Monday, November 18, 2013

Want 10% of God, you'll get 10% of God.

And He said to them, Be careful what you are hearing. The measure of thought and study you give to the truth you hear will be the measure of virtue and knowledge that comes back to you—and more besides will be given to you who hear.
For to him who has will more be given; and from him who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away by force.  Mark 4:24-25

I love the Amplified version of this verse. It really puts it into perspective. Basically I believe what God is saying here is this:  You can have as much as Me as you want... as much of my power, my glory, my faith, my love, my righteousness, my knowledge, my goodness..etc..   You can know me as much as you want to know me.  You can hear from me as much as you want to hear from me. You can live that live of victory in me!  But it will cost you. What is the cost? You have to really really want it, you have to want it so badly that knowing God, knowing His truth and love and power become more important to you than even your daily food and water.  
 
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matt 6:33 NKJV

God is not messing around. He gave 100% of Himself. He gave His very Son for us. He expects 100% in return.  And the measure of time and energy and desire you put into knowing God and pursuing God is the amount of virtue, knowledge, and power you will receive in return. God is not stingy. But He is a gentleman.  If you only want 10% of God... just enough to last through Sunday's sermons and a couple of prayers during the week, but other things take precedence the rest of the time, then you will receive 10% of Him.

And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.  Matt 10:37

I hear from so many people who say they don't feel God's presence, they don't hear from God, they don't have the peace and joy they expect from their salvation. They don't see miracles. They feel their faith is weak. I always ask them, how much time do you spend with God, talking to Him, listening, reading His Word. What is the number one thing you think about during the day? 

I know we are all super busy. And I'm not talking about hours out of your day. I'm taking about taking time here and there and cultivating a relationship with God. I'm talking about giving Him as much time as you would a spouse or a best friend. I'm talking about spending time studying the Scriptures believing they contain the words of Life! But it's even more than that, it's a heart attitude of desperation.. of love and desire for more of God, not because of what He can give you, but because of who He is.  I guarantee that the more you know Him, the more desperate you will be for more of Him because you'll start to feel that peace, that joy. Your faith will grow. You'll witness miracles. You will have more influence on family and friends. You'll find your purpose and fulfillment. Life will no longer be the simple drudgery of making ends meet and longing for the weekends!  

But of course, perhaps that's not what you want. Perhaps you're content with 10% of God. You'll still make it into heaven. But you would have missed so much here on earth!  

6 comments:

  1. Mon Nov 18th,
    Morning, MaryLu.
    "Amen, and, Amen" to all that you shared .... but "ouch" too. I know I'm falling so short ... not putting in enough effort, time, and passion seeking His face. You hit the nail-on-the head .... excellent blog today !!!
    Thanks so much for sharing. Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always so deeply touched, inspired and convicted by your posts, MaryLu.....thank you for this!! Yes and Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I'm very moved by your blog. You make me want to strive for a better, deeper and more personal relationship with my Lord. But as stated above that is totally dependent upon me. Thank you for not holding back and speaking what is sometimes not easy to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies!! Thank you for your sweet comments! I really appreciate them. I'm glad the post helped you in some way. :-)
    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find comfort in knowing that even if I don't feel God or hear God, He is there. Him being there does not rely on me. Even when I am not seeking Him as I should be, which is always, He is there and He offers forgiveness. What comfort and joy we have in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MaryLu,

    Thank you for the beautiful reminder! When I DO take the time to really open my heart to the Lord, it's like I step into a new realm ...a little taste of peacefully & joyfully being with Him in the Garden of Eden. But when I let life's distractions pull me away from Him, it's like I'm slogging through the wastelands of this fallen earth. I truly needed to hear this (again), so I can continue to put it into practice. I'm going to cultivate my intimacy with Him to be a powerful habit, so I will experience serious withdrawals when I get pulled away & not let it happen! :-)

    Thank you again,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete