Friday, May 20, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides

For just over two hours today, I was once again immersed in my favorite world. Pirates, Tall ships, the Sea and History!  Add a small buttered popcorn, and you might as well have carted me off to Heaven right then and there.  Yes, I am a certified pirate maniac, freak, lover, whatever you want to call me. I have the bumper stickers and the published novels to prove it.

My impressions.  Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!  I realize I may be a bit biased to love anything piratical, but there wasn't a single moment when my eyes, mind, and heart weren't engaged. I didn't miss Orlando or Keira at all. Captain Jack Sparrow stole the show as usual anyway. In addition,  I must say I was most pleased not to see any of the undead or fish people in this sequel.  They did have one zombie, but he was fairly innocuous. And of course the mermaids. Beautifully done. A bit frightening in their nature, but upon deeper inspection, we see they have hearts as well.  I have to say, watching them only added to my zeal to write that mermaid story someday!  They added some characters and brought some old ones back.  My favorite new character is a man called the cleric. He's a godly man who believes in good versus evil. And the best part about him was that Hollywood didn't make him a dork like they tend to do most religious people. In fact if you pay attention, you'll see a real theme of good versus evil running through the entire movie. As well as the theme of sacrificing oneself for another. Ah, good stuff!

The movie starts in London with great scenery and costumes.. then heads out to sea in search of the fountain of youth. The real historical figure of Blackbeard the Pirate plays a huge part and from what I know of him, the writers did a great job of making him as vile as he truly was.  I wasn't sure how they were going to end the story, especially as it dealt with eternal life, but I was very pleased with the outcome. They left a few loose threads at the end which indicate at least one more film, making this pirate lover a happy sailor!  All in all, a fabulous addition to the pirate saga and well worth your $10 and a bag of popcorn (which almost cost as much as the movie)

So, grab your cutlass, put on that head scarf, and sail to your nearest theater for a truly enjoyable foray into the wonderful world of pirates.

11 comments:

  1. im going in a couple of hours, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Just got back from the theatres! Saw the movie--loved it too!
    The cleric was my favorite and was very handsome, so well done on that! I love how they didn't pervert his faith or make him say things a man of God wouldn't say like they usually do.
    I really liked Keira and Bloom in the others but feel they'd have no place in this one and am glad they were left out.
    Completely agree with what you said, MaryLu!
    ~Rachel Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it, too - especially the inclusion of the cleric, as seems to be the general consensus. :-) I liked how it had much the same feel as the first film - just a great storyline and lots of adventure. The second and third films seemed very dark to me, so it was nice to have the more upbeat feel back.
    Now, if only somebody would turn your Legacy of the King's Pirates series into movies, MaryLu! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, MaryLu, did you like the movie? LOL
    I am the same way after seeing a Pirate's movie. I usually want to go right back and see it again. I haven't seen it yet, but I already know that I will own it one day.
    Thank you for reviewing the movie without giving too much away.
    And I already know that I won't miss Orlando or Keira.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just knew you'd be one of the first to see it! Thanks for the fantastic review. Am hoping to go this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saturday, May 21st,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Thank-you so much, for sharing your thoughts about the new movie.
    Attention: MaryLu, and, all of her fans ... please don't make me walk the plank ... but, I haven't really been a P-O-T-C movie-fan. Sad, but true. However, after reading your most exhilerating description and comments about the film, I just "might" head out to see it too ! Truly !!!
    P.S. - I have my 10 year old granddaughter visiting here this weekend ... do you think it would be "appropriate" for her to see too, and/or -- would she even understand it ??? (Don't want it to be "over her head and boring" ... (as if) !)
    Thanks again.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great review :) :) I really would like to go see this movie. I LOVE the character of Jack Sparrow, the costumes...everything. In fact, I saw the third "Pirates" movie on tv the other day. So it just increased my desire to go see this movie :) :) :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) :) I hope they do a fifth one :) :) Have a lovely weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. my thoughts on the movie: it left a lot of loose threads, as you said Marylu, so yes, we need another movie. But over all I think I'd give it an 8/10. I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Brenda Hurley
    There are some sexual jokes, though she might not recognize them...There are zombies with mangled faces and fights with scars you see continually. The plot is a little complicated but not at all compared to the last three.
    I watched them when I was around ten, but I never was sheltered so I've seen more than I wish I had. It depends on the person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent Brenda a note privately, but yes.. it might be a bit too scary for a 10 year old. Of course it depends on the 10 year old like you said.. 12 or 13 maybe.. but not sure about 10. Even the first POTC would have been a bit frightening, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sat May 21st,
    "Evening, MaryLu."
    Well .... my son, and 10 yr old granddaughter and myself, just got back in the door from seeing the P-O-T-C movie ! Nicole was fine ... it was "me" who was scared in several scenes !!! She thinks this #4 movie was the best; and Stephen is still "considering" which one ! Funny ... but I liked -- the fighting scenes, the mermaids, and the ships ! Not sure about "all" the characters though. 'Some' of them are just down-right strange !!!
    But yes, I agree ... there is "likely" going to be a #5 -- to deal with some unanswered scenarios ! (1) Will Cptn Jack Sparrow "ever" get his Black Pearl ship back ??? (2) "Who" is going to rescue Angelica ??? And, (3) Is the Cleric/Missionary "really still alive" - though dragged to the depths below ??? Hmmmmm !
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete