Sunday, May 4, 2008

God is on the throne!


Do you believe that? Do any of us really truly believe that God is on the throne. That He is in control, He has a plan and it's all going to work out in the end?

I'll admit to being a serious control freak. I believe it comes from a long chaotic childhood in which I had absolutely no control. That coupled with being a nervous anxious type person, I tend to drive myself crazy (and everyone around me) trying to create a "safe, structured" environment for me and my family. Not much change. Nothing out of the ordinary. I like to know what to expect from my day and I don't like surprises! I realize none of the characters in my books are like this. First of all, that would be boring and secondly, I don't like being this way.

But recently, God has been revealing to me in little subtle ways that no matter how much control I think I have, I really don't have any at all. Normally that would be a terrifying thought for me, but along with that revelation, He's also showing me that He is in control. Not just of the big things, like the world, wars, politics...etc. but of every single detail of my life! Including sending the right person at the right time to solve a major problem I was having in one of my books, Including arranging sticks up on the trail I walk on in the exact shape of a cross over and over all the length of my walk.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord directs the steps of the godly.He delights in every detail of their lives.

For some people who don't know God in a personal way and don't understand how much He loves them, this too could be a fearful situation. I've met some people who think God could zap them with some tragedy at any time He wanted, like He's some kind of tyrant welding out punishments depending on His mood. But if you know God. If you really know Him and His love, you understand that He's not like that at all. He's a loving parent who would die for His children (and in fact, He did just that by sending His Son) His only goal, only desire is to bless us, to create in us a new heart so we can experience joy and peace, and live life to the fullest in this life and the next.

The apostle John in 1 John 4:18 says "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love"

I believe what he is saying is that when we come to truly understand God's love for us, we won't be afraid of anything any more. Why would we? Our Father is the most powerful being in the universe and He's crazy about us. So, when problems come, tragedies strike, rest assured, God is still on the throne and He has allowed these things for our benefit. Does He enjoy watching us suffer? NO. But like any good Father, he wants to see us grow more mature. He wants to build our character.

All He asks for is our trust, and to remember He is on the throne. He is in control.
No more fear!
Daniel 2:20
Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, For wisdom and might are His.
He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings;
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.
He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, And light dwells with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment