Monday, March 2, 2015

God is in Charge and God is Good!

This was the message of the sermon at church yesterday and it resonated so much with me that I knew I had to share it.

Let's face it, life is a struggle at best, at worst, it can be a tragedy. The world around us is falling apart. The violence and depravity I see on TV and read about in the news makes me sick to my stomach. Terror and fear are all around us. People are losing jobs, getting sick, facing financial disaster, losing children to the world, facing cancer, etc. Children are sold into sexual slavery, people are being slaughtered. It's mind boggling.

But God is in Charge and God is good!

That's something we need to remember no matter what is going on in our own lives and in the world around us. Yet I think sometimes we lose sight of both those facts. Sometimes we may think God is in charge but we don't believe He is good. Or sometimes we still believe He's good, but we don't think He's in charge.

When Jesus was about to be arrested by a troop of Roman Soldiers, He knew what lay ahead of Him. He knew He was going to be tortured beyond what any human could endure. Not only that, He knew He would be separated from His Father and have to endure His Father's wrath that was meant for us. YET... it was Jesus who walked toward the Roman Soldiers. He didn't cower or hide in a cave somewhere. He met them head on. He walked willingly to His torturous death. He was in Charge.

Jesus therefore, knowing all things that would come upon Him, went forward and said to them, “Whom are you seeking?”
They answered Him, “Jesus of Nazareth.”
Jesus said to them, “I am He.” And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them. Now when He said to them, “I am He,” they drew back and fell to the ground.
Then He asked them again, “Whom are you seeking?”
And they said, “Jesus of Nazareth.”
Jesus answered, “I have told you that I am He. Therefore, if you seek Me, let these go their way,”
John 18

When Jesus said "I AM"  He was declaring Himself to be God.  (the He is added by translators)  God's name is "I AM", the name He gave to Moses from the burning bush. So when Jesus said "I AM", the power of God knocked the soldiers to the ground!  (Did you know that current estimates put the number of armed Roman Soldiers at anywhere from 200-1000 men!) I've always wondered why they got knocked to the ground. One of the reasons may have been that Jesus wanted them to know that He was God and had the power to defeat all of them with but a single word. Yet.... in the end, He went with them... willingly to the cross. 

Jesus was in charge. And He as showing them that He was in charge. 

But God is also good. One of the last things Jesus did was demand that the Romans let His disciples go.  It's amazing to me that the soldiers actually did let them go, especially after Peter sliced off one of their ears!  But it was the command of Jesus that they obeyed. God is good. Jesus was only thinking of His disciples, of their welfare, of their good, not about all that He faced.  He went willingly to His death so they could be set free!!

God is so good!!  Write these 2 things on your fridge, on a note card, stamp them on your forehead, whatever you need to do to remember them when the next problem arises. It will give you the peace and strength you need to get through anything!

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28


9 comments:

  1. I love that tidbit about the "I AM" and the soldiers falling down. How could they not have known that there was something truly phenomenal about the man they were going to arrest? The image of it in my mind is ... mind blowing! 200-300 soldiers, is even more so! Wow. I am in awe. God is good.
    I've been thinking a lot about a scripture in Matt.14 - when the disciples were on the stormy water in their boat and Jesus walked out to them. They thought He was a ghost, and He replied, "Take courage, it is I. Don't be afraid." (vs.27) It is I. There it is again ... the Great I AM.
    Thanks for the post. More good thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday 2nd,
    "Afternoon, MaryLu and Caroline."
    Excellent message, another timely word in due season. God IS in control. And, God IS good !!! Our previous Pastor always used to say: "God is good, ALL the time, NO matter what" !!!
    We press on, even with all going on around the world. But our hope is in Him ! He will never leave nor forsake us !!!
    Amen, and, Amen !!! SO very thankful for His amazing love !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless, In HIm, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Brenda - your comment brings to mind something my friends and I have said so many times: "God is good all the time, and all the time - God is good"!! His goodness to us is too much to fathom - and we are all so unworthy, no one else can give the wonderful gifts He does!! Like Caroline, I love the visual of all those soldiers falling to the ground. I am so blessed and grateful that God is in charge of my life - I can now better appreciate His goodness and stress less with Him as my Anchor!! Thank you for this reminder, MaryLu!!

    Love, prayers and hugs, MaryLu!!

    Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting. :) I really needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you are why I was prompted to write this. :-) God Bless!

      Delete
  5. I wrote here yesterday and it doesn't appear. I'm just quickly trying again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, I guess I must have done something wrong yesterday. Hi, MaryLu. You haven't heard from me in a long time, and I'm sorry...just the busyness of life as a missionary in Chile. I have been wanting to write for a while and mention that your email talking up CS Lakin's book Shoot Your Novel was a great help to me as a writer. After reading that, I got most of her other work too! So thank you so much for that tip!! I really, really wish I could be at your conference, but not possible at this time... Anyway, I've appreciated your encouraging blog over the year and really should tune in more often. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Always so great to hear from you! No need to worry about commenting.. I realize how busy you are doing God's work! Just pop in now and then and let me know how you are doing or if you have any specific prayer requests! I will pass on your note to C.S . Lakin. She will be thrilled. She's a good friend of mine. Blessings and Hugs to you and yours!

      Delete