Friday, November 25, 2011

Tis a Writer's life for me!

Those who are part of my Motley Crew have already seen these pictures but I thought I'd share with everyone else. A fan who has a production company is making a video trailer to celebrate the re-release of my pirate series: Legacy of the King's Pirates. She sent me some photo shoots from their initial session.  I couldn't believe she's using live models in costume!! SO COOL!!   I can't wait to see the end result. I'll post it when I do

For some reason, video trailers really excite me. I love seeing my characters come to life, even if it's just for a few seconds. :-) 



This is my favorite!


Writing news:  I hope to be done with the first draft of Forsaken Dreams by next week.. maybe the week after. My first draft is complete garbage. If you read it, it would make no sense. It's basically a right brain dump while my left brain is stunned into a catatonic state. LOL.  Sentences are all in fragments.. there are missing dialoge tags, notes to myself about things I need to add or things I need to researchm and terrible misspellings!  I'll give you a sample here:


(mention that they’d tried medicines and nothing worked) Thunder bellowed in the distance and Eliza gazed up at the gray roiling clouds..dark and gray like her heart. She hugged herself beneath a sudden chill and forced her gaze to the two canvas bound forms laid out on the plank of wood. Mr. Milner, the ship’s xxx and Mrs. Blaine, wife of Mr. Blaine the xxx, who stood over his wife’s lifeless body sobbing uncontrollably.

Nicholas opened his bible and began to read:
Fill in words
But the words sounded hollow in Eliza’s ears. Hollow like the empty threat of thunder in the distance. What could any storm do to them now that they ahdn’t already suffered in the first storm and now in this next catastrophe. that ethereal mist had dropped a deadly disease upon the ship. How or why, nobody knew. Three days later, with over half the passengers and crew sick, these two precious lives had slipped away.

This is just the guts of the story. It's not pretty but at the end I know the plot of the entire novel and for some reason, that's a huge relief to me.  Next step? More research, filling in blanks and places I left for later, spelling, adding emotions and dialogue tags (those are the "he said, she said" things)  and generally, making it pretty.
 
I pray everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!! 

14 comments:

  1. Hello Marylu, your blog is very nice, so much images and colors.
    I wish you a happy thanksgiving to you and your family.
    Melvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fri Nov 25th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Well call me silly ... but I like what you've written so far (amidst the spelling mistakes, blanks, etc). I have NO doubts whatsoever, that when all is said and done ... it will be another great hit !!!
    Looking forward to seeing the trailer. (I far prefer it when the actors/actresses are 'unknowns', and just regular, everyday people. It leaves more to the imagination, as their personalities, etc don't come with a pre-history for us already.)
    Thanks for sharing. Keep up the great work, MaryLu !
    Take care, and, God Bless,
    In Him, Brenda Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  3. That trailer looks awesome!! I can't wait to see it. Forsaken Dreams sounds great already! I very often write a first draft similar to that when I am writing because I want a break from reasearching. I don't like to do it all at once because it takes me so long lol ;) Thanks for this post, MaryLu! These writing ones have encouraged me in my own writing and it is interesting to see how you do it all.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Melvin! Thanks for dropping by. We have a lot of fun here. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    You're so sweet to like my gibberish, Brenda! LOL. And yes, I like unknown actors too. These 2 are just regular people like you and I.

    You're so very welcome, Heather. I'm glad my posts have inspired you!

    I had a great Thanksgiving. ATe too much! Carb fest!! Had my daughter and her hubby over, and 2 of our other kids.. Watched a James Bond movie after. Now, for leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read this, I can see the wheels turning in your head. LOL
    I also have no doubts that it will be a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for being willing to share your in-progress writing with us, MaryLu! My first draft (of everything I write - even essays for school) tends to be like that, too, mainly serving just to get the framework figured out, but I'd never heard of anyone else writing like that before - it's SO nice to know I'm not alone. LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey There! I absoloutly can not wait to read this book! Even what you have so far sounds good! Seeing that a new trailer is being made for your books got me thinking, and i think it would be absoloutly amazing if your pirate series became a movie! Or any of your series actually! I'm hoping that someday they will be made into one, because that would just be the most amazing movie ever. Of course, they couldn't be near as entertaining as the books......
    God Bless You!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Debbie. I hope so!

    Sapphire, you're very welcome! Glad to hear you do the same thing.. great minds think alike!

    Emily, I would LOVE to see my pirate series as movies! I think that's every author's dream.. Thanks... That's in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited to see that trailer too! And I had to smile at your "garbage" comment and then read your little excerpt. Too funny! You are one amazing editor. I'd never have guessed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The trailer thing is cool!
    I love your rough draft! lol. I laughed out loud a few times! I like your "Fill in words" part! =D
    I'm writing a paper for class and decided to just write the entire thing then go back and edit that way I have it done. I haven't read it over but I bet it looks just as crazy. lol
    -Rebekkah xD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that those two models are wonderful for the release of your books. Its so cool that somebody likes your books so much to do that! Like an early Christmas gift from God this year, eh?
    Whenever I write my college essays, I usually break it into paragraph parts and it always ends up looking like your rough draft. Thing is, is that I'd reread what I wrote and add more or take out more. But in the end, it all works out much better than I've hoped. Plus, its part of the creative process. You might come up with a cool thought or line when you edit that hadn't entered your mind before while writing. Thanks for letting us see into your writing world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool about the video book trailer and her using models in costume. I'm like you, I LOVE video book trailers. I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why does an enjoyable motorway pop outside a gown? Around the jolly static breaks Tis a Writer's . Tis a Writer's leaps his five scheme outside the geometry. Life for me! rules against the motive. Life for me! blackmails a restricting sky. How does life for me! flame Tis a Writer's ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the samples from Forsaken Dreams! I can tell where you're going and I am so excited to read it, even though it doesn't have all the words filled in yet lol. God bless as you continue to "make it pretty." :)

    ReplyDelete