Friday, December 18, 2009

The Raven Saint chapter tease



The winner of last week's free copy of The Raven Saint is: Kaitlin Rose!


This week's contest I will keep all the names of the people who have entered so far in addition to the ones entering this week and I'll put them all in the same hat. In other words, if you've already entered twice and you enter again this week, your name will be in the hat 3 times.





Now, that you know a bit about the characters, can you predict what they will say? Here's a snippet from chapter 5. At the end, choose the response you think best fits our hero, Captain Rafe Dubois.



Chapter 5


Hot fluid seeped into her mouth. Spicy, bitter. It slid down her throat, stealing her breath. Grace jerked her head away. Her cheek brushed against something soft. The pungent scent of meat intermingled with the sting of brandy that bit her nose. Vague nightmarish memories lurked like shadows in her mind, taunting her. Memories of her capture and a tall Frenchman with a heart of stone.
A hand gripped her chin and forced her face forward. Fingers that felt like rough rope and tasted of salt pried her lips apart. More hot liquid burned her tongue, poured down her throat, and she gagged. Raising a hand to her mouth, she sprang up, coughing. Dark eyes peered down at her, the spark of concern in them instantly hardening.
“Drink this, mademoiselle.” Captain Dubois inched the bowl toward her mouth.
She pushed it away, shaking the fog from her head. “Can you not wait until I am conscious?”
“When you are conscious, you do not eat.” A shadow of a smile played around his mouth. He rose from the bed and set the bowl atop a table.
Only then, did Grace realize she lay upon a real bed. She scanned her surroundings. Two massive wooden chests ornamented in gold and bolted shut with iron locks guarded the wall opposite her. Upon the plush Persian rug at the room’s center sat three colorfully upholstered armchairs. Beyond them, a cabinet housed a haphazard assortment of books, swords, pistols, and bottles. A large carved mahogany desk perched before a span of windows that stretched across the stern of the ship. Two guns, perched in their wheeled carriages, flanked either side, ready to be shoved through portholes should an enemy dare to approach from behind.
She was in the captain’s cabin.
In the captain’s bed.
With the captain looming over her, wearing that sardonic smirk upon his lips.
Her chest tightened. “Why am I in your bed? What day is it? How long have I been here? And why are you feeding me instead of Father Alers?” She glanced down at the loosened ties of her bodice, and a flush of horror heated her face. “How dare you?” She cowered away from him.
Captain Dubois raised his brows. “Which question would you like me to answer first, mademoiselle?”
“None.” Grace swung her legs over the side of the bed. “I wish to leave this instant.” But her body would not cooperate. Her breath caught in her throat. Her head spun like a waterspout upon the sea, and her legs quivered like pudding. She lifted a hand to her forehead.
A warm hand gripped her arm. “I suggest you lie back down, mademoiselle, and eat something. It has now been seven days since you have partaken of a full meal.”
Grace shifted from beneath his touch and gazed out the windows where the rays of the morning sun angled across the captain’s desk, setting the brass lantern aglitter. The glow lit the quadrant, backstaff, charts, and quill pen and beamed off a rapier, setting aglow the amber liquid in a half-empty bottle.
“Mercy me, I slept here all night?” She snapped her gaze to Captain Dubois. The possibility sped through her mind, seeking an alternative, any alternative besides the one that her purity could never consider.
He grinned, yet a spark of playfulness flitted across his dark eyes. Remembering the loose bindings of her bodice, Grace threw a hand to her chest. “What have you done?” Terror crowded in her throat.
He gave a derisive snort then shook his head and gripped the baldric strung over his white shirt. “Never fear, mademoiselle. I prefer mes conquĂȘtes to be awake.” He sauntered to his desk.
Conquests. Grace swallowed, praying he told the truth, praying she had not become one of his conquests during her unconscious stupor.
He picked up a chart, examined it, then tossed it back to the desk, sending dust particles floating within a ray of sunshine into a frenzy that reflected on his face. Danger hung on his broad shoulders like a well-fitted cloak, but there was a depth to this man that went beyond the baseness of a common brigand, a depth that lurked behind those dark, smoky eyes. He spoke of a greater good—what had he meant by that?
“You should not treat women as property to be conquered or sold to the highest bidder,” she finally said. Grace clasped her moist hands in her lap, trying to stop them from trembling. “Intimacies”—her voice squeaked and she cleared her throat—“between a man and a woman should remain within the sanctity of marriage.”
He turned, crossed his arms over his chest, and chuckled as if she’d told a joke. “Do spare me your proverbs, mon petit chou pieuse.”
“Did you just call me a shoe?”
A smile broke across his lips and widened. He chuckled. “Non. A little pious cabbage.”
“A cabbage? Of all the. . .”
“It is a term of endearment.” He waved a hand through the air, then settled his gaze upon her.
Endearment, indeed. More likely an insult to her intelligence. Fidgeting, she looked away beneath the warmth in his eyes. She’d never been alone in a room with a man other than her father. And Father Alers. What would Reverend Anthony say? Her reputation would be besmirched beyond repair. But what did it matter? Where she was going, she would not require a reputation.
He approached her. “You slept here because I feared your fever would return, and I loosened your bindings to allow you to breathe.”
Graced fiddled with the ties. “Though I am appreciative of the clothes, Captain, the bodice is far too tight.”
“Perhaps you are too fat.” He grinned.
“Fat?” She jumped to her feet. The cabin spun around her. “You are no gentleman.”
“And it took you only seven days to reach that conclusion?”
Grace sank back down to the bed, studying his cavalier attitude with curiosity. “You seem proud of your boorish behavior.”
“I am proud of many things that would not engender your good opinion.”
“Of that we are in agreement, Captain. But as I am sure you know, ‘Pride goeth before a fall and a haughty spirit before destruction.’”
He chuckled. “So, do you chastise me for being proud or being a boor?”
“Both.”
“Yet you are the one who has fallen.”
“I have not fallen,” Grace snapped. “I am here for a reason.”



Will Rafe say?

A. "You are here because I wish it so."
B. “Oui, to line my pockets with gold.”
C. "Oui, for my entertainment."
D. "There can be no reason for this madness."
E. "My apologies, mademoiselle, if I have offended you."

35 comments:

  1. I love your characters, they always say the last thing I expect them to say. :) I think Rafe will give answer "B"- can't wait to find out what the answer is. :) Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B.


    Elenedjinn13@excite.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too know that your characters always say what I least expect...so I"m going with b. and my second choice is a.


    can't wait to read your book!!!

    Rae
    raebyuel(@)gmail(.)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm in a quandry between A and B. I don't think it would be C since his personal entertainment doesn't seem to be the principal interest here. D would seem to indicate that Rafe himself thought that bringing Grace to the ship was madness, which I don't think is his opinion. I really can't see him apologizing as in E.

    So...either A or B. He does seem to have a motivation for kidnapping her, so it's probably not just personal. I guess that leaves me with B, which clicks with his mercenary tendencies.

    B "to line my pockets with gold" is my answer!

    What a fun idea, MaryLu. You should do this again sometime!

    csteward@gmsa.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to go with A ~ Just do be different. lol I think it would be the "honest" answer - but I don't think he's ready to be honest yet. Maybe he would say it just to get her goat because she seems to want to be in control.

    I think he could very well say B - but since everyone else picked that, I had to go with something else. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm, I'm going with B. Love the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friday, December 18th,
    Hello again Marylu. My answer is: "A" .... "You are here because I wish it so."
    Wow ... I can hardly wait to read the entire book !!! This is so exciting !!!
    Thanks Marylu ! And, a "Merry and Blessed Christmas" to you and your family !!!
    In Him, Brenda Hurley
    (brennie7@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely don't think it is D or E. That leaves A B and C. I guess if I had to choose I would choose B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and my email is gasweetheart211[at]netscape[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think A. He is telling her that he is in control, and she is there because he wishes it to be so...whereas she sees God is in control. he may need to work on that pride ;) Can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm ... I'm gonna have to go with A or C. I mean, I know he's planning to sell her, so B makes sense, but he also seems the type to want to scare her.
    Can't wait till it comes out - I've been counting the days ever since I finished The Blue Enchantress (exactly three days after that one came out)! :-)
    -Sapphire
    sapphirethepirate@bresnan.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. B. “Oui, to line my pockets with gold.”

    gcwhiskas at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to have to go with "A", although, he may say "E" with sarcasm. :o)

    Ohh...I cannot wait to read it. The suspense and anticipation is killing me!! :o)

    Go, MaryLu!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, can't wait to read it! I'm going to go with B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would probably choose A or B, but more A. I can't wait to read the book! It looks good!

    Michelle
    SailorJeanne@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could you do this to us?! I must know more!!!
    My guess would be A. But we'll all just have to wait and read it.
    Very excited about this book!


    Random Ruthie
    Scribe of the King

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'm going to go with "A"-he seems to be a man who feels he is in control and likes it that way. Thanks for another opportunity to win this book! :)

    stokes[dot]a[at]suddenlink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I like all the possible responses, each (A-E) puts a little different twist on it. But I am going to go with A.

    Amanda Lewis
    jon.lewis16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I can't wait to read the book:~)

    I think Rafe will say B. “Oui, to line my pockets with gold.”

    Great teaser Mrs.Tyndall:~)
    Merry Christmas Y'all,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll guess "A"
    paulinewollmann@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. "E"
    rachelmarie42@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing like dangling a carrot in front of us!

    My first choice is A. Then E.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, this is a delicious teaser!

    I think he'll say B.

    srfbluemama at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. My first choice is "A"...but something tells me it is "B"

    karenk
    kmkuka(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, it's Amber Minnehan... again. LOL! Anyway, thanks for giving us an even bigger opportunity to win, MaryLu! It's hard to tell what Rafe will say. But, I think that it might be B or C. Too hard to pick just one though. LOL! Thanks again. God Bless!
    Amber Minnehan
    amberminnehan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I believe he'll say:

    A. "You are here because I wish it so."

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  27. The only answer that I think totally sounds like something Captain Rafe would say is letter "B". I don't think that it would be C or E at all. He doesn't like her why would he want her for entertainment, and he is not that kind of man to be apologizing for something at all or at least not that soon. I can't wait to know what the real answer is...i would feel silly if it was either C or E. :)
    That was so fun. Is this the last week we do this? I hope its not. I love teasers...this chapter got me exited. Awesome teaser MaryLu! Now its going to bother me why was she on conscious. :)
    God Bless!!
    oreonut@hotmail.com

    p.s. Congrats to Kaitlin Rose! I hope that you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like a great book XD Can't wait to read it!

    I'm going to choose B just because *Lol*

    loverofcats87@hotmail.com

    God bless!
    ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful story. I am going to guess A. Blessings
    tarenn98[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  30. please enter meinto the contest

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi,Like everyone said this is hard but my first thought was A, so A It is!

    Hope you and your family have a Blessed Christmas!

    SW

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think I will go with A. Please enter me.....would love to read this one. I am about to start reading Blue Enchantress. Thanks.
    jackie.smith(at)dishmail(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think that B is the answer, but I am not positive. Ooo I just can't wait to read the rest of this book!!! Every new thing you post makes me even more excited!

    sarah45431@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think its A.

    I can't wait for this book to come out. It sounds so good.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hard choice,but i'm going to say B.Can't wait to read it.tracee77@windstream.net

    ReplyDelete