Monday, May 18, 2015

A Royal Priesthood!

 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a dedicated nation, [God’s] own purchased, special people, that you may set forth the wonderful deeds and display the virtues and perfections of Him Who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.  1 Peter 2:9

Whether you like it or not, if you are a Bible-believing follower of Jesus, than you are part of a royal priesthood. What is a royal priesthood?  It is a group of people who are both priests and rulers.  The priest part we can operate in now on earth in this age, the ruler part we will enjoy mostly in the next age.  So, what does a priest do?

A Priest:

  • Represents God to the people and the people to God. 
  • Has access to God that most people don't have
  • Offers sacrifices of repentance for others
  • Spends time in study and devotion in order to be made holy
  • Offers thanksgiving and praise to God

Too often I don't think of myself as a priest, do you? Yet when I  read over this list of duties, I realize that I can do all those things here on earth. In fact, I'm supposed to be doing all those things. I represent God to the lost. Where they don't have access to God, I do and I can pray for them. I can ask God to forgive them, to open their eyes to His love and glory. I can and should be devoting my life to ministering to God and becoming more Holy every day.  And lastly, I should be in the habit of daily offering thanksgiving and praise to the Father.  If I'm not doing all those things, then I'm shirking on my duties as a priest.

We have been purchased by God. We have been set apart by Him just as He did the Levites in Israel. What is our goal summed up in the verse above?

To set forth the wonderful deeds and display the virtues and perfections of Him who called us out of darkness into His marvelous light! 

And Lord knows this dark world needs a good dose of God's holy light!  That's us! 

Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven.
Jesus, Matt 5:16

So, put on your priestly robe and get out there and shine!


.

2 comments:

  1. I try to put on my robe each day.....some days are harder than others. Don't know when you are heading back home, but praying for safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chappy! I try to keep my robe on too! Flying back late Wednesday! Thanks for your prayers

    ReplyDelete