Friday, December 11, 2015

Nephilim, are they real?

Happy Friday!  

Nephilim. What are they?  The word itself means "fallen ones" and is used in the Bible to describe the offspring of fallen angels and human women.

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.  Genesis 6:4

This is one of the strangest yet most interesting stories in the Bible. And also a very controversial one. Many Bible Scholars do not believe it was possible that fallen angels mated with human women because how can a spiritual being impregnate a physical being? But what if these fallen ones found a way to assume human form? Why do we think that is so far fetched?  If these were just normal "sons of God", why were their offspring so mighty? And why even mention them in the Bible? Especially in the verses right before the flood story. Also the phrase "sons of God" in the above Scripture is a common term in the book of Job for angels.

Here's another oddity. In the verses right before the one above, it says that these "sons of God" took wives from the daughters of men. For some reason, this really upset God, because in the next sentence He says He won't always strive with man!  Wait. Didn't he tell Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply? And isn't getting married a good thing?

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever,
Genesis 6:1-3

The story proceeds with the flood that wipes out all mankind except Noah and his family.  Is it possible that Satan was trying his best to taint the bloodline of humanity so that the Messiah could never be born? He knew about the Messiah coming to redeem mankind ever since he led Adam and Eve astray. He just didn't know who and when, so his best bet was to ruin humanity's bloodline with fallen angel DNA.  But Noah and his kids had no angel DNA in them. 

Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God. Genesis 6:9 KJV

Perfect in his generations. Hmm. Certainly that doesn't mean Noah was sinless, for we all know that's impossible.  Could it mean that his blood was not tainted? That it was still purely human?  I'm just speculating here, but it kinda makes sense to me.  We all know that God wiped out humanity in the flood because they were all wicked, but what if He had another motive too. What if He wanted to wipe out the Nephilim and those tainted with Nephilim blood?  

Did it work? For awhile. But if you'll look back up in Verse 4, you'll see the phrase "and also afterward"  which says to me that those nasty angels went right back to their dirty tricks after the flood.  We see them pop up again briefly when the Israelites are about to enter the promised land. 

There also we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak are part of the Nephilim); and we became like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.” Numbers 13:33

Remember how God commanded the Israelites to wipe out the inhabitants of the promised land? In some cases even the women, children, and animals?  I always wondered at that brutality, but what if .... what if these people had tainted DNA once again?  What if God was trying to keep His promised people from mixing with them so He could ultimately send His Son to earth through the Jewish people? 

Interesting, huh?  Even more interesting is the question whether Nephilim are still among us today.

Which brings me to my tie-in to books and writing!  My daughter has written a series for Young adults about three high-school girls who become Nephilims when they turn 18.   Good Nephilims with supernatural power. The stories are great character studies on how a highschool girl handles the responsibility of such power as she deals with all the pressures and heartaches of being a teenager. If I had that power at that age, I probably would have incinerated half my senior class!  Anyway, these are gritty stories that deal with real issues facing teens. And did I mention the hunky guys who are Nephilim hunters? 

I'm so proud of my daughter. She cares about the difficulties so many teens face, as she did herself. This is her way of helping ease that pain for some of them.  Here are the books and their links if you're interested. These are not Christian books, but they are clean books, no sex, but there is some cussing--normal for teens these days.  She just released book 2 and I'm nearly done with it. It's so good!  But of course, I might be biased.

PURCHASE FROM AMAZON
       




PURCHASE FROM AMAZON





















 
Beware of Nephilims and Have a Great Weekend!!

..

6 comments:

  1. I've read both of these books and they are really good. Your daughter is a very talented writer, just like her mom.
    Very good post, MaryLu, gives us something to ponder. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking about the Nephilim with my hubby not too long ago. Very interesting stuff. Congratulations to your daughter on her books too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryLu, you certainly know how to grab a person in with your way of words. I have read those verses and must have skimmed over them, but today you have caught my inner awareness of interest of -why is this mentioned --why is this important - and --they are not giant men but evil-- and because I enjoy doing researching - you have given me my homework while I am visiting my family in Georgia. Excellent message.
    Looking into your daughters books for my 14year old granddaughter . You have every right to be proud. I pray she has as many followers as her Mom does.
    Blessings in His Name
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very eye-opening to me. I've had (and heard) hundreds of discussions of who the "Nephilim" were over the years, and nothing ever made sense to me. There is still one sticky point for me. Jesus said, "At the resurrection, people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven." Matthew 22:30. That leads me to believe angels (and our transformed heavenly bodies) will not be reproductive. So I wonder if fallen angels--even taking on human form--could pass anything along except their human *host's* DNA (and evil spirits).

    It's one of those concepts that I feel like there isn't enough information to get a specific picture. I'll definitely come as close as I can, then wait until the unexplainable will be clear in heaven. :-) But your concept is closest to what I would accept more than anyone else's. I love your deep writing--especially on topics most people completely avoid! You write with such clairty, base it on solid biblical research, and give us some serious things to think about spiritually. Thank you!!

    Hugs,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming by, Ladies!! Interesting topic!! Seems like one of those things we may not know until we get to heaven. By the way, if you're interested in more info, you might check out the Book of Enoch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting post, MaryLu - I would like to learn more about the Nephilim also. Congrats on your daughter's books - so glad she has a heart for teenagers, a crucial time to reach young people. God uses the experiences of others to speak to, and reach people - just as he does theologians.

    Love, prayers, and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete