Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The movie Avatar creates depression?

Look what I just found on a CNN article?
On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.
Here are just a few of the ways people are coping on Avatar-Forums.com :
"I just watched avatar a few weeks ago and I'm feeling depressed and sad. It's like I want to reach out and be in Pandora. I'd do anything to be in Pandora. I've tried so hard to dream about me being on Pandora but it hasn't worked."

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it. I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.'" 

Please see my review of Avatar earlier today.  Do you know what people are longing for? Heaven. Paradise. Eden. Just like I said in my review. This awesome world created by Cameron and technology is like a glimpse into Heaven, into what's awaiting God's children. And naturally, it would make us long and yearn for such a place and would also make our own world a bit gray by comparison.
But don't get depressed!  You can go to this great paradise when you die!  Don't despair.  Seek God. Believe in His Son, Jesus, and you too can live in Heaven for all eternity!!

6 comments:

  1. Those people make ME depressed. How can anyone get that conclusion out of a simple MOVIE!? Again, IT IS JUST A MOVIE! Besides Heaven will be FAR better than Pandora (which IS fictitious).
    ~Abby Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it really strange that people could have such an extreme reaction to a film, but on the other hand, I remember what it was like to think that this horrible world is the best anything's ever going to get.
    This is a great reminder of just how desperate people are for the Truth, and why we need to always be ready to lead them to it.
    -Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why a lot of modern day movies and television shows make me angry. People were the same way once they watched Harry Potter. I know of children that got mad at Christmas time because the Harry Potter world wasn't becoming a reality for them. The problem is that people believe the stuff on the T.V. and such because they view it and see it with their own eyes and hear it with their own ears but it's a computerized world. They're taking it in but watching so much of it that they can't always be deciphering real and unreal. I wish for better things in the movies and on T.V., though this was an excellent post about eternal life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie with my brothers for their birthday a little while ago and was depressed sitting in the theater because it was just SUCH a long movie! I just wanted it to END! I was not a fan.

    I was just hearing about this yesterday from someone. It's really sad. People don't think there's a place like that, perfect in every way, but there is! They just don't want to believe it because it means becoming a Christian and living for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, everyone! I think people are just looking for something. They know something is wrong with this world. They know things are not how they are supposed to be so they seek fulfillment in entertainment... whether it be movies or tv or books or video games. The problem with that is when they finish those things, they are still left feeling empty. Thank God, He has told us that this world is not the end, but only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't C.S. Lewis say, “If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world” ?

    ReplyDelete