Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Turkey anyone?


Although we live in the thick of the big city, our house backs up against a wildlife park. There is a dirt trail that winds through that park where I walk everyday, do my praying, and story plotting. I feel so blessed to have it so close. In the 12 years that we've lived here, I've seen all kinds of wild animals up there, wild boar, deer, coyotes, bobcats, turkeys, cows (I know, they are not wild) snakes (yikes) tarantulas (yuk) mice, lizards, and hawks.

And sometimes we don't even have to go up on the trail to get that "wild" experience. like this week. Twice we've found turkeys in our yard (No, not our children) but real wild turkeys! So, my husband ran out and got this picture of one who flew up onto our roof. I thought you might enjoy it as much as we did. They are quite large. About 3 feet tall, I would guess. Anyway, they get real scarce around Thanksgiving. I think the word gets out about the holiday meal and they all scramble to hide until it's over.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool Picture! Yeah, I think they have their own calendars and they know it's safe right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to look out and see a cow in your backyard lol. But a wild boar does sound a little scary.

    ReplyDelete