Monday, November 23, 2015

Would you wear rags to your own wedding?

Purity is not a term we hear often in our culture today. The dictionary says that something that is pure is free from anything of a different, inferior, or contaminating nature. Purity itself is defined as a freedom from evil, guilt, pollution, or immorality.  No wonder our culture doesn't talk about purity!

Yet God has much to say about purity. A simple search of the Scriptures reveals dozens upon dozens of references, some of which I will list here. Before you click away thinking this is a boring topic, let me tell you why purity should be our number one concern today (Aside from saving others from hell)

But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure  1 John 3:3

The world is falling apart. Wars, terrorists, famines, disease, earthquakes, greed, corruption, immorality is all around us. It's easy to get caught up in it all and live in fear and confusion. We don't even know who we can trust anymore. The media is bought, Most TV shows and movies have an agenda, politicians have no compunction in lying to our faces. What's going on?  The truth is Jesus will one day come for His church, His bride and snatch us out of this mess before it gets much worse. And in light of that, I've been asking Father God what should I be doing? Should I be stocking up emergency supplies? Should I stand on the street corner with a big "Repent, the end is near" sign?  Do you know the answer I keep hearing.....  Purify yourself. 

We are the bride of Christ. Someday (soon, I think) we will attend the Marriage Supper of the Lamb in which we will be presented as the bride to Jesus. What does a bride wear?  She wears white, pure undefined white. 

And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. Revelation 19:8

Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Revelation 19:7

Sounds like we have some part in preparing ourselves!!??  We don't just say a prayer, "receive Jesus" and then move on. We have a role in getting ready for our prince.  From the above 3 Scriptures, we can deduce that we should be getting ready by purifying ourselves and we purify ourselves by righteous acts. This is what I believe Abba Father wants us to focus on in the midst of all the turmoil.

So, how do we do that? What are these righteous acts? I did a search on Pure and Purity in the New Testament and came up with some great examples.:

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. James 1:27

Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart,   1 Peter 1:22

Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.  2 Tim 2:22

Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. James 4:8

Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God  2 Corinthians 7:1

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Are you purifying yourself??  Are you making yourself ready for your upcoming wedding??  If not, I encourage you to think seriously about doing so. I doubt Jesus wants to marry a bride dressed in rags.

“Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
“Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city."   Jesus, Rev 22

6 comments:

  1. Monday 23rd,
    "Morning, MaryLu."
    Excellent word and message today ! Purify ourselves .... something I wasn't really pondering on. But how else will the world around us "know that we are different, and Whom we belong to" ?
    Of the spiritual things I think on .... thinking of Jesus as the 'Groom', and me (us) as His 'Bride' ... I rarely think about this fact. Yet, I totally know it is truth.
    Thank-you for this great reminder. Much to think on !!!
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done MaryLu.
    With all that the world is going through and you named them all, we need to seek the Lord while we can still find Him. I know that we who love the Lord God have Him in our heart, but with all the corruption around us this verse speaks to me -- Amos 8:11. "The days are coming,"declares the Sovereign Lord, " when I will send a famine through the land--not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the Lord.
    If the word of God is lost so is the world as we know it.
    A pure heart and a pure soul and the willingness to be available for God to use to help others find their path towards Him is what I feel He is calling all those who love Him to do.
    You my friend are doing a tremendous job in putting your light onto a pathway for others to see.
    In His Name
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that verse, Elsie! I pray it is so in this world for many many who turn and call upon God and long to hear His words! Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Just seeing this.....our Thanksgiving was on Monday, so I wasn't online much. Great post. Thanks for sharing this. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading this. What a timely message/word for each of us. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,Tina

    ReplyDelete