Monday, March 21, 2016

Have we been tricked into celebrating a Pagan festival?

I truly don't want to ruin anyone's Easter, but I've been doing some research on early Christianity and where some of our holidays originated and, well, honestly, what I've discovered has frightened me.

Did you know that Easter is a pagan holiday? It's roots are found in the celebration of the resurrection of the Sun-Goddesses' son, Tammuz.

Here's a brief history 


Not long after the Global Flood, Noah's grandson, Nimrod, rejected the true God and became an evil ruler. He built many great cities and ruled over them. The most famous was Babel where the people tried to build a tower to heaven and become gods.  Nimrod brought much evil and perversion to the people. In fact, he married his own mother, Semiramis, who then became Queen. After Nimrod's death, Semiramis announced that Nimrod was the Sun God, the Life-Giver. Later he would become Baal, a god some of you may be familiar with from Jewish History in the Bible. Baal worship came to be associated with idolatry, demon-worship, human sacrifices and other evil practices.

Semiramis gave birth to a son, Tammuz, whom she declared was Nimrod's son, though he could not be. She claimed Tammuz was Nimrod reborn, the savior of mankind and even that he had been supernaturally conceived. The people also worshiped Semiramis as the goddess of fertility. Her other names were Ishtar, Ashtur, and Easter.

Unfortunately the savior, Tammuz was killed by a wild pig. The queen told the worshipers that when he was killed, some of his blood fell on the stump of an evergreen tree, and the stump grew into a full new tree overnight. This made the evergreen tree sacred by the blood of Tammuz.

She also proclaimed a forty day period of time of sorrow each year prior to the anniversary of the death of Tammuz. During this time, no meat was to be eaten.

Worshipers were to meditate upon the sacred mysteries of Baal and Tammuz, and to make the sign of the "T" in front of their hearts as they worshiped.

Every year, on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox, a celebration was made.  It was Ishtar's Sunday and was celebrated with rabbits and eggs. Ishtar also proclaimed that because Tammuz was killed by a pig, that a pig must be eaten on that Sunday.

The truth is that the forty days of Lent, eggs, rabbits, and the Easter ham have everything to do with the ancient pagan religion of Baal Worship, and ultimately the worship of Satan.

How did they get incorporated into our celebration of Jesus's resurrection?  I need to do further research, but I believe it happened when Emperor Constantine of Rome made Christianity the state religion and many many of Rome's pagan religious practices became blended with Christian beliefs.

Now that you know the truth, it's up to you to decide what to do with it.  I don't believe we should take these things lightly.  I don't believe God does. Some will say "What's the big deal? We know the real meaning of Easter. What harm can some colored eggs do? Or chocolate bunnies?"  Maybe none.  But I'm not taking the chance.   In truth, I'm celebrating the Resurrection of Jesus Christ and nothing else.  Thoughts?





.




20 comments:

  1. Wow, I never knew this! I haven't celebrated Easter in this way for many years. I celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus, our Lord and Savior! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this :) Hubby and I started celebrating the biblical feasts several years back one we learned the origins of Easter (and Christmas too!). There's so much rich history of our faith in the feasts and it's beautiful how much the Passover Seder points to Christ. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this indeed! My family and I had actually learned of this and the roots of Christmas as well a couple years ago, and don't celebrate them anymore because we too believe it isn't something to take lightly.
    We're learning more about the Biblical feasts, and still will celebrate Jesus's Resurrection, but not Easter.
    I applaud you for shedding the light on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mon Mar 21st,
    "Morning, MaryLu, and gals".
    An interesting post indeed. As for myself .... I celebrate this coming weekend only as Christ's death and resurrection. I totally hear what you're saying ... but try to share this post today with the younger generation who have 'young' children ... and they're apt to go off the deep end.
    Don't misunderstand me ... I'm not in favour of nor promoting chocolate rabbits and eggs. 'To me' ... it is all about Jesus Christ ... His crucifixion, His eternal love for us all, dying to save "us" from our sins, and then raising to new life ... so that we may have eternal life ! "He IS risen indeed" !!!
    Thanks for sharing this with us. An eye-opener for sure.
    On this "second day of Spring" ... our temps have dropped yet again, and it is snowing outside !!! (I knew this spring-like weather was a tad too good to be true ... we're still not out of March yet !)
    Take care, and, God Bless, In Him, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost all of our "Christian holidays" originated from pagan origins. The important thing is to redeem them I think and make them all about God & Jesus. The big question is: where is your focus? We never had Santa in our home because he was so warped by our culture into someone he wasn't. We didn't do the Easter bunny etc either. Holidays and remembrances are what you make of them. So, redeem what you can, even as God does. That's our motto at my house. Thanks for the history lesson - I didn't know any of that either! But it won't stop me from celebrating Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind celebrating Easter or Christmas or any other the other "Christianized" pagan holidays, but I am bothered by the continued focus on the pagan symbols that have nothing to do with God. The easter eggs are fun and all, but they don't teach children about God and that is what the Bible says holidays are meant to be, days of learning and remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for being "brave" enough to post this. Now do a research on Christmas and the Christmas tree. All our holidays are from Pagan worship. They were allowed to keep their beliefs and the church incorporated them into holy days in order to win/convert them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments and your graciousness with what could be a delicate subject for some. I appreciate all your opinions very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Molly and Bookishqueen. I don't mind celebrating them either, but it is important to put Jesus at the center, to use these opportunities to point people to Him. Our church organizes evangelizing events on Christmas and Easter, so I believe it's a good way to use these holidays to talk about the Good News. Don't get wrapped up in the egg hunt craze or anything, but use this time for Him.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I won't chime in with all I personally believe, not being Christian, I will point out one thing. Even though we ourselves are redeemed (through Jesus), the pagan practices in the Bible were never redeemed by believers trying to change their world. The pagan practices were so shunned; even the smallest associations with pagan practices were put away from those who worshiped G-d. So, the idea behind "redeeming" days of the year could be construed as admirable, G-d has called us to higher places and He will redeem. Easter this year misses the mark according to the Bible anyway...it should follow Pesach (Passover, according to the brit chadashah (new testament)), in April. Just food for thought. Blessing on all of you! Keep seeking G-d (like you all are already doing); He will show you His truth daily!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such an inspiration! =D For Easter in my family, we don't do chocolate bunnies or eggs. It's all about Jesus. Chocolate crosses and lambs are totally acceptable though. =) Honestly I've heard that both Christmas and Easter fall on pagan celebration and festivals. Not to mention the true Sabbath is actually Saturday and not Sunday, contrary to popular belief. I believe this was meant as to celebrate the pagan sun god, Ra. Legalizing Christianity caused both good and bad things. I love that you're one of the few Christians willing to speak out against what's considered the popular thing. Keep it up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again everyone! It's been a lively discussion. My intent is to inform, not to cast judgement on anyone. I'm just discovering these things myself and believe that Christians need to know so they can pray about what the Lord would have them do. Will that make some people mad? Probably. Will I lose some readers? I hope not, but maybe. Yet, I must speak the truth. Hopefully it comes across with love and humility. That's my intent. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear MaryLu
    It is so refreshing to read this...It saddens me that more Christians doesn't realize this. If I haven't mention I just love your articles. They are apart of my praying and spending time with my Lord Jesus Christ.
    Bonnie B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bonnie! I'm so pleased you are being blessed by what the Lord has given me to write. :-)

      Delete
  15. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS ARTICLE, I KNOW THAT YAHWEH HAVE HIS OWN STANDARD AND IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY AS THE CALL OUT PEOPLE OF YAH,, WHO ARE CALLED OUT FROM DARKNESS INTO HIS MARVELOUS LIGHT TO MAKE A CLEAR DECISION WHETHER TO STAY IN BABYLON AND COME OUT FROM BABYLON.. FROM THE ONE WHO LOVED US WITH AN EVERLASTING LOVE HE SAY: "I YOU TRULY LOVE ME, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS"...AND ONE HIS COMMAND TO US IS "LOVE NOT THE WORLD NEITHER THE THINGS OF THE WORLD(1 John 2:15)..HOW CAN WE BE SURE THAT WE ARE READY TO MEET OUR SOON COMING REDEEMER, WHEN WE ARE STILL HOLDING ON TO THE THINS OF THIS WORLD? (JAMES 1:27) TELL S US TO BE UNSUPPORTED FROM ALL THIS PAGAN PRACTICES OF THIS WORLD.. YAH BLESS!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I had no idea about this! For many years, I haven't observed Easter in this manner. I rejoice in Jesus' Resurrection as our Lord and Savior! Thank you for making this available. here’s a great place to get started

    ReplyDelete