Monday, November 30, 2015

Do you know His voice?

"To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” John 10:3-5

I love this illustration Jesus gave of Himself as the great Shepherd. It brings me such comfort to know that He is constantly watching over me. Our world today is in such mayhem and people are running to and fro like sheep gone astray, lost and afraid. But those who've given their lives to the Shepherd needn't fear or worry because He watches over us. 

However, I'm struck by the phrase "for they know his voice". It makes me wonder how many of His sheep actually know His voice?  How do you get to know someone's voice? When my husband or one of my kids call me from somewhere else in the house, I don't have to guess who it is. I can tell from their voice. Why? Because I've spent countless hours with them. I know them. I would go so far as to say that I could tell from a text message who was speaking to me, just from the words used, the content, the way it was phrased. This familiarity comes from hours on end of spending time with someone.

Yet, I wonder how many of us truly hear the voice of God? I'm not talking about reading your Bible, though that is immensely important. I'm talking about the living Word of God that bubbles up within your spirit and is meant just for you, those intimate directions, comforts, the wisdom given for a certain task, the Words of love needed when you're feeling down.  Do you know that you should be hearing from God daily?

In Luke 4:4, Jesus said “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’”

The Greek meaning of the word "Word" here is Rhema, which means the active spoken word of God, not the written word.  In other words.... it seems to me that Jesus is saying that hearing from God daily should be as crucial as our need to eat food. And it should be as frequent as our need to eat. But how do we actually hear God's voice? I know I don't hear Him as often as I'd like.  I believe God speaks to us all day long, giving us directions and comforts and wisdom and encouragement. But most of us never hear Him.  

We live in a culture that is afraid of silence. At any moment, most of us are listening to or paying attention to multiple distractions: TV, Radio, MP3s, CDs, DVD, IPhone, IPad,  etc... We are plugged in, plugged to, and plugged up! We are terrified to just sit in the quiet and reflect. Afraid of what we might have to face or learn about ourselves. Yet, I guarantee you, that's the only way you will hear God. Stop doing and sit still. Meditate on Him and learn how to open your spiritual ears. It takes practice, it takes time, but oh, what a reward!! To hear from God Almighty Himself!  

Why is this important? For a number of reasons. 

  • To get direction/guidance
  • To learn who God is, His character, His faithfulness, His goodness... and that you can trust Him
  • To feel His love for you and feel your love for Him grow
  • To receive a promise
  • To receive comfort and hope
  • To protect against deception

The last benefit most people don't think about but it is extremely important for the days we are living in. Here what Jesus says:

"Yet (my sheep) they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” John 10:5

Jesus warned us that many false prophets and false saviors and messiahs would arise in the end times, performing signs and wonders, 

For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. Mathew 24:24
  
This deception will be so great, the entire world will fall for it, including, I believe, many Christians.  That's why it's so important that you know the voice of God. Because when you do, you will never follow another voice! 


.


 


5 comments:

  1. Monday 30th,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Excellent word again today ! "Plugged in, plugged to, and plugged up" ... yupp, that's about the size of it for today's world. Sometimes I find it difficult to just -- "Be STILL, and KNOW that I AM GOD" !!! - Psalm 46:10. So much noise around us, so many distractions .... takes discipline to be "still" and "listen" ! (Still working on it !)
    Thankful and SO grateful, that He is my Lord and Saviour !!!
    Thanks MaryLu, for yet another timely word in due season ! One I surely need to work on !
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, my friend. This world is so lost right now, because people choose to listen to others rather than God. Yes, He speaks to us and guides us. So many lost sheep out there, following the wrong shepherd.....I find myself praying more and more these days for my family to recognize His voice. I know that God is speaking to them, they just refuse to hear Him. They need to wake up and look around...only God can save them from the coming destruction. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent words MaryLu.
    Last week I was on my IPad playing a silly game when all of a sudden an overwhelming sadness came over me and I started praying,thinking of my grandson who was traveling from the UK to France with Disney On Ice, but then after putting him in God's hands, the overwhelming became deeper, I prayed for my other grandson deployed in that hot mess over there, my tears starting coming as fast as my words and for over -10 minutes of gut wrenching prayers that left me completely drained the feeling if urgency lessened. Was it for either of my grandsons -- no. One was fine in France and the other had returned home the day befor. So who did I pray for? I will. Ever know. I am so glad I was obedient and prayed and cried when I felt the Lord impress upon my heart to pray. With so much noise all around us --I could have missed the Blessing of God's will for me at that moment.
    I love these postings that you do because they challenge me to take that 2nd step out of a comfort zone. Thank you MaryLu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies! Thanks for dropping by! And for your comments. Elsie, I've felt that desperate urge to pray as well! Bless you for your obedience... you never know the lives you saved by that 10 minutes of fervent prayer.
    Thank you for your kind comments. Most every post I write comes from the Lord. Sometimes I may miss His voice but I always ask Him what He wants me to write about on Monday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryLu, I miss hearing His voice as often as I did. I think it is way too much noise to hear His soft sweet voice. I for one know this and it is up to me to come away to a quiet place and be still and place myself at His feet. Thank you my friend for your words in this site..

      Delete