Receive Him as Lord and Savior). You can offer to pray with them. Then, tell them:

    If you prayed this prayer, The Bible says...

    "For 'whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.'" Romans 10:13

    This is just the beginning of a wonderful new life in Christ. To deepen this relationship you should:

    Read your Bible every day to know Christ better and talk to God in prayer every day.

    You are doing a good service to God, Abigail. May God bless you as you teach others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments! Abigail, I completely agree with everything Debbie said. I think it's important for anyone coming to the Lord to understand that this is not a get out of hell free card. They can't just say a prayer and then go live their lives like they want. It's an entire life change. But more importantly, it's a relationship with God. Let them know that through the sacrifice of Jesus, they can talk to God whenever they want, about whatever they want, and that He will speak to them and guide them and love them always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you both for the advice! I'm really anxious about this. I've been thinking about it so much that it near drove me crazy. I figure that was God pushing me to start this. I will. I think it will be wonderful for everyone.
    I'm very organized so I've started planning EVERYTHING. Poor Microsoft Word -- I abuse the poor thing. I know God will help me figure it out though. No need be anxious!

    Thank you again for the advice.


    ~Abigail =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abigail, I'm proud of you! I'll be praying for your new study group. Let us know how it goes. K?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Abigail, I'll be praying for you as well. Debbie, thank you for showing her those steps to salvation. It's amazing how simple God's gift truly is, and yet complex because we can't understand Christ's reasoning behind it.

    MaryLu, thank you for this post. I hurt at times for the people in my life who I am certain don't know Christ. I pray for them, but it doesn't always seem that it's working. But It's a balm to my heart every time I remember that it never was and still isn't God's plan for everyone to die and go to hell. It's His Will that everyone accepts Christ into their hearts, that He can spend eternity with them. My constant prayer is that He just won't give up on the people I love, not yet.

    ~Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, MaryLu-I absolutely love this post. Its such an encouragment for me,and to everyone that I read it to. Whenever I talk about my faith to everyone, they always assume that I became a Christian just to escape judgment and to have a free ride to heaven. They don't seem to understand(or even want to hear) that it is so much more than that!And that we are just as human as anybody, and we still suffer the consequences of our actions, just like they do. But I thank God that He loves us so much to go to such lengths to save us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved the story of Nebuchadnezzar - it never ceases to astound me just how far God will go to save someone so evil. Of course, it never ceases to astound me that God called sinful ol' ME to be His child, either. :-)

    @Abigail - you might check if your local Christian book store sells individual Bible tracts (mine sells them for like 50 cents apiece). You can keep a couple with you when you lead your Bible study so that when someone is curious about accepting the Lord, you won't have to worry about getting nervous and forgetting a specific verse or anything like that, because it will all be written down for you. And I just wanted to say thank you for showing such faithfulness in doing what the Lord is telling you to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Sasafras, I thought of you when I wrote this. I'm glad it encouraged you.
    Eszter, I couldn't agree more. Being a Christian is so much more than a ticket to heaven! It's a ticket to a life of purpose, hope and joy here on earth and a relationship with God!
    Sapphire, great idea about the Bible tracts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, MaryLu. This was so encouraging to me as most of my extended family is not Christian and my heart aches for them. It is really on my heart with the holidays coming up and family coming up from NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so good, MaryLu. And I hope you will share your Neb story (about hub) soon......think it will help me! Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad this post encouraged you, Julia. I have family members too who don't know the Lord. There is no greater sorrow. I'll be praying for your family!
    Jackie. Yes, I'd be happy to share my husband's story. coming soon....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you ever thought of putting your and your husband's testimony in one of your books? I think that would be really cool....

    ReplyDelete